how the heck do i say under my sugar goal??

Options

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and started eating less fruit. Seems to be conflicting opinions on whether or not fruit sugar matters.
  • etrader24
    etrader24 Posts: 21
    Options
    dont worry about the sugar in fruit....it is completely natural, and if you worry about diabetes, natural food that comes from the earth cant give you an illness like that, only processed food can. i suggest that you dont worry about the sugar in fruit, but make sure you dont eat too much processed sugar. good luck (:
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes it seems your diary is NOT open. I agree about the fruit. Actually anything in moderation is best. I knew this guy who helped out in one of the third world countries...he came home after just a few months and looked Great and had lost weight. I asked him about it and he said he'd been eating bananas because "Fruit Loops" cost like $12.00 a box and bananas are really cheap there.

I don't think Weight watchers have you count fruits....idk...they keep changing things!
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm the same but I agree with other posts - just ignore it. I do like veggies, but I much prefer fruit but the sugar is a killer. I just focus on the calories in the fruit and ignore the sugar. The way I see it is that fruit is healthy but it's much better to be getting that sugar from fruit than from a chocolate bar.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I ignore my sugar. I am over everyday just from fruit. I stay away from white sugar so I don't worry about it so much.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I usually do not exceed 15 g. of sugar per day. You are taking a huge hit from Greek yogurt, and all of your fruit. I am an extreme example, but I avoid all fruit, milk, yogurt that isn't artificially sweetened, and any single food item with 5 or more grams of sugar. I have found that it has helped me drop fat faster, but I'm sure 100 people will tell you 100 different things!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My personal choice is to stay very low in sugar; it just depends on what you want. I try to stick to berries when I do have fruits.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Yeah MFP's limit on sugar is near impossible to stay under. I upped my sugar limit a little and when there are "no sugar count" options for the fruit I log those.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a condition like diabetes to make you need to really pay attention to sugar, I would change your food diary to track another nutrient so you won't worry about it. If your sugars are coming from mostly natural sources, like fruit, then you're getting it with fiber, which will negate some of the sugar.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Part of the issue is that the sugar number in MFP is retardedly low to start with. As others have said, there is a difference between natural sugar and added sugar. The American Heart Association just released new guidelines that state that women should take in no more than 20 grams of "added" sugar daily and men should not exceed 36 grams of "added' sugar. They aren't that concerned with sugars that are naturally occurring. MFP doesn't distinguish between the two and neither do most food labels.

In general, if you avoid the "chocolate covered sugar bombs" type of food, you'll probably be ok in the big picture. I upped my daily sugar level from 30 grams to 70 grams and I feel comfortable with that when I look at my diary.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The sugar limit is for added sugar, not naturally occurring sugars in produce.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but sugar is sugar....
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree with this, and if you don't see the results you want you have to be aware of this and choose for example berries instead.
    If you see the results you want, then don't worry and eat fruit because it's good for you. But it's still sugar!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Agree with Meggles. Sugar is sugar.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options

This has been said 10 million times on MFP, and will be said 100 more...people just don't get it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Try to ignore the fruit "contribution" to the sugar bucket... easier said than done, but MFP doesn't distinguish between banana sugar and bonbon sugar...
    Interestingly enough, the human body doesn't differentiate between them either.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I go WAY over mine everyday.. Usually because I replace a meal with a fruit smoothie. It isn't that big of a deal if all of the sugar is coming from good places.
  • 76wendyful
    76wendyful Posts: 202
    Options
    I hid it from my diary settings so that I wouldn't see the red number! I too eat fruit that always puts me over.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    First, ensure you're hitting calorie, protein, fat target. Let the sugar fall where it may.
  • MrsApprehensive
    MrsApprehensive Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This! Great advice.