Slap me please!

Options

Replies

• Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of giving customer feedback. You should email the store and let them know! You don't need to yell at people or anything, but standing up for yourself is a good thing.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the sales person should have let you try one on and let you figure out on your own whether or not it would have worked.

But, like the others have said, you're on the right track. You're here now, trying to get healthy and lose weight. Maybe you can buy the swimsuit and keep it for a goal of yours! Never give up, dear. :flowerforyou:

ETA: And, I don't think the sales person was really trying to be rude either. Just from the description that you gave, it seemed like she was trying to be helpful, but maybe not in the most tactful manner.
  • SwissRiviera
    Options
    Beautiful comes from within. You are what you believe. Your boyfriend likely wouldn't be with you unless he cared. Give him some credit for having good taste. Look inside your soul, rediscover that flame that says, I AM! Keep trying, success only comes with patience. Cheers to you for the 10 pounds. That is a big deal! Don't forget, this is not a television show it's real life. You might be interested in checking out TOP's Taking Off Pounds Sensibly. The most important thing is to love yourself where you are today and that amazing body that has brought you to this date.
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    That woman was out of line!!!!!!
    You are a beautiful person and I hope for your sake you lose the weight you want so that you can be a better you.
    I know sometimes I'm not motivated to work out, so it really helps finding something you enjoy doing that does not feel like a "workout"
    I like belly dancing (there are great instructional tapes out there) or playing the dance games on wii.
    I hope you reach a point where you are inspired to get healthy.
    I'm on everyday so if you want feel free to fr me :)
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Well, now that we've taken care of the b-i-t-c-h a-s-s sales clerk, can I offer a few suggestions?
    1. Make a list of "healthy food" you love. Keep a running list on the fridge. I wish I had done that, cuz I have to go searching all the time for what worked 100+ days ago.
    2. Try to keep your diet pre-planned. It's so much easier, leaves less room for eff ups. Pack a cooler, bottom lined with water bottles. Even pre-log what your gonna eat for the day. This may help.
    3. Drink water, water, water. It's filling, flushes toxins, and really does wonders for skin toning. You will notice your complexion getting better, and when all the fat is gone, less saggy skin if any at all.
    4. Take it easy. The pounds are coming off. Weigh self same time, dressed same every week. No peeking in between.
    5. Friend those with longevity and large weight loss. Friend trainers. Friend me if you want. I'm not perfect, but now back from vacation, I am getting back on the fast train. Read diaries. Get ideas.
    6. Stay away from eating out for a while. Work out prior to picnics, and enjoy yourself.
    7. Follow MFP like the BIBLE, but stay away from negative forums, in fact, try to stay away from those that offer any more than the basic information that you need to succeed.
    8. You are your own Cheerleader. No one can do this for you. Only you can do this for yourself. ITS EASY ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF IT.
    Good luck kiddo. Oh and Don't hate the haters, they just don't get it.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    What a ****ty saleswoman.

-poor technique

-RUDE!!@!!!!!

-UNhelpful

Please don't shop there again and please don't go into a downward spiral because of one stupid woman. 10 lbs in one month is GREAT. You are doing just fine and don't let that ***** de-rail you. Wipe the slate clean and start over tomorrow. You CAN do this. You CAN.:flowerforyou:
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is write to the store and get the assistant fired. She should not be working in a clothing store period.

The second thing you need to do is stop judging yourself by the criteria of other people. Many people just love to tear others down. The more that you're down on yourself, the harder it is to get in shape.

You look and sound like a terrific girl and you actually have it easier than many people. It's a lot easier to lose weight than develop a nice personality and/or grow a brain.

Be as nice and caring to yourself as you are to others and you'll be just fine.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I could tell you hundreds of cliches in response to your post but I will rely on only one. Rome wasn't built in a day. You need to remember that each day that comes is another step towards your goal. In time you will learn to eat more healthy foods and what exercises work best for you. Find a cardio exercise that you really enjoy doing whether it's running, cycling, jump rope. Jumping rope burns about 10 calories a minute. Doing exercises you enjoy helps keep you going. There are a lot of exercises you can do without equipment and little time.

We live in the same town so please friend me. I will gladly offer tips and advice if you ask. In return you can sign a softball for me when you go pro! Best of luck and don't worry about the sales cluck (not a typo) at the swim shop!
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    Sorry to say, but this is my issue: WHY DOES TORRID HAVE SWIMSUITS FOR PLUS SIZE WOMEN THAT PLUS SIZE WOMEN CANT FIT INTO.....just saying, thats a little horrible to do to people.

Because the fashion industry has treated plus size women like the proverbial redheaded step child for years. Despite the fact that over half of the female population is size 14 or larger the industry is focused on smaller sizes. As if larger women need to crawl under a rock and die!! I have shopped at large size stores and im 5'2". It is virtually impossible to find something that fits me correctly and is also attractive. The shirts are too long, the pants are too big in the leg and the dresses are tents that drag the floor. I have yet to see a bathing suit that was flattering. Hey lets have the fat ladies wear polka dots or better yet how about some paisley print across your butt. Throw some tummy reducing panels inside so she can feel like she is being strangled to death and then when she goes up two or three sizes the *kitten* of the suit can hang down to the back of her knees. Put a big bow on it and a skirt that looks like a two year old would wear it so she can feel like a complete moron... just shoot me please!!

