Call me convinced: I'm going low carb

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Did anybody else get headaches from going low carb?
    Mainly the people that didn't read the bit about increasing salt intake I suspect.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Rather than going low carb I go "low glycemic index". Fruit have low glycemic index, so they are fine.
    while some fruit have a low GI that is not the case for all fruit, and in most cases it is purely because the carbs are fructose that doesn't show up in blood glucose measurements.

cherries at 63 and bananas at 52 don't strike me as low GI, nor 72 for water melon

True, water melon and maybe bananas have a higher GI. There a tons of fruits out there with lower GI But for example eating white bread makes me crave for more sugar. That does not happen with a banana.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I am also low carbing. There are SOME things that I MUST have in order to function...like coffee creamer (tho I DO cut it with skim milk) on occasion. I am not a huge fan of bread anyhoo, so that doesn't bother me. SWEETS are my pitfall!
  • wanniet
    wanniet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i'm somewhat on the bandwagon, and by somewhat I mean that I am in favor of low-ish carbohydrates, but almost no simple carbs. the problem with the term "low carb" for me is that many vegetables have carbs and i don't really eat meat and i have no intention on changing that.

so i try to keep my sugar to fiber ratio in check and that's how i know i'm doing all right.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I aim to keep my carbs under 100g a day (which I admittedly go over some days). Most of my carb grams come from vegetables, some from fruits and very few from legumes. I don't eat any wheat, rice, or corn products, due to insulin regulation issues. It's not for everyone, and it requires a distinct mindset change, but once you realize it's not a "quick fix" and work on changing your habits so you can maintain this for good, it becomes a lot easier.

That being said, I do miss pizza, and occasionally rice. I don't miss those more than I value a long, healthy, diabetes free life though :laugh:
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I Personally take pleasure in my occasional fatty bowl of pasta and it hasn't killed me

Saying "I do this... and it hasn't killed me" is a horrible defense of anything. I wonder how many smokers out there are like "I smoke a pack a day, and it hasn't killed me!". Doesn't mean we should imitate what they are doing.
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    Bump! :smile:
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Did anybody else get headaches from going low carb?
    Mainly the people that didn't read the bit about increasing salt intake I suspect.

It's called the "Carb Flu". Your body does have a transition phase and some people feel crappy for a week or two.
  • Cmadridk
    Cmadridk Posts: 9
    Options
    I think a low carb diet is GREAT if you want to drop a bunch of weight quickly and then gain it back even faster, plus more.

You're better off going low sugar than low carb. I did low carb/ low cal to lose 50 pounds and it was miserable. Now I'm losing the last 30-40 pounds and yesterday I ate an entire bagel and two slices of garlic toast. I woke up a pound lighter than yesterday (when all the low carb diet advice says I should have woken up with extra water weight...)

Meanwhile I kept my sugar under 30 grams, and I have absolutely no cravings for carbs or sugar...I just eat whatever looks good! Its worth a try, I would be very unhappy to live the rest of my life without starches.
  • amandamay83
    amandamay83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think this is more a semantic discussion. What do you mean by low carb? Is that your fundamental goal, and the reason the weight is coming off?

Oftentimes people extol the wonders of low carb "dieting" for weight loss, but when you look at their diet they cut out crap, started eating more meat, fish, lots of healthy veggies, fruits in moderation, etc. Now, yes, that's a low carb diet. But it's also a healthy diet. Or a "common sense" diet. You can just as easily say that you are convinced, and now going on a "common sense diet." My guess is that the food will look very similar... :-)

Don't get me wrong, I, too, eat foods that are typically low carb. I just don't think it's necessary to follow some rigid system to meet your dietary goals.

--P

I totally agree. My boss tries to do Atkins and has great success with it, when he's on it. The problem is, he's either all on or all off. He seems to go in two-week cycles. I try to do what I consider modified-Atkins...or, like you say, a common sense diet.

I DO lose weight faster and feel much better when I cut out the carbs. But this mostly means cutting out the crap foods. And while pasta and bread aren't necessarily crap, I know that I can't eat just a little of those foods, so it's better for me to avoid them.

I've looked at the Dukan diet. I'm sure I would lose weight on it, because it's ridiculously rigid. I'm also pretty sure I could never keep it up long-term, not even if it meant I could look like Duchess Catherine.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    The only thing I still haven't figured out is how to get my chocolate low carb... I love chocolate haha.

I make a variation of this: http://www.healthylivinghowto.com/1/post/2012/05/melt-inyour-mouth-not-in-your-hands.html

Sugar alcohols reek havoc on my system and stalls out my weight loss, so these really do the trick. I use liquid sucralose & vanilla extract instead of Truvia or Stevia because it tastes bitter to me. I also add an almond in there. Good stuff!

I get this chocolate from Trader Joe's:

http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Lite-Chocolate-Sugar-Free-3-Ounce/dp/B0049UDYH8
  • eyecandy1202
    Options
    bump
  • pmaia
    pmaia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I need to read more later. I keep going over in protien and carbs but am suppose to eat more calories.. so i must be doing something wrong with my choices.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    So where do you stand on the whole carb thing?

I have been a low carb believer for many years. My mistake was thinking I could just go back to eating the way I did after I lost the weight. I now know that isnt the case. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks, I guess. :)

But that doesnt mean I will never treat myself again. Everything in moderation. I eat low carb, whole wheat bread, Dreamfields pasta (2oz dry) that doesnt spike my sugar, and even a little cake on special occasions. If I can fit the numbers into my diary, I will do it. But I also eat high protein...keeps me fuller and more satisfied.

I started many years ago with the old Air Force Diet, which was low carb. Low carb has been around for decades. Some say its not sustainable, but it IS if you stick with it. I intend to this time.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ive thought about it but I love to run 8 miles a day 5-6 days a week and on the 6th day a longer run. Theres no way I could do it not to mention I love my apples, banannas and steel cut oats.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump to watch videos when I eat my carb-filled lunch :devil:
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump to reivew later
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am bumping, maybe some hints for lowering carbs...