Think it's too expensive to eat healthy?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    McDonald's is cheaper than that where I live.

It's more expensive up front to buy healthier foods at the grocery store, but those supplies will go a LONG way if you don't let it go bad! So in the long run, if you're smart and resourceful, it is much, much cheaper to buy healthy foods -- even in bulk!

I've been having a field day at my local grocery store. For the past couple of months they've been having incredible sales on their produce AND were giving me $3 off every $10 of produce (1 per day). I've been paying $10-$15 for 1-2 weeks' worth of fruits and veggies.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh

2 Big Macs = 3
    1 Cheeseburger = 1
    1 6pc nugget = 2.50
    2 medium fries = 3
    2 small fries = 2
    2 medium cokes = 2
    2 small cokes = 2

Total cost: $15.50

What, did they leave a $12.39 tip for the guy in the drive through?

Which McDonalds are you buying at? BicMacs are $4.59 each here.../.

Big Macs are $0.99 where we used to live (Tennessee). It was a promotional price, but the promo was always active.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I'd rather pay money to build my health than to waste it on McDonalds. I'll gladly give up something to afford eating healthy.
  • Amama622
    Amama622 Posts: 4
    Options
    In the long run, it is MORE EXPENSIVE TO EAT LIKE CRAP. Spend less money on junk now, spend more money on healthcare later after you develop diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. Common sense, people.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Carbs are a lot cheaper to produce than meats and vegetables. That said, you can find good food cheap and you can also find bad food cheap. I think it's a little silly to try and create these obfuscating examples of one food stuff versus another.

One thing is pretty universal though, you can save some money by drinking tap water instead of bottled water, soda, juice, etc...

One last thing. For our nation as a whole it is obviously much much more expensive for people to eat garbage food because it gets reflected in health care costs.
  • amystyran
    amystyran Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Healthy meals in England are so expensive! When I used to shop normally, buying unhealthy food for 2 people for 1 week was about £50-60, but now we're dieting, its costing £70+ a week. Vegetables and healthy alternatives are ridiculously expensive and are hardly ever on offer, whereas fatty stuff is - but I suppose that's just what the supermarkets want you to do...eat fatty foods and buy more and more as you get bigger and bigger because it's so cheap!
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone living right on the teetering edge of poverty, you can still eat healthy food.

You just have to spend the time to do your research, shop for sales, and drive around to bunches of stores getting the best deals. Buying in bulk helps us stay off food stamps, too.

That said--some stuff is just out of our price range. No seafood (sad! I love fish!), no organic stuff, no fancy fruits or veggies. I know raspberries are some of the best foods for you--but they're damn expensive! Apples and oranges will have to do. No chicken breasts--thighs are cheaper. Brown rice is still a good deal. No deli meats. Buy a ham, carve it, freeze it, thaw as needed. Same for turkey.

It's a lot of work, and I still sigh at the bags of beautiful, organic, pre-cut romaine and butter lettuce as I get my head of iceberg (much cheaper!), But we still eat pretty well.

We let ourselves each choose one "luxury" item every two weeks. This week it was bulk seaweed from Costco for me. Mmmm.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Great post!
    People snivel about the cost of whole foods, but most of the drivel is just an excuse to continue to eat lousy, processed foods.
    KEEP PUNCHING!
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't think its more expensive to eat healthy. I know changing the way I shop has saved me money, not cost me money, and I've actually started shopping at a store that is a bit more expensive than a traditional grocery store so I can get hormone, steroid and nitrate free meat.
    Letting go of Soda, sweet tea, flavored water, and all sorts of processed food has been saving us in the grocery line. Shopping at the farmers market, or the local "fruit stand" type store has saved us money on fruits and veggies.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    In the long run, it is MORE EXPENSIVE TO EAT LIKE CRAP. Spend less money on junk now, spend more money on healthcare later after you develop diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. Common sense, people.

It doesn't matter what the future costs are if you don't have the $ currently to pay for something better. You can tell someone all day long that eating poorly will cost them medically down the road, but that doesn't give them a raise, give them more money to buy better groceries, or cut down the price of gas. If you live paycheck to paycheck you have to worry about how you're going to buy groceries NEXT WEEK not how you're going to pay medical bills in 10 years.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You've gotta shop around to eat healthy 'on the cheap' My local Save-Easy puts all of it's meats and produce on for 1/2 price after 2 days in store ....wallet saver!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Some healthy things are cheaper than processed foods (fresh fruits and vegetables mostly) and then there are very expensive healthy foods that will quickly drain your wallet if you go through it fast enough (agave nectar, high quality beef/fish, organic food, flax seed, fresh spices, and pretty much every protein supplement, etc..) It's really a matter of choosing the things that are cost effective and skipping the things that are super expensive.

For example, we love making soups and stews out of fresh produce, chicken breasts, and white beans... very inexpensive, filling, and nutritionally packed. I'm trying to get my husband to cut down on his protein powder intake, the flax seed he puts in every shake, and some of the things he uses a lot like kalamata olives and whole nuts, which are all really expensive. Some of the ingredients we use can be eliminated without negatively affecting the meal, it's just a pain trying to convince my husband of that... he wants every nutritional "advantage" thrown into every meal.

When it comes down to it, you just have to find the right healthy stuff that doesn't drain your wallet. Stay away from the expensive ingredients and fill your basket with fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, and other good stuff. =)
  • evansrabbitranch
    Options
    Hmm, I can take my family to McDonalds and get 8 doubles for around $9, no fries, 1 value drink at like $1. The most I have ever spent eating at a fast food place is $16 for my family of 5. I am in MO. Mind we RARELY buy meals. But for that same amount I can make 3 meals at home so....yeah it can be cheaper to eat at home. But if you are on the road and your choice is a $1-2 burger or a $4-7 salad....I'd take the burger. Its not about being lazy for us, its about enjoying time out as a family for as little as possible. Since our cooler was stolen we have to buy out because I can not afford $40 for a new cooler that is smaller than the one that was stolen.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Assuming that if they didn't eat that they would be eating McDonalds and paying more. For my family our meals need to be about $2-5 per meal to keep in our budget. Often fresh foods don't fall well within that budget. We try but... $9-$13 for a meal is EXPENSIVE!!! Even if you can keep breakfast and lunch cheaper than eating out (say a very healthy meal for $4 and lunch for $5) that's still $630 a month on food..... what can you eat healthy for about $2 for breakfast, $2/3 for lunch, and $5 for dinner? That's about $240-300 a month on groceries and more affordable (though still on the stretch end of the budget!). Unfortunately it means a lot more Spaghetti Os and a lot less chicken breast.

No way are Spaghetti-O's ever going to be a better value than making your own spaghetti. Spaghetti with a tomato based sauce is very healthy.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Depending on the area I can see the prices being that high. While I haven't gone to a McDonalds in a while, last time I went to Wendy's here in the Seattle area, for 2 meals (burger, fries, drink), kids meal (chicken tenders and milk) and 1 extra burger it cost $24

Eating healthy may cost more up front but the supplies will last longer and the cost is spread out over time. I just pre-ordered 1/2 of a grass fed cow with a local farm here. I'll pay about $1200 up front, but will get a couple 100 lbs of meat, and all cuts end up costing about $4/lb total...even for steaks, prime rib, etc.
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    has anyone seen the price of chicken breast and fish lately. its ridiculous.but I do agree that eating out is way more expensive fast food or not. i would love to eat more fish .. I just dont know how to cook it all that great. Mc donalds looks so gross in that picture !