Low fat cream cheese..and other food abominations

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    this is a response to the above. I chose not to quote it because it's getting long enough.

My first reaction: What NATURAL peanut butter has salt in it? I've NEVER seen that.

As for the low fat one: What a big load of crap they put in there!

The word I would use it isn't "chemicals" but "processed." Processing food is what makes it unhealthy for you, when compared to natural foods.

Also, we're talking about peanuts here. Yes, they are high in fat, but these are GOOD fats (Omega-3 and other fatty acids). No trans or saturated fats in there!

Just eat and darn natural peanut butter and be happy. :) Just eat less of it, or cut down on fats elsewhere (like in meat, eat less dairy, and/or avoid processed junk altogether!)
  • XxOMG_ITS_PINKxX
    Options
    Your topic title says it all. Low fat food are abominations and should probably not be consumed by anyone. Can you pronounce the even half the ingredients? No? Then probably shouldn't be eating it.

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    RAPESEED

:indifferent:

LMFAO!!!:laugh:
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I don't eat no fat foods. I will eat a low-fat food as long as it is not all chemicals. Kraft makes some salad dressings with olive oil that are naturally low in fat, but are not marketed as a low fat dressing. Also, Hellman's Mayo with olive oil has almost the same amount of fat as the light and tastes much better.

The fiber one brownies are ridiculously small, but the fiber one oats and chocolate bar is perfect!
  • VSGme
    VSGme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The Great Value brand of "I can't believe it's not butter".......It's called "Wow I Totally thought that was Butter" <---(LOL!!! I thought that was so funny when I bought it!)

it tastes like nothing. just like tasting air with a butter consistency. EW...no thanks, I'll pay a little more for the real thing!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Also. People, if you are worried do real research. Don't go to "coconutsaregoodforyou.com" if you want to know if coconuts are good for you. "Naturalfoodsarethewaytogo.org" is always going to tell you that natural foods are good for you. Look up the chemicals in a fair and balanced way. Read scientific, peer-reviewed journals. Educate yourself.

Ok, so I'll go back to my previous example of not needing added FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE in my foods...let's see:

Ferric orthophosphate is extensively used in food fortification. It is used in powder form in order to enrich various products, like bread, cereal, rice, sugar syrups and macaroni. It is also used to supplement animal feed.

Ferric orthophosphate (phosphate) is widely known to be used as a molluscicide, mainly used to kill slugs and snails. (I'll give you that salt does the same thing btw)

Ferric orthophosphate can be used to treat nose bleeds and reduce the risk of hemorrhages. Since it is a form of Iron III, it can sometimes be used as an iron nutritional supplement. The chances of causing rancidity in the food are absent in ferric orthophosphate. Ferric orthophosphate was prohibited from use as a food ingredient in the European Union in directive 2002/46/EC in 2007.

Ferric orthophosphate is a form of iron supplement which is regarded as safe; however, consuming more than the recommended dosage can be unsafe, especially for children.

Pregnant women should use caution when consuming iron during their pregancy.

So, I can unwittingly consume extra iron, since the name is not clear to most people, and your average joe cannot be relied upon to research every single odd sounding ingredient in their food. Or they can go ahead and eat peanuts and salt...both of which are easily understood, and you'll know if you are allergic to the ingredient or not.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options

So..what "diet" version food have you tried...and quickly realized "hell no...".

Some salad dressings. Oh and cottage cheese. FF cottage cheese makes me gag.
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    For Mayonnaise, I switched to Hellman's Olive Oil Reduced Fat Mayo, and I LOVE IT. I am a mayo snob too, and even if I wasn't eating healthier, I wouldn't go back. It tastes like Subway Mayo.

Fat Free cream cheese is just...ummm, gross to me. However, I love Laughing Cow products! I could eat those alone.

The one thing I thought I could handle being low fat or fat free was cheddar cheese (shredded). Nope, I will just use less and eat the good stuff.
  • ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Boathouse salad dressing made with yogurt, tasted nasty, nasty, nasty!
  • ConstableOdo
    ConstableOdo Posts: 104
    Options

Also. People, if you are worried do real research. Don't go to "coconutsaregoodforyou.com" if you want to know if coconuts are good for you. "Naturalfoodsarethewaytogo.org" is always going to tell you that natural foods are good for you. Look up the chemicals in a fair and balanced way. Read scientific, peer-reviewed journals. Educate yourself.

Ok, so I'll go back to my previous example of not needing added FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE in my foods...let's see:

Ferric orthophosphate is extensively used in food fortification. It is used in powder form in order to enrich various products, like bread, cereal, rice, sugar syrups and macaroni. It is also used to supplement animal feed.

