CrossFit Diet

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
I made an appointment to check out my local CrossFit place, and while I was on the phone, they asked me about my diet. I told them that I eat pretty well and I've been tracking my eating for a couple years now. They mentioned that that's great, and that I should check out their nutrition information on their site. So, I did. I noticed that they push Paleo Diet pretty hard.

My question is, is this a CrossFit thing? Or maybe it's just the one in my area? I'm just curious, because I hate BS like that. It turns me off in a big way. If they push one diet as THE DIET and everything else is subpar, I'll always think of them as close-minded jerks, and not really people that look at the big picture of fitness.

I don't mean to start a whole giant thing about CrossFit, I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences that?

Thanks.

Replies

• F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I think once anyone knows something they feel like they know it all... or at least they feel comfortable saying this or that works... but when you know what you are doing, all it is is to take the info and evaluate if there is any sense or change that would be good to try...
  • neverstray
    Options
    I think once anyone knows something they feel like they know it all... or at least they feel comfortable saying this or that works... but when you know what you are doing, all it is is to take the info and evaluate if there is any sense or change that would be good to try...

I have no idea what you are talking about.

My question is, is this a CrossFit thing or not?
  • Pip_squeak
    Pip_squeak Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Preface: Not a professional and not a dietician.

My understanding is that it is perceived that the Paleo diet gives you the "cleanest" fuel for your body. As a paying customer you eat whatever you want to eat.

Personally, I do what works for me and it just happens to be Paleo.
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen and heard, Crossfit does seem to push the paleo diet, but it's not exclusively Crossfitters who follow it, if that makes sense...
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I have no idea what you are talking about.

My question is, is this a CrossFit thing or not?

CrossFit thing. Every CF site I've looked at mentions it.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've tried different diets over the years and this one where I track what I eat and control my calories seems to work best for me!!!!
  • victoriousnrltm
    Options
    I'm gonna say it is a personal thing. My crossfit people don't do paleo..... allthough some are talking about trying it.
  • StephanieOjedaEspinoza
    Options
    I have a couple of friends that do crossfit. They reside in different cities, but both say that their Crossfit gyms insist on the Paleo diet. I am generally against any gym that is really pushy. However, if you join, you are paying lots of money for them to tell you how to diet and exercise. I would follow their diet for a trial period. Crossfit gyms are often on groupon and similar sites so that may be a good way to try them out and see if they are a good fit for you. I tried the New York Body plan (which has a two-week kick start type of plan) and was dead set against following the restricctive diet guidelines. When I tried the diet their way, I had completely different, and much better, results. I plan on trying Crossfit, for a limited time, in the future, and I'll let you know how it goes when I do.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Thanks folks. I might give it a try. I'm not against it, I just dont like it being pushed down my throat. That's a huge turn off.

I can see that because you are paying so much, they want to make sure you get results, and that's how you do it.

Here's a couple days of one of the trainers diet:

Tuesday, May 3, 2011
    Breakfast
    ■Not hungry

Lunch at 1:15pm
    ■Spaghetti with Kelp Noodles, ½ cup kelp noodle, 1 cup meat sauce

Snack at 6:00 pm
    ■ Handful dry roasted/salted plantain chips from Whole Foods

Dinner at 8:00pm
    ■6oz Fillet Mignon Roast from TJ’s
    ■Coconut-Almond Fruit Smoothie – ½ can coconut milk, 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, 1 cup frozen fruit (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries), 1 cup spinach – Makes 2 servings

Monday, May 2, 2011

Coffee at 8:00am
    ■Starbucks: Cheat: Grande Latte w/ 1tsp honey

Lunch at 1:15pm
    ■BJ’s Grill in Torrance – ¼ Rotisserie Chicken with side salad. Olive oil for the dressing.

