Corn used my man-parts as a speedbag.

Options

Replies

• IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    This is the best post i have ever read. hands down!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    My pink weights will guide me to look like muscle man Randy Savage, just wait and see.
    Well since Savage is dead, you're correct.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options

You don't need to eat clean.

And you don't need to listen to this guy.

Don't need to eat clean? At all? Ok, let me just load my body up with pure crap so long it's within my allowance of calories for the day because it doesn't matter if my arteries clog up and I have a heart attack so long as I've lost some weight and gained some muscle, right?
    The reference was to adhering to only "clean eating" as the utmost way to be healthy and lose weight. Eating clean DOESN'T ensure health. It may lower risk of certain diseases, but genetics, stress levels, weight and environment still play a big part.
    You can eat 80% good and 20% "dirty" and be fine.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    But it would also imply that you don't need to take an all-or-nothing approach where you're sweating bullets worrying about whether or not your protein bar is "clean".

This brings something else into the equation...that I only am loosely able to define within my OWN body, much less explain to share with others.

That thing being...mental state.

Stress, confidence, assuredness, confusion or frustration...these things ALL have HUGE impacts on my body. The more relaxed and confident my daily mood regarding my fitness goals, the more my body cooperates and plays nicely. The more aggressive confidence I have regarding my body composition, the more 'I've sooooo got this!' I feel...the more quickly and successfully my body changes for me. I've seen this time and again. Add in stress, whether over diet, life, work...whatever, and allow it to impact your mental state regarding your weight loss/fitness goals, and you'll see a negative reaction. It might be small for one person, or huge for another...but I can't believe that with how seriously this impacts my own goals...that it won't affect everyone to some extent.

*shrug*

Something to think about.

~ETA - Keep in mind, I have no proof of this (other than my own experience, and a few links discussing cortisol etc...but this is much bigger than that for me)...and so rarely bring it up, but I thought it was a nice addendum to Mr. Sidesteal's 'sweating bullets' comment. So here it is.
    You're a basket case so you're screwed.:laugh:

Much love to you bro and Happy Father's day.

IDEA Fitness member
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    But it would also imply that you don't need to take an all-or-nothing approach where you're sweating bullets worrying about whether or not your protein bar is "clean".

This brings something else into the equation...that I only am loosely able to define within my OWN body, much less explain to share with others.

That thing being...mental state.

Stress, confidence, assuredness, confusion or frustration...these things ALL have HUGE impacts on my body. The more relaxed and confident my daily mood regarding my fitness goals, the more my body cooperates and plays nicely. The more aggressive confidence I have regarding my body composition, the more 'I've sooooo got this!' I feel...the more quickly and successfully my body changes for me. I've seen this time and again. Add in stress, whether over diet, life, work...whatever, and allow it to impact your mental state regarding your weight loss/fitness goals, and you'll see a negative reaction. It might be small for one person, or huge for another...but I can't believe that with how seriously this impacts my own goals...that it won't affect everyone to some extent.

*shrug*

Something to think about.

~ETA - Keep in mind, I have no proof of this (other than my own experience, and a few links discussing cortisol etc...but this is much bigger than that for me)...and so rarely bring it up, but I thought it was a nice addendum to Mr. Sidesteal's 'sweating bullets' comment. So here it is.
    You're a basket case so you're screwed.:laugh:

Much love to you bro and Happy Father's day.

IDEA Fitness member

You know man...I've come to the same conclusion lol.

And thanks brother...you too :).
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Great post. Bump.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Lol....It took me 6 days of seeing this on the board before I finally clicked on it b/c of the topic but you got me....Lol...Love the post!!! :)
  • Fergie2154
    Fergie2154 Posts: 59
    Options
    Thank you.
  • bigjax1
    bigjax1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    well said that man
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    love it
  • XxOMG_ITS_PINKxX
    Options
    Fabulous :flowerforyou:
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I think this topic is in need of a bump.

So.

Bump.
  • EmilyLStuart
    EmilyLStuart Posts: 172
    Options
    Agree with 80% - especially 1-7.

Low carbing and/or carb cycling DOES help me; recently I did it and broke a 3 month plateau.

Eating clean IS BETTER than eating overly processed. By default, clean eaters typically consume more fresh/frozen fruits and veggies than folks who don't try to eat clean. Surely we are not going to deny that fruits/veggies are better?

Overall, pretty good post.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Low carbing and/or carb cycling DOES help me; recently I did it and broke a 3 month plateau.

Eating clean IS BETTER than eating overly processed. By default, clean eaters typically consume more fresh/frozen fruits and veggies than folks who don't try to eat clean. Surely we are not going to deny that fruits/veggies are better?

They're not better for weight loss specifically no. Additionally, I would honestly suggest that barring some medical issue on your part, there were other things that contributed to your plateau breaking. Possibly as a side effect to the low carbing.

Also, please define 'eat clean'?? I'm curious if you have another definition than the ten million other unique definitions running around.

:flowerforyou:
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options

They're not better for weight loss specifically no. Additionally, I would honestly suggest that barring some medical issue on your part, there were other things that contributed to your plateau breaking. Possibly as a side effect to the low carbing.

