Some REAL advice for bingeing

Options
124»

Replies

• bookfaery
    bookfaery Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good techniques! I have tried so hard and sometime stall it. I go through periods of times when I dont even think about binging and I lose all this weight and something happens to cause me to lose control and before I know it I've lost control.
    It's very odd with me, if I go months without touching something unhealthy I'm ok but if i have ONE thing that I shouldnt something inside me goes off and I over indulge and binge. I cant just have one, I am better off with none. Am I the only one like this?

You are definitely not the only one like this! I'm exactly the same way - kind of all or nothing. I was great, GREAT, for maybe three months when I got back on the weight loss/healthy eating path this time. No junk, no sugar, nada. I went to NYC on vacation with the family, ate fairly well, tracked all my calories, but the dam had burst. Now, I will have stretches where I'm great for maybe four or five days, and then I'll eat an entire 7" cheesecake sitting in my car outside the grocery store. I also find that after I've been VERY good in difficult situations, like family parties and such, I'm proud of myself at first for staying on program. But a day or so after, I give myself permission to do something binge-y. Like eat a carrot cake. Or a can of frosting. This is binge behavior, right, Emily? Planned, yet out of control. Taking advantage of opportunities when no one is there. Your mind thinks of something like ... mmm, carrot cake. And instead of thinking, bah, I don't eat that, it keeps thinking, I. Want. Carrot. Cake.

Okay, done now. Emily and everyone, THANK YOU for understanding and posting your comments and really good advice. I need this so much right now. I'm struggling a lot with these binge-y episodes.
  • emilyc19
    emilyc19 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thank you so much!! i am going to try this :)))))
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    I think it's awesome you posted this. You will help a lot of people :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this :)
  • GiiaSoCrazii
    GiiaSoCrazii Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is a really good thing to try...I can defiantly see it working..I am a bored binge eater so keeping busy during a binge sounds like a winner. Thanks so much cant wait to try..haven't colored in many yeara...seems therapeutic
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump! Curiosity killed the cat! Haha
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Interesting ideas. Thanks for sharing.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Good techniques! I have tried so hard and sometime stall it. I go through periods of times when I dont even think about binging and I lose all this weight and something happens to cause me to lose control and before I know it I've lost control.
    It's very odd with me, if I go months without touching something unhealthy I'm ok but if i have ONE thing that I shouldnt something inside me goes off and I over indulge and binge. I cant just have one, I am better off with none. Am I the only one like this?

You are definitely not the only one like this! I'm exactly the same way - kind of all or nothing. I was great, GREAT, for maybe three months when I got back on the weight loss/healthy eating path this time. No junk, no sugar, nada. I went to NYC on vacation with the family, ate fairly well, tracked all my calories, but the dam had burst. Now, I will have stretches where I'm great for maybe four or five days, and then I'll eat an entire 7" cheesecake sitting in my car outside the grocery store. I also find that after I've been VERY good in difficult situations, like family parties and such, I'm proud of myself at first for staying on program. But a day or so after, I give myself permission to do something binge-y. Like eat a carrot cake. Or a can of frosting. This is binge behavior, right, Emily? Planned, yet out of control. Taking advantage of opportunities when no one is there. Your mind thinks of something like ... mmm, carrot cake. And instead of thinking, bah, I don't eat that, it keeps thinking, I. Want. Carrot. Cake.

Okay, done now. Emily and everyone, THANK YOU for understanding and posting your comments and really good advice. I need this so much right now. I'm struggling a lot with these binge-y episodes.

Oh gosh, this is so me!
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    So I read this right after you posted and I went to the Dollar Store yesterday and grabbed a coloring book, crayons and a big book of puzzles :-) I've also decided to add sewing, playing the Wii, and exercising (when I'm able) to the list. I ABSOLUTELY can't add tv to the list, that tends to cause the binge or drive it or something!

To the poster who suggested moving furniture, I'm totally going to try that. I binge when I'm on the couch, watching tv. We'll see what that does for me!

The only thing for me is that I am SUPER good at delaying a binge. I can delay it for hours sometimes. I've rarely been able to delay it to the point that I don't do it. Does anyone else have this problem??? So I'm hoping that the above list of "distractions" will let me stop!!!
  • kayla7303
    kayla7303 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump (:
    thank you!
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Sounds very helpful, thanks for sharing your tips and your story.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    This helped me so much. I'm already getting my coloring book and crayons out right now. :)
  • Charlayray
    Charlayray Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this. I am going to work on my index cards right now!