This is why im on MFP.... i refuse for my only clothing options to be something my grandmother would have worn and probably looked better in... :noway: :cry: :tongue:
  • laulyn
    laulyn Posts: 70
    Options
    I am so sorry. I have been there, hell, I am there. I used to be proud of my athletic ability and strength. Now I feel like a fraction of myself and look like I ate the girl I used to be! I have battled my own demons, things that have crept in to my head, that resounding negative voice, the fear that even if I get it all off AGAIN, I am scared out of my mind I will just gain it back. I have hid in my house not wanting to go out and let people see me, especially not my family and friends; because at least strangers don't know how far I have fallen. Honey, it is a terrible feeling. It is a terrifying . So here is what I have done.... I have recognized, (since I am a social worker) I NEED the people around me who love me. I NEED accountability. I NEED support. I feel like my problem is bigger than what I can handle on my own. I know i must commit to a lifetime of health. So, just like any recovering addict (ugh, I hate using that to describe myself), I need an action plan. Just like an alcoholic needs a plan. An alcoholic may meditate and call their sponsor to stay on their road to recovery. I have created my own action plan. I wrote my action plan in a journal. It is my go to when the *kitten* hits the fan or I have a case of the"I don't wanna's" or the "What is the point anyway?". My personal action plan is #1-When I begin to struggle I will check out before and after stories, I find them inspiring. Before and afters light some sort of intrinsic motivation for me. #2- I will be accountable to people I love and feel safe with. My best friend and my long term boyfriend are on duty. If they see me beginning to slip, they can come to me in a loving manner to speak to me about it in a kind considerate manner. We even have a "safe word". When they come to me with the "safe word", I know it means they are concerned and they know I want to be fit for life and they are committed to helping me, by holding me accountable. #3- If i can not manage the motivation to eat healthy or work out, I will log on to MFP and do exactly what you just did. I will get on a forum and i will ask for help from a community of people I feel have walked 4,000 miles in my shoes and know my struggles. I know if I am slipping I will log on. No matter how sh*tty I feel, I can pick up the computer.

I know some of that sounds cheesy, but it is my lifeline. I truly hope it is helpful. The road is long and it can be a difficult journey, but stay the course. You can do this. You are a beautiful girl with a bright future, I can see it in your eyes. Being destined for greatness is a big responsibility and not for the faint of heart. You have got this, move through the fear.

Courage is feeling the fear, and doing it anyway.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say, but this is my issue: WHY DOES TORRID HAVE SWIMSUITS FOR PLUS SIZE WOMEN THAT PLUS SIZE WOMEN CANT FIT INTO.....just saying, thats a little horrible to do to people.

Because the fashion industry has treated plus size women like the proverbial redheaded step child for years. Despite the fact that over half of the female population is size 14 or larger the industry is focused on smaller sizes. As if larger women need to crawl under a rock and die!! I have shopped at large size stores and im 5'2". It is virtually impossible to find something that fits me correctly and is also attractive. The shirts are too long, the pants are too big in the leg and the dresses are tents that drag the floor. I have yet to see a bathing suit that was flattering. Hey lets have the fat ladies wear polka dots or better yet how about some paisley print across your butt. Throw some tummy reducing panels inside so she can feel like she is being strangled to death and then when she goes up two or three sizes the *kitten* of the suit can hang down to the back of her knees. Put a big bow on it and a skirt that looks like a two year old would wear it so she can feel like a complete moron... just shoot me please!!

This is why im on MFP.... i refuse for my only clothing options to be something my grandmother would have worn and probably looked better in... :noway: :cry: :tongue:

Before I gained weight, I had a really hard time finding clothes that fit me in the regular stores and the plus sized stores. Most plus sized stores I went to started their jean sizes at 18-20, and the regular stores ended theirs at 12-14. I was about a 14-16. It sucked.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options

:P you have such vivid and colorful writing skills, so funny...you made me smile :P ^-^
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I commented earlier, then went to your page. You are a beautiful girl! Your goals and reasoning are intact and real. Please don't let one day ruin a new and healthy lifestyle!!!
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Again, thank all you guys! It is hard to feel confident while I am sitting here with a soy milk stain on my shirt, petting my cat and wearing that sad little "forever alone" face. lol.

I am normally not such a downer, but the saleswoman really upset me. My self worth is probably the hardest thing for me to recognize right now, and I know other people can see that.

As a post note, I can say that she was absolutely trying to be helpful, but with an arrogance that made me want to pull out her hair.

I have been having "one of those days" , then turning it into "one of those weeks." even though I know that I am doing well. I "know" but I "don't know". I guess my logical side says I am losing weight the healthy way, and my eyes are telling me that I look pretty freakin bad, I might as well throw in the towel and start becoming a professional buffet eater.

I ended up buying a swimsuit that was way awesomer anyway, so she can suck it.

