Skinny Fat? Eff.

Options
13»

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    What you are describing at the end of your post isn't "skinny fat".

Skinny fat is being within a healthy/normal weight range for your height but having LESS lean body mass.

My favorite picture to illustrate this (taken from http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/)

runway-model.jpg

Crystal-682x1024.jpg

Both girls have 12-15% body fat. The girl in the second pic is 35-40 lbs heavier than the model.

So that means the model is she weighed 100 lbs, she would have approximately 75 lbs of lean body mass.

The second picture: if the athlete weighed 135, she would have 115 of lean body mass.

(taken from same website) "The image below shows a female figure that has a large amount of fat, while having a very small amount of muscle. This is described in the fitness community as “skinny fat”. While not overly “bulky” she doesn’t have the aesthetics that most of us work so hard to attain. The woman in this image is likely at a level close to 30% body fat and likely has a similar amount of muscle as the runway model. So even though she may look fine wearing a sweater, it is a different story at the beach."

Skinny-Fat1.jpg

So how many lbs of lean mass would be considered skinny fat? Just curious because I had been wondering about that about myself, as I think my lean mass is a bit low.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

So how many lbs of lean mass would be considered skinny fat? Just curious because I had been wondering about that about myself, as I think my lean mass is a bit low.

There's no set number. I'm a big lady and probably have 125lbs or more of lean mass. Someone who is 5' probably won't have that much. I think you look great, but there's nothing wrong with trying to gain lean mass. Its fun. Try it this winter.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

There's no set number. I'm a big lady and probably have 125lbs or more of lean mass. Someone who is 5' probably won't have that much. I think you look great, but there's nothing wrong with trying to gain lean mass. Its fun. Try it this winter.

Rae6503, that's my plan. Bulking after bikini season.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I always wonder how many marathon runners people who make this kind of daft comment actually know....

At least ten in my everyday life. Sorry if you think it's "daft" but people who have been running marathons frequently for a long time tend to get a particular body type that I wouldn't personally want.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    As someone with an eating disorder, all I can say is that the term "skinny fat" has triggered me more than any other term I've come across.
  • ennddiiaassaassnnaacce
    Options
    Apparently being healthy, active, and fit is not enough. Someone will apparently always find a way to claim that we must all be fat if they can calculate the numbers or examine every inch of us (instead of seeing us as a whole person), until we sufficiently view our outward appearance as the most important and competitive element in life. And then to counteract it, people post things like this, putting down yet another body type (slender and muscular). I'm happy to be able to do what I need to do with my body: contemporary dance, self-defense, hiking, playing with my children, and always trying new things (weights are a good component, but for me they are a support and not the be all and end all). I'm also going to protect my joints from further injury, so I can continue to dance (for me the important thing is to enjoy what my body can do). Having a body and being fit does not have to be as complicated as everyone is making it out to be. Us humans have managed for a long time. We all have very different body types and interests. "Skinny Fat" sounds like a way people use to put people down, so they can feel like they are superior in some way. Because how can they measure that from the other side of a computer. And it's especially destructive that anorexics are being called fat now. Joining this site has sure thrown me for a loop, but I have had time to adjust and let all this nonsense slide off me. I've always had muscular abs and a fit curvy behind. I love my body and I think you all have beautiful bodies too. Variety is the spice of life. Everybody goes through tough times in life. Let's support each other in our learning and fitness, not put people down in an attempt to feel superior.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Woa I am muscular and I have small boobs. So thank you for thinking I am disgusting. It make me feel all warm and fuzzy insurance de.

Maybe so, Yanicka, but you've got the awesome waist and butt of a woman who rocks the squats and deadlifts! :drinker:

Thank you. I do love my deadlifts and squats
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    As someone with an eating disorder, all I can say is that the term "skinny fat" has triggered me more than any other term I've come across.

And frankly I don't think you're alone. (Take care and good luck xx)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I've posted this comparison before, but I think it's a good illustration of what muscles can do for your physique.

145vs158.jpg

I :heart: you. :flowerforyou:
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    "A physique, while not overweight (and possibly underweight), lacks any visible lean, striated tissue."

1-They have a high % of body fat
    2- Hardly any fat, but hardly any muscle too

What is considered more attractive? Being "in shape" (basically NO BOOBS and extremely muscular) or being "skinny fat" (Decent-Large boobs and a pretty flat tummy?)

I love my boobs. I love my butt. I like feeling like I look like a girl. I see pictures of really ripped girls and I don't always find it attractive. I like toned looking girls. Nice arms. Flat belly (no really a six pack.) Back dimples. No love handles. How are girls that have those qualities "skinny fat"? Girls with no boobs that are totally ripped look like teenage boys to me.

What is YOUR opinion?!

People find lots of different thinks attractive - there can be no right answer on this - it's all subjective. If the fashion industry is anything to go by, skinny skinny is the place to be! On here, there is a tendancy to prefer more muscularity. I agree with you that maintaining some body fat is more aesthetically pleasing than very low body fat.

One thing men do find attractive is self- confidence - and if you're happy with your shape, which you seem to be, you will have that. Being happy with yourself and accepting your limitations is much better shape to be in than constantly striving for the unattainable.
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Back dimples are actually genetic, and don't have anything to do with body fat percentage.

Really? Maybe this will make up for my lack of thigh gap atm, lol.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It's disheartening to read that someone who was ridiculed for THEIR body, would turn around and do the same about another body type.

Skinny fat is not to be confused with curvy. In my opinion, it's someone who is considered "skinny," but lacks muscles/definition. If their weight/body fat were higher...they would be considered "fat."

But, at the end of the day, none of that matters--it's a label, a classification. We all have different tastes and opinions, so don't worry about what other people think of your body--it's erroneous and superfluous.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Well I had small boobs when I was skinny-fat and I have smaller boobs now that I am in better shape. Of course I would love to have my old b's instead of current a's, but it was a tradeoff for getting rid of my stomach and feeling strong and fit! Good for you for being blessed with big boobs, but I don't think smaller-breasted women look like "teenage boys" and that is very rude!! It's weird that you want to make a post just to knock on other women's bodies!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    er I don't think boobs are a great indicator of being skinny fat although they consists 80% fat which is one of the reason why us women has naturally more body fat than men. my mom who weighs 45 kilos (100 pounds), has a small boobs & is 34A but she is definitely skinny fat judging by her pudgy belly plus she wears one size bigger than me & I'm 20 pounds heavier than her & also an inch taller.

I read somewhere about the low tech ways to determine if you're skinny-fat. Aside from being of normal weight or underweight, these are all I can remember

1. flabby/jiggly arms(especially triceps) - abnormal jiggling of the arms not expected to a thin person
    2. pudgy belly
    3. muffin top
    4. cellulite
    5. no muscle tone
    6. your body fat percentage falls above 18% for men & 25% for women