Do you work nights?!?

Options

Replies

• XmanMike
    XmanMike Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    There is a lyric in a song I think by Ray Charles that goes "night time is the right time". I'm sure he wasn't talking about work. I work midnight to 8am 3 days a week and then midnight to noon on the weekend. It's just terrible. I usually cook up some chicken, chop it up and add some spice and I'm pretty much set. I'll also snack on some salty nuts, too. Wait, that didn't come out right. Lol! Planters peanuts! Every now and then when I'm feeling lazy, I'll just get a twelve inch turkey sub from Subway.
  • itsmindovermatter
    Options
    Hi there!

I work nights also and have struggled for a long time to figure out a consistent schedule for eating.... My sleeping varies by the day and I tend to skip meals because either I'm too tired or I have just gotten up and will be eating dinner with my husband in a couple hours so it turns into a one-meal day.. I must say though that since I started keeping track with this program it has kind of forced me to eat when I probably would have skipped. Plus I have found that it stops me from grabbing an unhealthy snack "just to get something into my stomach" (the thought of entering it into the diary stops me from eating it)
    I'm hoping to gain a few tips and tricks by following the comments of others on this program:smile:
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I dont work nights, but I do work late (we work late), we own a business, open at noon, close at 10pm on weekdays and midnight on weekends, we come home, eat dinner, in bed by 3 or 4 am, ( thats normal for us, we dont wake up until 10:30am) sometimes we get to take 2 days off in a week though. I know how you feel, especially trying to keep up with a new lifestyle change. It seems like we come home, cook dinner, prepare food for the next day, try to get in a bike ride at 1am in our subdivision (kinda nice actually), watch little TV while cooling down, then hit the sack. Add me if you like! ~Bre
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Hey guys,

I've been using MFP since late Aprilish and everyone has been quite amazing and supportive!! I work two 12 hour night shifts 9pm-9am and one 15 hour night shift 9pm-12pm....and that's if I'm not doing overtime!! This lifestyle can we wicked hard!! I'm looking for friends who are in the same ballpark as me, so that we can help support each other and give each other advice about what to eat and such. Of course if you don't work nights, I love making new friends regardless. Just seeing if people are dealing with the same things that I have to deal/struggle with. :)

Search for the official nightshift thread. There's a whole bunch of us!!!
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    Sugar and caffeine !
    Add me 8)
  • boomrain
    boomrain Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sugar and caffeine !
    Add me 8)

Haha those are two of the things I avoid. I know it's strange but...I don't consume any caffeine. Except for my one piece of dark chocolate.
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I work nights... Some nights are better than others...
  • boomrain
    Options
    Hi there!

I work nights also and have struggled for a long time to figure out a consistent schedule for eating.... My sleeping varies by the day and I tend to skip meals because either I'm too tired or I have just gotten up and will be eating dinner with my husband in a couple hours so it turns into a one-meal day.. I must say though that since I started keeping track with this program it has kind of forced me to eat when I probably would have skipped. Plus I have found that it stops me from grabbing an unhealthy snack "just to get something into my stomach" (the thought of entering it into the diary stops me from eating it)
    I'm hoping to gain a few tips and tricks by following the comments of others on this program:smile:

MFP definitely holds you accountable for sure!! I definitely think about what I'm putting in my body knowing I'm totally going to be judged haha. I hear you! When I first started working nights I was skipping meals and then stuffing my face all night!! Bad news!! This app has definitely helped me!! I'll add you!
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I work midnight to 8am 5 days a week......feel free to add me
  • Jeckersaw
    Jeckersaw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work Thursday-Monday 4 PM-Midnight, but don't usually get to bed until 3 or 4 AM (unwinding). I'm usually hungry when I get off work. If I go to the gym after work I sometimes get to bed when the sun is coming up. Challenging to have a social life, and when I feel lonely is when I tend to eat more, and especially junky food.

