Working Out: Morning, Afternoon Or Nightime?

Options
2»

Replies

• glamsam8
    glamsam8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Morning and Evening! xD If I do it in the morning, I feel energized, and when I do it at night, it helps me sleep better
  • Italian_mom
    Italian_mom Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy old cat that wakes me up every morning at 615 to feed her, so since I'm up, I just workout out and get it over with, so morning for me.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I think it would make you feel better to start the day with a workout. Force yourself to get up early, drink coffee later, just start out doing what you can do in the morning and let your body get used to waking up early. Once you start waking up earlier, you'll realize how great it feels. I wake up early everyday to do some kind of exercise, whether it is walking my dogs, going for a jog, or doing some Zumba, I do it. Now I only require about 5-6 hours of sleep and I feel completely energized, anything more than that and I get lethargic. I used not be a morning person at all but I started having to be AT my job BY 6:00a. m-f with rotating weekends, that was when I did my workouts in the evening, but I found that after a whole day of working (constant walking, bending, and lifting) I started sacrificing my workouts for a little rest. So I think starting out the day with a good exercise and a meal makes for a great day. Plus, you start the day super positive with the endorphins in our system, I think losing some sleep is worth it. Get into a routine and it will be so much easier.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym 5-6 days a week ...... on Mon-Fri, I'll go after work ..... on weekends I'll go early, because the gym closes early. My only problem working out late is that I am SO hungry when I get home .... yet bedtime's not that far off .... which explains why my weight loss is slower :drinker:

Happy losing !
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Morning...get it over with
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evening after work! Sometimes I DON'T have the energy but if I worked out in the morning I would die. No. Really...

Getting up is already a challenge, getting up and then working out? That's hell for me. I did it for a year and it did nothing but make me tired and miserable. So now I work out in the evening and it fills me with energy and makes me happy. :)
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym 5-6 days a week ...... on Mon-Fri, I'll go after work ..... on weekends I'll go early, because the gym closes early. My only problem working out late is that I am SO hungry when I get home .... yet bedtime's not that far off .... which explains why my weight loss is slower :drinker:

Happy losing !

How does it explain why your weight loss is slower? Time you eat has no relevance to how much you burn off or otherwise
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can find the time. Usually that's in the evenings after work, on a weekday. If I'm going in on a weekend, could be midday or afternoon-evening again.

A few years back, I had bought some home exercise equipment, and somehow got into the routine of waking up early and getting in an hour or so of workout before showering and going to work, but have never managed to reproduce that early-morning motiviation since then. I'd rather sleep as late as I can get away with.
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I workout early in the morning before work.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I like to workout first thing in the morning because that's when you burn the most fat, and everyone in my house is asleep, so i have no interruptions, and have the tv all to myself (i like to watch it when i'm on the treadmill) My Tae Kwon Do classes are at night, but that's how the schedule is at my school. WIsh they had early morning AM classes......
  • dmzazueta
    dmzazueta Posts: 36
    Options
    I usually work out in the morning, after I drop my son off at school. Otherwise, I get to the gym when ever I can. Lunch, evening or after dinner. Before I made it a priority, I would use any excuse not to. But now, getting fit is my priority and I do what I can to work around everything else.

Good luck!
    Danielle
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    On weekdays, I always hit the gym at night, 8pm or after. It just works best for me. Weekends, it's whenever the heck I can get there, if at all!
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Not a morning person here. I go on short walks throughout the day at work weather permitting and hit the gym after work.

^^ what she said....and to elaborate further....I try to walk/run 3 miles at least three times a week. If I get one mile in during the day - during lunchtime, it kinda forces me to get the other 2 before bed (can't waste that mile ;-). This has been working well for me. Late afternoon/evening workouts do not negatively affect my sleep at all - actually, they make me sleep more soundly.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    On weekdays, early in the morning, before work, so my cognitive brain is still out of it and doesn't try to talk me out of engaging in something that hurts so much.

On weekends, also more likely to be mornings, before the day really gets going. If I don't get it in before noon, there is an exponentially escalating probability of failure.
  • Napjeeper
    Napjeeper Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks for all the great feedback! I may try to do a 30 day challenge of getting up early to workout. I do the 30 minute Kettlebell workouts and I'm thinking that's easier to squeeze in. It means giving up my morning news, but frankly I could do with less depressing news sitting on the couch and more with positive energy of getting up and getting moving. I'll see about starting this next week and report back how it goes in a month!
  • Kandi150
    Kandi150 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I am NOT a morning person and further more when I would wake up and workout I am exhausted afterward and want to take a nap. Is that normal? So working out at night is great because when I'm done and showered I sleep like a baby. I always here about how exercising in the A.M. gives people energy. I'm jealous!!! lol
  • Quackledorf
    Options
    Any workout is better than no workout so keep finding time. Mornings are usually best because you can give your metabolism a jump start & get it done & over with. But like I said, any workout at anytime is better than no work out. :)
  • saraya12
    saraya12 Posts: 13
    Options
    Early in the morning is definitely best for me. It's not fun getting out of bed so early, but I don't fancy working out during my lunch break. And after work I'm completely tired and ready for bed. So it's either first thing in the morning or likely not at all for me!
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm a night owl so I prefer evenings, but if I work from home. I can do an AM session. I hate getting up at 5AM now that I don't have to do so.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer to work out in the morning, but due to the hourlong commute to work, I do it when I get home, around 6.