For those following a custom plan - based on TDEE

Options
2»

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    How else would you keep track of progress? I couldn't tell you, for example, what my bench press weight was 2 months ago off the top of my head. But if I look in my notebook, then I could. Without the log, it would be hard to plan workouts and gauge progress.

I am not looking to track progress as far as if am I lifting more than what I was 2 months ago. Lifting heavier and heavier weight is not a goal of mine, more interested in the toning aspect. However, when I do P90X, I do have a log for what my weights were for each exercise.
  • Cmadridk
    Cmadridk Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's beneficial to calculate TDEE using activity level sedentary with no exercise, and then eating at that number + eating back exercise cals. Logically this sounds like a good plan. Can anyone dispute?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's beneficial to calculate TDEE using activity level sedentary with no exercise, and then eating at that number + eating back exercise cals. Logically this sounds like a good plan. Can anyone dispute?

I wouldn't do that as you would be wiping out most of your deficit by eating back your exercise calories.

What would work is finding out what your BMR is, multiplying by 1.2 (to determine TDEE for a sedentary person) and eating that fixed amount per day. Your calorie deficit is therefore created through the additional exercise and activity you do during the day.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE seems low unless you are small. I don't trust any TDEE calculations because they are still just an assumption. Your actual TDEE will vary from day to day. I set mine to BMR. I let my FitBit update activity calories and I try to eat back half but even if I go over a little, I'm still netting around BMR. I would love to have some accuracy on my TDEE but I haven't figured out a way to do that yet.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I would love to have some accuracy on my TDEE but I haven't figured out a way to do that yet.

It's a pointless exercise in the main. Calorie needs are variable from day to day so the best you can ever hope for is rough approximation and work from there. I think someone needs to come up with a TWEE equation ;)

People get obsessed by the numbers but really miss the wood for the trees. Set a sensible guideline. Assess over time. Tweak as necessary. Add patience and consistency.

Job's a good 'un.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    How else would you keep track of progress? I couldn't tell you, for example, what my bench press weight was 2 months ago off the top of my head. But if I look in my notebook, then I could. Without the log, it would be hard to plan workouts and gauge progress.

I am not looking to track progress as far as if am I lifting more than what I was 2 months ago. Lifting heavier and heavier weight is not a goal of mine, more interested in the toning aspect. However, when I do P90X, I do have a log for what my weights were for each exercise.

If you don't increase weight, then you aren't really doing anything to the muscle. You have to challenge the muscle if you want it to change.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I have a body bugg that tells me what I burn in a day. I follow enough of a pattern at this point, and have enough data, that I have a good idea of about how much I'm likely to burn depending on what kind of day it is.

For kicks I still log my food and exercises here just for comparison's sake. It's more book keeping, but I don't really mind.

As far as what that means for me, MFP calculates my TDEE a bit lower than it is, but it kind of balances out because it over estimates the exercises.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    hmmm ok, maybe I need to not even bother with TDEE and stick with BMR. there is only about 171 calorie diferance. I log my cardio and leave the calories the way they are. I dont eat my calories back, If I am understanding TDEE and BMR correctly, Only one is needed?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavier and heavier weight is not a goal of mine, more interested in the toning aspect.

Not sure what "toning" means in this context. Staying the same?
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I add my workouts so I know what I did, but don't put emphasis on the calories burned. I stick to a overall calorie goal. You may consider doing what other posters have suggested and entering the workout with 1 calorie burned.
  • josiereside
    Options
    Lifting heavier and heavier weight is not a goal of mine, more interested in the toning aspect.

Not sure what "toning" means in this context. Staying the same?

No, not saying the same, leaning out I guess maybe a better way to put it. I know I am pretty much at my limit with the weights I lift depending on my activity that I am doing. I do more workout DVDs with weights as opposed to going to a gym doing chest presses, machines, etc....
  • josiereside
    Options

If you don't increase weight, then you aren't really doing anything to the muscle. You have to challenge the muscle if you want it to change.

I change my workout routines every couple weeks so my workouts are always challenging. I do vary the weights also depending on the exercise. Sometimes I can do more, sometimes less. I do have a good bit of muscle definition so I know I am doing something right, even in not tracking actual weight amounts.
  • josiereside
    Options
    hmmm ok, maybe I need to not even bother with TDEE and stick with BMR. there is only about 171 calorie diferance. I log my cardio and leave the calories the way they are. I dont eat my calories back, If I am understanding TDEE and BMR correctly, Only one is needed?

Not sure if you are understanding BMR and TDEE, and I am not expert for sure as I just learned about it but my numbers are quite a few hundred calories apart. I know BMR is what you body burns calories wise just sedentary but the TDEE factors in activity level.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Not sure if you are understanding BMR and TDEE, and I am not expert for sure as I just learned about it but my numbers are quite a few hundred calories apart. I know BMR is what you body burns calories wise just sedentary but the TDEE factors in activity level.

BMR is what your body burns per day just for your major organs to function. If you were to lay in bed for 24 hours and not move your body still needs calories for everything to continue functioning. The number of calories it would need in this state is your BMR.

TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. From the minute we step out of bed in the morning and. Start moving you are burning OVER your BMR at this point. Your TDEE is your BMR plus your overall activity for the day.

Wen figuring these numbers out (if that is the way you choose to do this) you have to be sure to pick the proper activity level for yourself. If you sit at a desk all day but then work out after work you are not considered sedentary.

I eat at my TDEE minus 15% and I do log my exercise for logging sake and my fitbit updates. I just pay attention to total food instead of net.