Anyone else have these issues working odd hours?
  • BHRussell
    BHRussell Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I work strange hours and generally go to bed anywhere from 3 am- 6am and I wake in the afternoon. I would love a friend with maybe the similar hours. I love my MFP's but I have noticed they are all on a different schedule than me. Love to be your friend, add me if you like.:happy:
  • boomrain
    Options
    I work Thursday-Monday 4 PM-Midnight, but don't usually get to bed until 3 or 4 AM (unwinding). I'm usually hungry when I get off work. If I go to the gym after work I sometimes get to bed when the sun is coming up. Challenging to have a social life, and when I feel lonely is when I tend to eat more, and especially junky food.

Anyone else have these issues working odd hours?

Oh yeah, that's tough!! When I worked weekends, I did nothing but sleep and work...and then eat like crap. Then while all my friends worked Monday-Friday, I was stuck hanging out by myself. It's hard and definitely lonely, so I feel you. I had to keep myself busy by getting out if the house, going to the gym or to the park. It's a rough lifestyle for sure!
  • BHRussell
    BHRussell Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Always up late would you like to be friends?
  • tomedic
    tomedic Posts: 1
    Options
    i'm a shift worker as well and found any program hard to stick to. I did the p90x for 6wks but was getting up at 3am to do the workouts before working a 12hr day not counting my hour commute time. that was 3yrs ago and have since bought insanity and 10 minute trainer without opening them up yet. great intentions but no motivation. i feel like i can't start it if i know i can't finish it. i need some inspiration and a workout buddy!
  • kaylovluvz
    kaylovluvz Posts: 32
    Options
    My hire on shift is 130p-930p but I work a little of all. I do work nights quite often. But mainly as a split shift or a double! I have found that nights can be rather difficult especially when it comes to exercise!
  • belle94509
    belle94509 Posts: 21
    Options
    I used to work nights (11pm - 7am) for about 3 years. I loved it except working weekends :frown:

It was difficult getting my eating routine down because I would get confused about when to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I have changed my diary settings....actually several times cuz I TOO was getting really confused. But I found a way that is really helpful to me. It might help you too. I just started reading this thread so I will continue reading and see what other tips and suggestions I can find helpful. I start my new "day" at midnight. (I work at 7pm to 730am at one job and 1130 p to 8am at another with an hour commute each way to this job) So my set up is 12a-8am and then 8-11,11-2,2-5, 5-8, 8-12 and starts again. I track everthing I eat so this way its TRACKED. Who cares EXACTLY when it was eaten as long as it is tracked is my thought. Anyways hope this helps.

Yeah, I'm not specific with the times in my diary. Ive kept the normal 12-12 and I just make sure i log everything I eat. I cant change my settings because my routine is different for every night that I work. Is your diary open?

I just changed the setting.
  • belle94509
    belle94509 Posts: 21
    Options
    There is a lyric in a song I think by Ray Charles that goes "night time is the right time". I'm sure he wasn't talking about work. I work midnight to 8am 3 days a week and then midnight to noon on the weekend. It's just terrible. I usually cook up some chicken, chop it up and add some spice and I'm pretty much set. I'll also snack on some salty nuts, too. Wait, that didn't come out right. Lol! Planters peanuts! Every now and then when I'm feeling lazy, I'll just get a twelve inch turkey sub from Subway.

HA HA HA!!!!
  • lescooper123
    Options
    yes ... night shift is hard to keep on track. I can go days with very lilttle sleep and then days where i just want to sleep all day. Hard for me to get a schedule because i work some daylights and nights in the same wk. Some days not sure what day it is!! lol. Hard to get your exercise in too.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I used to work nights and I would wake up to eat dinner with my honey, had lunch about 2am and then breakfast before I went to bed about 8:30. Also i would snack in between. It was hard and I gained like 30lbs
  • bkbakersgirl
    Options
    I love working nights. But they are hard for me food-wise. Although being at work is better than the alternative... I'm afraid that if I were home at night, I'd eat the whole fridge!! When I'm at work, I can only eat what I brought! I'm glad most of the restaurants around my place close early so that I can't swing by before work. :) My willpower leaves a bit to be desired at this point, although the more weight I lose and feel my body changing, the less I want foods that are going to slow the progress.
    I am not good at getting up in the afternoon to exercise (or clean house or anything else for that matter), but I'm pretty good to go in the mornings after work. I usually get a little exercise in then. And when I get a few minutes alone at work, I keep weights in my work area and I do some strength training in between calls (fortunately it's not usually busy).