want to help someone you know???

Options
2»

Replies

• Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean...I too have a friend that keeps getting larger and larger and blames it on everything and everyone....BUT..it is up to her.
    I will say that the only thing you can do and I am doing it myself is lead by example. If she sees you dropping the weight then maybe she will start asking questions. Or ask her to be your partner on a walk ( say at night) you are going to do since it is best to walk with someone? Make it as she would be helping you....not you helping or trying to help her.
    Good Luck, sometimes they don't want help.....and until she does there is nothing really you can do to help her.

Mary
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    I think that YOUR success will motivate her in the right direction when she's ready. A close co-worker and I were talking about this site more than a year ago. (I was a member but not really using it). He was losing weight and getting healthy and talking about the benefits of tracking all of his food. While I agreed with him, I didn't take any action and actually gained. At the end of his more than 50 pound weight loss, he mentioned that he would still use the site to maintain, and talked about his fitness goals (running a marathon - improving his times etc.) Suddenly something clicked for me and I began in earnest. 45 pounds later, I can promise you that this person was a huge motivator for me (and continues to be) but I wasn't ready right away.

Support her when she starts, and in the meantime just keep being her friend, getting healthy and leading by your own action!

Good luck - it sounds to me like you really care about your friend.
  • pinksmurf1
    Options
    can i just say, its because people were saying 'ooh are u pregnant again' and 'you have put on weight recently' and the point blank 'chroist ur fat!' thats what made me want to lose weight. Im not saying AT ALL that you should say these things to her - but like other people have said, suggest to her about this site. Bring up in conversation that u really think u can start to notioce that you have lost weight, then say that u r glad u r tracking it on this site so that u can physically see the weight drop..... u know things like this, subtle but planting the seed that will make her think that she might wanna give it a go. You say she is not happy with herself but keeps eating alot and not doing any excersice etc? maybe she is eating so much cos she thinks 'whats the point, im big anyway so i might as well carry on eating like this' the whole comfort thing.... I dont know ur situation with her but it sounds like u both eat together quite a lot, maybe if u make an effort not to order too much food or to only eat half a plate ONLY when u r both together, it has a phsycological impact on the people eating around u and makes them suddenly aware of what they are eating too. I had to do this with a friend of mine, it took 3 months but she lost quite a bit of weight through it! (and i did it cos tbh i was fed up with her constantly *****ing and moaning at me that she was 'fat' but not doing anything about it, then bringing me down with her cos she would be in the most horrible moods - it was either this way or we would lose our friendship)
    I hope some of what i have said helps, or gives u some ideas of how to approach things. at the end of the day u will be doing her health and heart a favour in the long run :) good luck x
  • lmbw126
    lmbw126 Posts: 24
    Options
    I think that is great that you want to help someone in this journey. Sometimes people need that extra push or they need someone to say to them what they already know gently and help motivate them. So I don't think you are wrong for wanting to help your friend, I actually think that it is commendable. Honestly, if someone would have gave me a reality check I may not be struggling trying to lose over 100lbs. It's not what you say but it's HOW you say it. Lead by example and if she begins to ask you questions than offer your knowledge/suggestions. Like we all know, she has to WANT/DESIRE this for herself. But IMO your a great friend to even care enough to ask this question! good luck to your and your friend.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I think if she actually is a friend then you should be able to have that chat with her. It might not be easy but as long as you aren't a **** about it then she should hopefully see you are trying to help.

However - if she is happy as she is and doesn't express in interest already in losing fat, then why bother to mention it?
  • Xx_mandown_scotty_xX
    Options
    again thank you to all the people, that gave me their opinions, and i will take them all on board...but i think im going to let her make the first move, which is the most popular answer, however i just wanted to ask anyway, as i feel, if someone had said to me, i needed to lose a little weight, then i wouldn't have had so much to lose, that's all :)
  • jlboyla
    jlboyla Posts: 8
    Options
    Keep your mouth shut. Do you think she doesn't know she's fat?

Ditto.

Both of you-
    You dont need to be rude. He is obviously a caring friend that is worth having around. If you were overweight which you probably are if your're here, (dont take offense-you are here, its not a jab) then would you want to be around the type of people that would sit back and watch as you shove years of your life down your throat, or someone who woyuld pull you beside yourself and point out there is another type of healthier lifestyle. ManDown- Tell her emphathetic, dont come out and directly say she is overweight. Just volunteer for her to come excercise with you, or walk with you -whatever it si that she may be comfortable doing. Then tell her you care and you want her to be even healthier. Tell her about portion sizes and when how often to eat. In the end though, you can not make her lose weight. It is just like anythihng else in my opinion, a person must be ready to overcome obstacles like smoking, weight loss, etc in order to really succeed.
  • placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Keep your mouth shut. Do you think she doesn't know she's fat?

Ditto.

Both of you-
    You dont need to be rude. He is obviously a caring friend that is worth having around. If you were overweight which you probably are if your're here, (dont take offense-you are here, its not a jab) then would you want to be around the type of people that would sit back and watch as you shove years of your life down your throat, or someone who woyuld pull you beside yourself and point out there is another type of healthier lifestyle. ManDown- Tell her emphathetic, dont come out and directly say she is overweight. Just volunteer for her to come excercise with you, or walk with you -whatever it si that she may be comfortable doing. Then tell her you care and you want her to be even healthier. Tell her about portion sizes and when how often to eat. In the end though, you can not make her lose weight. It is just like anythihng else in my opinion, a person must be ready to overcome obstacles like smoking, weight loss, etc in order to really succeed.

Well said :)