Anyway, you guys are awesome, beyond awesome in fact. Whether I should have thrown my purse at her, told her supervisor, or just wrote an email describing what happened, I know that I at least had this to come to, where I can feel supported by everyone, and I can imagine how awesome it would have been to make a gigantic scene and be paid off by Torrid to avoid a lawsuit where I list all my emotional damages. Lol!
  • angjindra
    angjindra Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This made me so sad to read!! :( That girl is a rude *kitten*, mean B@&%*!!!!!!! I looked at your profile ad pictures and you are a super pretty girl! Makes me sad that people can be so rude! You are doing amazing though and if you stick with it and stay true to yourself you will reach your goals! I know it gets us down when we stray off course a bit (Im guilty as ever) But with a few motivating friends you can get through it! :) Keep up the good work, and next time you go in there when you have lost more weight, pull a pretty woman on her *kitten* lol!
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options

:P you have such vivid and colorful writing skills, so funny...you made me smile :P ^-^

And you just made me smile because i'm a struggling writer... I've got the 450 page manuscript that will soon be a door stop to prove it! Lol.. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    That is insanity that anyone ever says that in a store. I'd at minimum write a complaint via email or letter.

That said, you have a VERY nice solid start, and while it may feel like you gained 3 pounds, 3 "permanent" pounds aren't that quick on. So they will come off quick, too. But I can honestly say that it took me a few months to find my "groove" and get some serious weight loss going. Once I got myself figured out, I rocked it.... but it was hard finding a balance, finding a way to not go over in calories, and finding happiness with my diet and who I was. Now I'm so close that I don't even care if I don't quite make it to the number on the scale I'm looking for.... and that is awesome. You can do it, too.... and while it seems to take FOR.EV.ER., you'll look back and think "Wow, I lost that weight so quick!"

Just recently I hit a healthy BMI. One pound less than I was at a doctor visit in 2003, where I was pretty sure their scale was broken because I was certain I weighed more than that. 2003! I spent years putting it on, but it came off so much more quickly than it went on in reality.

Stick to it, hun. You've got some good friends to support you... and punch people when necessary. ;-)
  • livelongmama
    livelongmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options

You actually made me laugh out loud. Hilarious! :laugh:
  • sharichops
    Options
    Hey,
    I read your post and have to reply to the dreaded story you've told...swimsuit shopping with the boyfriend can only be positive if he truly loves and supports you, if you have that then GREAT! Secondly, we are our own worst critics, so lighten up. Often times I have heard that phrase over and over again and it rings true for many scenarios. So...learn to love you, don't look back at what you though you were when you were thinner, younger, more successful, less tired and look into the now! Today is a gift and if for anything else, realize you are HERE NOW. Do what you must to make yourself happy and just take one step at a time and it will come.

Also, one last thing. A good friend of mine told me that others whom put us down are only reflecting what they think of themselves...so smile and know that even though you were hurt by her comment, she must be way more miserable in this life then you.

Great job for losing the ten pounds in a month!! :) Yay for you! I have been half-assed trying for years to lose the proverbial ten pounds and now needing to lose 20!!! So take heart, step by step, little by little, YOU have got this. Just have faith.

Good luck and cheers to YOU!

Shari
  • slimtrimgoody
    slimtrimgoody Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    First of all stop. Just stop. Take three deep breaths. Mikki you have to take control and you can do this. Step-by-step. Day-by-day. I would suggest making small goals at first. For example -- I want to lose 5 lbs by and list a reasonable date (5 weeks out at 1 lb per week). I want to exercise at least 20 minutes a day 3x's a week, etc. I want you to envision the beautiful woman inside of you, the one that your boyfriend already sees and loves. It's okay to cry. Crying is the natural way to cleanse ourselves. Take another deep breath. Your schedule sounds hectic and demanding; do whatever you can to drop anything on your schedule that you can. If you cannot, then I suggest taking 10 minute or 5 minute breaks throughout the day. Stretch, take deep breaths, and if at all possible, take a therapeutic yoga class. Also take long hot bubble baths at night, with soft jazz music playing in the background and lit scented candles. Pamper yourself. Your body is your temple. Respect it. Love it --- Just as it is. Be thankful that you have two eyes to see nature, two sturdy legs to leg you walk, two arms to swing when you dance, etc. Also, you might want to see a psychologist because you might be an emotional eater. I went to see a therapist because I used to binge and it was very helpful for me. One of the books my therapist recommended was The Food & Feelings Workbook (A Full Course Meal on Emotional Health) by Karen R. Koenig, LCSW, M.Ed. You can purchase it on amazon and I found it to be very helpful. Mikki you must try to relax and remain positive. As for the ignorant salesclerk, forget about her, she is simply rude and has no real customer service skills. Do know that you could always place a complaint on the BBB website about your experience at the store and I assure you that the store would extend not only an apology, but probably a gift card to you as well. No one can ever make you feel bad -- only you can do that. Don't give someone else the power to make you feel bad about yourself. Only you can give your power away. Now, pick up the pieces because tomorrow is a new day, a new beginning, and another opportunity for you to be successful in reaching your goals. Good-luck!