kinda freaking out.

Options
so ive been losing weight at a great pace for the past 3ish weeks. ive been eating 5-6 small meals/snacks a day. im in week 3 of c25k. JUST yesterday i started 30 day shred (which i will be doing everyday), did nothing different with my eating at all and today im 2lbs heavier... whats going on? ahhhhh :sad:

Replies

• dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are retaining water from the weight lifting. It's normal and will come back off.
  • romanticizing
    romanticizing Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

SLAP
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options
    Your muscles are retaining water from the weight lifting. It's normal and will come back off.

^^ Winner!
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, so take my comment with a small grain of salt. However, it sounds like you're doing all kinds of great things for yourself; eating better and working out. A lot. It sounds like your body is now really starting to react to all the hardcore workouts your doing and you're starting to gain muscle. That bad part is, muscle weighs more than fat, so it means you gain weight according to the scale. The good part is, that muscle is making you leaner and "meaner." The scale will balance itself back out as your body gets used to the heavy duty exercise, and then the numbers will go back to going in the preferred direction. Wayyyy down. In the mean time, focus on the non-scale victory here. You're doing an amazing job eating right and working out like an amazon. With the weight loss you've had so far, I'm sure you're starting to notice visible changes to your body; which are just as important as the number... sometimes more important.

The moral is, don't be so hard on yourself. You may not have a loss every single week. But the idea is that you stay consistent and your body, and weightloss will follow suit. Take a deep breath and keep on keeping on.

You're a super star!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

^^ Winner!
    DING DING DING :drinker:

Oh, and if fluctuations are going to make you 'freak out'.....don't weigh yourself every day...especially if you're incorporating weight training into your routine.
  • konalove3
    konalove3 Posts: 79
    Options
    i knew it had something to do with that (water retention) but didnt know that would happen after one day! thanks!!
  • secondchance82
    Options
    Throw your scale away. Just get weighed at the doctors. Relax while you're at it...exercise is a good stress reliever.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Brilliant!! I'm going to do 30 day shred today so I can build 2 lbs of muscle by tomorrow!:sad: :bigsmile:
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

SLAP

LOL!!! My husband told me this yesterday and I was like "Lets sit down, I'm ready to debate this until the cows fly home!"
  • sevy88
    sevy88 Posts: 3
    Options
    You will gain a littel more weight because like what has been posted earlier... muscle weighs more. As you put on more muscle, more fat will be consumed, and you will start to see the numbers go down again... eventually your body will find a happy medium
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    2 pound fluctuation is normal, probably just water and salt. Weigh yourself once a week, no more to avoid these kind of freak outs.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Unless you suddenly ate 7000 extra calories in two days it is water from the lifting. I started ripped in 30 and am up 5 lbs in 3 days but since I have not eaten close to 20000 excess calories I am fairly certain it is water retention from the harder work out. Keep at it you will be fine.
  • dreamgym
    dreamgym Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you're gaining muscles
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options

SLAP

LOL!!! My husband told me this yesterday and I was like "Lets sit down, I'm ready to debate this until the cows fly home!"

I'm thinking of putting a dime in a jar every time I hear it. I figure I'll be able to buy Hawaii by 2013.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    SMH.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

SLAP

I'm thinking of putting a dime in a jar every time I hear it. I figure I'll be able to buy Hawaii by 2013.
    maybe by the end of this thread even...its been posted 3 times already by people :laugh:
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    water retention from starting a new exercise.
  • readyforthejourney
    Options
    How are you all calculating exercise for 30 day shred..someone suggest that I put circuit training/aerobics which is what I did yesterday...any other suggestions?