Also, please define 'eat clean'?? I'm curious if you have another definition than the ten million other unique definitions running around.

:flowerforyou:

Eating clean = eating foods that are less processed / especially those that are 100% natural ingredients such as fruit, veg, real meat (aka not chicken nuggets)

So if fruits, vegetables, and lean meats are not better for weight and overall health, please tell me what is?

I have lost 88 pounds reducing my calories/fat and by getting active. I reduced my cals by going to mostly fruits, veggies, and lean meat. So, surely you can understand why I believe this...never mind what all the medical experts say, I have lived it and seen it first hand.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Eating clean = eating foods that are less processed / especially those that are 100% natural ingredients such as fruit, veg, real meat (aka not chicken nuggets)

So if fruits, vegetables, and lean meats are not better for weight and overall health, please tell me what is?

I have lost 88 pounds reducing my calories/fat and by getting active. I reduced my cals by going to mostly fruits, veggies, and lean meat. So, surely you can understand why I believe this...never mind what all the medical experts say, I have lived it and seen it first hand.

Oh they are better for overall health. That is different than weight loss. You answered your own question on what caused your weight loss. "I reduced my cals" Fruit and veggies were what you used to do that but you could have done that eating whatever you were before and just controlling the calories. You were smart to do this and got great results. Bravo! Your health improved from eating fruits and veggies and your weight improved because your reduced calories. So, in your experience, eating fruits and veggies = weight loss. For most, it might or it might not. It would all depend on if they reduced calories to a deficit. Cris is living proof! He lost a bunch of weight reducing calories but eating mostly food from Taco Bell!
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    I certainly agree you can eat ****t and still lose weight, as long as you're eating less ****t than before (or eat same amount of ****t but start working out...that will also help lose weight.). I never said otherwise.

So yeah, you can go by basic math for calories consumed vs burned. But in the long run it's not just the calories that matter for overall good health.

Also...another note on me using low carb to break my plateau...during that period I had increased fat, maintained calories, and actually decreased activity... all counterproductive to weight loss. Yet I still lost over 9 lbs in 14 low carb days (20 days total). I cannot think of a single reason I would have lost weight except that I went from ~150 to ~30 carbs per day. This is another reason that I think it's best to not simply add/subtract cals. Possible - yes. All that matters - no.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you have to understand...it is really cool to diss low carb...and basically diss anything that that they dont agree with...that way they can be all subtly superiror without actually agreeing with ANYTHING....you have a bunch of kiss *kitten* mo fo 's here who act all together, and really are just seeking your approval...beware of the "nice" guy..

.low carb is good..dont be fooled by the guys who work out more than the average person and tell you that you need a bunch of carbs.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I certainly agree you can eat ****t and still lose weight, as long as you're eating less ****t than before (or eat same amount of ****t but start working out...that will also help lose weight.). I never said otherwise.

So yeah, you can go by basic math for calories consumed vs burned. But in the long run it's not just the calories that matter for overall good health.

Also...another note on me using low carb to break my plateau...during that period I had increased fat, maintained calories, and actually decreased activity... all counterproductive to weight loss. Yet I still lost over 9 lbs in 14 low carb days (20 days total). I cannot think of a single reason I would have lost weight except that I went from ~150 to ~30 carbs per day. This is another reason that I think it's best to not simply add/subtract cals. Possible - yes. All that matters - no.

You didn't read what I wrote. I said for weight loss. So did Sidesteal. Unnecessary for weight loss isn't the same as 'unnecessary for overall health'. And even then...your point is debatable. Do I believe that clean (my definition is roughly yours...wonder of wonder...two of us agree!) eating is in general the better choice? Sure I do. Do I believe that consuming processed foods is going to give me cancer, rot my body from the inside out, and make me fat?

I'm sorry, no...I don't.

As for your low carb thing to break your plateau...I did much the same as you did, only in reverse. I went FROM low carb, TO high fat AND carbs, with only moderate protein...stopped working out for three weeks, and lost over 14lbs. Breaking a 6 week 'plateau' in my weight loss. Oddly enough, at the EXACT same time, I went from eating STRICTLY CLEAN (chicken, beef, fresh vegetables, zero processed foods, water only) to eating Taco Bell every single day (long story why).

So...please explain that to me if you would. Exactly the opposite of your experience, yet the results were exactly the same.
    you have to understand...it is really cool to diss low carb...and basically diss anything that that they dont agree with...that way they can be all subtly superiror without actually agreeing with ANYTHING....you have a bunch of kiss *kitten* mo fo 's here who act all together, and really are just seeking your approval...beware of the "nice" guy..

.low carb is good..dont be fooled by the guys who work out more than the average person and tell you that you need a bunch of carbs.

Beware the guy telling you that any macro is bad for you in reasonable volumes is more like it.

And for the record dumb @$$, I don't work out 'more than average'...I work out 3x a week for about an hour per session. I also don't believe carbs are the be-all/end all as you seem to think. I get my protein, and my fats...and whatever makes up the rest of my calories is what it is, be it protein, fats...or your evil, evil carbs.

Last I checked...I'm doing just fine.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I workout 3 times a week and eat over 250g of carbs a day. The fat is melting away. Low carb is one method. Not the be-all and end-all of weightloss.