Beyond frustrated and need answers please

Options

Replies

• kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Have they tested for hypothyroidism? It certainly makes me gain (despite best efforts to the contrary - when not at my correct synthroid dosage) and makes weight loss difficult. Your profile picture does not indicate you're a person with an extra 23 lbs of body weight....

I weighed 146lbs in that picture. I'm currently at 173lbs sadly. That pic was taken in december.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    This site tells you to eat 2200 calories a day? I am kind of near your height and weight, and need 1200?? I am trying to diet rather than maintain, but I can't imagine it would go up that much for maintenance.

If you've selected a goal of losting 2 pounds a week then yes, it would go up that much for maintenance (500 calories/day deficit to lose one pound a week, 1000 calories/day deficit to lose 2 pounds a week).
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    are you taking any medications?

nothing aside from birth control pills
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Based on your info, I would start at 1500 calories as a net baseline.
    Hold this for 2 weeks, then weigh in.
    If no weight loss, then I'd lower it 100, and go another 2 weeks. And so on.
    Sometimes we need to experiment to find our zone.
    Good Luck.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    What did you set your activity level at? How much exercise are you getting?
    I'm about your height and my target is 1200-1300 depending on how fast I set my target loss. I add to that with exercise and eat back most of my exercise calories.
    Are you still measuring or just estimating portions?
  • mollyvon
    mollyvon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should consult with another physician. Was your: thyroid level checked?, C-reactive protein level checked? Have you noticed one particular area being swollen, for example; your abdomen?
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    What did you set your activity level at? How much exercise are you getting?
    I'm about your height and my target is 1200-1300 depending on how fast I set my target loss. I add to that with exercise and eat back most of my exercise calories.
    Are you still measuring or just estimating portions?

I measure when I can. Sometimes it's not possible though.
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    I agree that you should consult with another physician. Was your: thyroid level checked?, C-reactive protein level checked? Have you noticed one particular area being swollen, for example; your abdomen?

Both of those levels were recently checked. And I honestly wouldn't notice my abdomen being swollen with my stomach being as large as it is.
  • sambeau5
    sambeau5 Posts: 3
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, and I couldn't help but notice you don't update every day. Is it possible there are things you are consuming that aren't making it into your diary? I know it seems like a silly question, but if you are putting milk in your coffee, or maybe not measuring the amounts of food you eat (either using weight or measuring cups/spoons), it is absolutely possible that you are consuming more than your goal without even knowing it. Another thing I noticed is a lack of protein--protein is what keeps you full, and keeps you from being tempted to munch on sugary or starchy snacks. When I started taking out the kitchen scale before putting anything in my mouth, I started seeing results.

Good luck :) mfp is a wonderful tool, be truthful to yourself and, barring any unknown health conditions that effect metabolism and hormones, you will see results.
  • Robin_Bin
    Options
    Wow, your tracking is wildly all over the map! Four hours of walking one day, 2 hours other days, nothing for a week, food tracking with nothing some days, 300 calories others, and then the target amounts on other days. Not my business, but what are you not recording? Usually I suggest trying different things, but as you say, you've been trying a variety of things, and your records are wild, I suggest trying something a bit more consistent and recording it for a bit.
    Hard to make a more specific suggestion with that sort of information.
    Good luck!
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, and I couldn't help but notice you don't update every day. Is it possible there are things you are consuming that aren't making it into your diary? I know it seems like a silly question, but if you are putting milk in your coffee, or maybe not measuring the amounts of food you eat (either using weight or measuring cups/spoons), it is absolutely possible that you are consuming more than your goal without even knowing it. Another thing I noticed is a lack of protein--protein is what keeps you full, and keeps you from being tempted to munch on sugary or starchy snacks. When I started taking out the kitchen scale before putting anything in my mouth, I started seeing results.

Good luck :) mfp is a wonderful tool, be truthful to yourself and, barring any unknown health conditions that effect metabolism and hormones, you will see results.

the past few days have been empty because I've been away to a wedding for the weekend, but generally if I eat it, it's there.

I'm also trying to up my protein, slowly. I just wish it were cheaper. :/
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    Wow, your tracking is wildly all over the map! Four hours of walking one day, 2 hours other days, nothing for a week, food tracking with nothing some days, 300 calories others, and then the target amounts on other days. Not my business, but what are you not recording? Usually I suggest trying different things, but as you say, you've been trying a variety of things, and your records are wild, I suggest trying something a bit more consistent and recording it for a bit.
    Hard to make a more specific suggestion with that sort of information.
    Good luck!

The crazy walking is mostly due to walking being my sole form of transportation.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I was probably eating closer to 1300 at that point. I upped it a bit because living at home now, 1300 is too low with the type of food there is to eat here.

I think you need to go back to what was working for you. Also, try and have input in the type of food that is available if possible. You must be under-estimating calories consumed, have a lot of water retention or some medical condition causing weight gain?
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You've said eating more didn't help. I'm curious, what were the calories you were eating and for what length of time?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This site tells you to eat 2200 calories a day? I am kind of near your height and weight, and need 1200?? I am trying to diet rather than maintain, but I can't imagine it would go up that much for maintenance.
    I don't think you quite understand how this works.
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    I was probably eating closer to 1300 at that point. I upped it a bit because living at home now, 1300 is too low with the type of food there is to eat here.

I think you need to go back to what was working for you. Also, try and have input in the type of food that is available if possible. You must be under-estimating calories consumed, have a lot of water retention or some medical condition causing weight gain?

I'm going to try to change my diet in the next few weeks some more. To more of what I was eating before. It's also hard due to cost right now. Aside from that, if I'm too "obsessive" with my diet, I'm afraid that I get comments about having an ED which is hard to deal with.
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've seen my doctor. They've tested my blood levels. Only thing the doc said to me was move more and eat even less.
    See another doctor. If you feel like something is wrong, then find someone who will listen. Please get a second opinion.

THIS
    I have hypothyroidism and it didn't show up on certain blood tests until I did my own research and INSISTED on getting them redone over and over.
  • Robin_Bin
    Options
    Ah... hope the wedding was fun. Still things like that which aren't tracked could be part of the problem. The walking's great, but it's not in your activity level? I'd still suggest checking your activity level and getting back to recording more regularly. After things settle a bit, it might work out. Good luck!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You've said eating more didn't help. I'm curious, what were the calories you were eating and for what length of time?

I don't think she is really sure - I think its an estimation. Need to get a cheap food scale.
    Also, there are cheap protein sources - buy in bulk (OP, you mentioned trying to up protein but expensive).
  • kristenn1989
    Options

When I first started losing weight I usually aimed for 1300-1400. I did that from december 2010- december 2011. I ended up weighing 146lbs and I tried upping my calories to slow down weight loss.

Then, health problems (iron-deficiency anemia) and a few others helped me pack on a few pounds. I've just been given the all better sign recently.