Sometimes, the Army SUCKS!

Options
debussyschild
debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
Just need to let off some steam for a second...

So, recently, my husband got orders to PCS to Yuma, AZ (we currently live in the FL panhandle), which is AWESOME! However, it couldn't have come at a more inopportune time. I'm a music teacher and my job at a charter school in the area is part-time and I absolutely hate my administration. Before we got orders, I've been looking for a full-time position and in my county alone, 5 elementary music positions have opened up, all FULL TIME!!!!! This is a very rare occurrence! However, since we have no idea what our report date is yet (thank you, S1, for taking your sweet *kitten* time cutting his orders), I can't in good faith apply to any of those year long full-time positions.

My rant spurs from this: today, one of the elementary schools where the current (and retiring) music teacher recommended me to the principal for the job, CALLED ME AND ASKED TO INTERVIEW!! I had to say no. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: I can't in good faith sign a year long contract knowing full well that I more than likely will have to resign halfway through the year. That's simply unprofessional. And it's KILLING ME that I can't do that :cry: I love my husband and I love the Army, but not knowing a report date so I can make sound career decisions is really pissing me off!!!!!!!!:explode: :explode: :explode:

End rant. Thank you.

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."

Run away! :laugh:
  • mpankratz79
    mpankratz79 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am so so sorry. I totally feel your pain. Usually as an RN I can find a job no problem...but living here at Fort Irwin, CA I haven't even got a call back. And we gave up Germany with the thoughts that I would be able to find work easier. I hate that they take their sweet time with cutting order or changing them at the last minute. I hope it all works out for ya.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I live in a navy town and that is just one of the many many MANY reasons why I would never be with someone who is in the service. Sorry chick but you knew what you were signing up for when you decided to be with him.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    and then wouldn't it be ironic if the orders were cancelled? For me, until we were about a month away from the report date, I lived life as if it weren't happening. If it's a year contract you could stay behind and finish your contract up. I did that with a 6 month.

But yeah the military sucks sometimes :( makes it hard to have a career as a milspouse
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That really does suck! However, I applaud your ethics and professionalism because there are alot of people out there who probably would have omitted that part and just gone for the interview anyway with the attitude "oh well, they can just replace me when I have to go...". I would have done the same thing as you and declined the interview, as I just couldn't live myself knowing the white lie I would have told (or omitted to tell).

YOu have to think that things happen for a reason and that sme good karma will come your way! GOOD LUCK! :happy:
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    You did a mature, responsible, and professional thing, and you did right by all the kids it would have effected. The Army might suck sometimes, but you do not :) Best wishes to you & your husband!
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    All I can say is thank you to your husband (and you) for his service to this great country. Hope it works out for you two.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Could you take a job and then meet your hubby when the year is over?
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oh how I feel your pain... Currently sitting in a province away from our home, he's in training, so I decided to go back to school (mostly to be with him, and kill the time of his year long training - cause you know, POSTING someone to where they'll be for A YEAR is just a ludicrous idea!)... and in the meantime, watching all these potential jobs disappear in front of my eyes... as we'll be posted FOR REALZ some time after September... So I wait. And wait. and Wait.

We've been waiting for this posting since 2010. So... yes... I feel your pain.
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Great Rant.

I would suggest, interviewing for the job, but letting the principal know the situation with your hubby orders. She maybebe able to work something out for you. That is still professional. It would help the principal. She can continure to look, but has you to fill the gap while she looks. Just a suggestion. You never know, you maybe end up back in FL, and she will remember the Music teacher who helped her out in a bind.
  • lizaiza79
    lizaiza79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Fellow Army wife here, and we just got done dealing with similar issue with my husband's training at Ft. Rucker ...so hard to life live when you rarely get a definite date on things with any advance notice!

They might be ok with you signing if you tell them that you will be moving in a few months. I am a music teacher as well - sometimes they get desperate!
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I can understand your frustration. But I do have to commend you for not commiting and then jumping when hubby gets his orders. I am sure the person who called you is feeling Blessed that you are an honest open upfront person. May God richly Bless you for this! Blessings!! <><
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I live in a navy town and that is just one of the many many MANY reasons why I would never be with someone who is in the service. Sorry chick but you knew what you were signing up for when you decided to be with him.

Nice sensitivity. :huh:
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hurry up and wait: Story of the Military
  • herwitsend
    herwitsend Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hurry up and wait: Story of the Military
    I was going to post the EXACT same thing. Hope you get some answers soon.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have been there. Ordered to Munich and shipped to Missouri. That's why I got out.

If it was me, I would just go get the job where you are. He could be in MO tomorrow, and GA the next week.

And thanks for the sacrifice that your whole family makes.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The phrase that always makes my skin crawl:

"Needs of the Navy, sweetheart."

:ohwell:

Good luck with your deployment.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    If it's a year contract you could stay behind and finish your contract up.

This is what I was thinking if it's an option for you personally. I hope it works out for you.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    When you see Yuma, AZ, you won't be thinking it's that awesome of a move.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I grew up with an Air Force dad and we always hated when the dreaded order envelop showed up. My mom sacrificed so much in her career to support my father's career and this nation.

Thank you for the sacrifice. And I know it sucks =)