Post Workout Snack at 6:00pm
    ■2 Paleo Brownies

Dinner at 8:45pm
    ■About 4-5 oz of Ground Beef sauteed with Onions, Tomatoes and Spinach w/ guacamole
    ■Handful dry roasted/salted plantain chips from Whole Foods

This looks lame, as in NOT ENOUGH TO EAT.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Paleo and crossfit do tend to go hand in hand. The paleo diet is really great for getting a strong, lean body. Healthy carbs give you energy and fat and protein keep you full. Your trainer's diary looks lame. I'm not perfect paleo, but feel free to check out my diary. I eat dairy, almost always full fat. I eat a lot more than your trainer I think!!
  • Pip_squeak
    Pip_squeak Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When eating Paleo you'll be surprised how far a little bit of food will carry you.....when you're eating "properly".
  • neverstray
    Options
    When eating Paleo you'll be surprised how far a little bit of food will carry you.....when you're eating "properly".

Maybe that's it. I looked at the amount and thought it was so small, but maybe it's filling.

I've been researching the paleo diet. I think I am beginning to form a rejection to it, in a strict sense. In a lighter sense, it's really just saying, eat natural heathful foods. It's easy if you don't try to actually be a caveman.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    Most of the best Crossfitters are beasts, you aint gonna get beasty with that pathetic diet you quoted as a trainer eating!

You will get skinny though =]
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Can't be elite unless you follow Paleo or the Zone diet
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Crossfit was born out a Paleo community
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Can't be elite unless you follow Paleo or the Zone diet

I think you must have meant 1337. I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and figure that you are joshin' us, cause that statement is just too funny. :)
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

You could replace Paleo with "self control", there is little wrong with Paleo but the reality is that there is little difference in terms of what you put in you eating Paleo or just relatively "clean". When it comes down to it, Paleo still leans more towards fad diet...or just most people who are fanatics about paleo annoy me.

Now Paleo obsessed Crossfitters? Christ on toast.

To the OP, is it possible I could turn you away from Crossfit? From kipping pullups and horribly rounded back deadlifts? Don't misunderstand me here, most crossfitters are in damn good shape. They just seem to have this blatant disregard for safety, form, or common f*cking sense.

While there is an exception to any rule...I'm basically talking about this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnnOWfj2TW4

Just find an Olympic lifting gym if this sort of thing appeals to you.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    CrossFit endorses/recommends Paleo/Zone eating. But you don't have to follow it if you don't want to. I'd say just eat as clean as you can, to satisfaction, with emphasis on veggies, fruits, nuts, and lean protein. Every box is different, but I don't think I've ever heard of one being super Nazi-ish about the Paleo thing. If this place is, try a different one.

side note: I started crossfit about a month ago and it's not an exaggeration to say it's changed my life. I am a runner, lifter, and spinning instructor. I train hard. I have always had knee pain and it's something I struggle w/ in my workouts. Since joining crossfit, and doing all the foam rolling they have you do, and the flexibility and strength exercises, my knee pain is nearly entirely gone. I feel stronger and healthier, and I can already see changes in my body. And I have NOT been good about food since the WODs make me so hungry! LOL. Just think how much better I'd look if I was doing Paleo, eh? ;)
  • neverstray
    Options

You could replace Paleo with "self control", there is little wrong with Paleo but the reality is that there is little difference in terms of what you put in you eating Paleo or just relatively "clean". When it comes down to it, Paleo still leans more towards fad diet...or just most people who are fanatics about paleo annoy me.

Now Paleo obsessed Crossfitters? Christ on toast.

To the OP, is it possible I could turn you away from Crossfit? From kipping pullups and horribly rounded back deadlifts? Don't misunderstand me here, most crossfitters are in damn good shape. They just seem to have this blatant disregard for safety, form, or common f*cking sense.

While there is an exception to any rule...I'm basically talking about this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnnOWfj2TW4

Just find an Olympic lifting gym if this sort of thing appeals to you.

Ouch, my back hurts just watching that.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    I wanna see someone rock up eating a mcdonalds, then polish off a snickers. Come first in the WOD and then walk out never to return again.