Ferric orthophosphate (phosphate) is widely known to be used as a molluscicide, mainly used to kill slugs and snails.

Ferric orthophosphate can be used to treat nose bleeds and reduce the risk of hemorrhages. Since it is a form of Iron III, it can sometimes be used as an iron nutritional supplement. The chances of causing rancidity in the food are absent in ferric orthophosphate. Ferric orthophosphate was prohibited from use as a food ingredient in the European Union in directive 2002/46/EC in 2007.

Ferric orthophosphate is a form of iron supplement which is regarded as safe; however, consuming more than the recommended dosage can be unsafe, especially for children.

Pregnant women should use caution when consuming iron during their pregancy.

So, I can unwittingly consume extra iron, since the name is not clear to most people, and your average joe cannot be relied upon to research every single odd sounding ingredient in their food. Or they can go ahead and eat peanuts and salt...both of which are easily understood, and you'll know if you are allergic to the ingredient or not.

My point wasn't "Those things are good for you." It was "That is a terrible argument and you shouldn't make it because even if you are educated you might be making others dumber by speaking untruths." I have reiterated this many times now.
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Your topic title says it all. Low fat food are abominations and should probably not be consumed by anyone. Can you pronounce the even half the ingredients? No? Then probably shouldn't be eating it.

Here's a good example:

Low Fat Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUGAR, SOY PROTEIN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, MOLASSES, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, NIACINAMIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE.

Natural Peanut Butter

Ingredients:
    PEANUTS, SALT

Since I eat low carb I don't buy low fat anything, and actually seek out the products that are the most natural and highest in fat. Products are much more flavorful and yet somehow I loose weight without chemicals and unnatural garbage.
    Natural peanut butter tastes horrible and the texture is gross too in my opinion. I have tried several different "recommended by friends" kinds and uggh I would rather eat plain bread. Also soy milk yucky! I will stick with my fat free cows milk, I have tried almond milk and it is rather tasty, but it is also about $4something for a half gallon and my ff milk is $2something a gallon.
    I agree with the mayo too, I do use the olive oil kind but all the rest of the low fat ones are disgusting.
  • mss_anthropy
    mss_anthropy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    lmao @ bastardization.... yeah miracle whip is disgusting..... have you tried veganaise? i'm not vegan but that stuff is tasty...
  • creativeweighs
    Options
    I would much rather eat a very small serving of a full fat something (cheese, dressing, etc) than any low fat diet junk!
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    Try the laughing cow cream cheese wedges. Not bad

^This for sure^ YUMMMM :tongue:
  • caiialily
    caiialily Posts: 28
    Options

Point taken, however I'm pretty sure I don't need to be taking in any FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE when I eat peanut butter. Especially when a search for the term brings up West Bengal Chemical Industries as a top search hit for that term. I think I'll stick to peanuts and salt.

Aww, that's just iron phosphate. They use it in organic farming to get rid of snails. You'd rather have snails in your peanut butter? Haha, just kidding.

But really, that's the iron supplement that lots of companies use to get you your 4% DV of iron in your cornflakes or whatever. Lots of the vitamins and minerals sound scarier when given their scientific names. I mean who would want to eat phylloquinone? Crap, that's Vitamin K. I guess I do!

Now, I'm not defending the over-processing of so many of our foods. I seriously don't believe there should be anything in my strawberry jam but strawberries, pectin, and sugar. I'm just saying that old adage of "don't eat it if you can't pronounce it" can be a little too simple.
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    hummus! yuck!
  • mchull
    mchull Posts: 10
    Options
    Try the laughing cow cream cheese wedges. Not bad

I had tried the "regular" low fat cream cheese and thought the same thing :( I recently tried the Laughing Cow and was pleasently suprised, it was pretty good!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I eat almost nothing that is "Diet" or "Reduced Fat." I do drink diet cola and iced tea, and use Ken's "Light" vinegarettes on my salads. Otherwise I just eat less of the full fat stuff - Ice Cream, Milk, Mayo, Butter, Cheese. I'd rather have a smaller portion of something that tastes really good to me than a larger portion of something I don't like very much.

^^ This
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The only thing I buy Fat Free is Fage plain greek yogurt. Everything else I buy the full fat product and work the fat into my daily allowance. When you buy fat free you are just replacing the fat with sugars. I'd rather have the fat anyday.
  • j2tyco
    j2tyco Posts: 42
    Options
    its funny this topic is on here today because I was thinking at the store recently that I was naturally buying "low fat or fat free" versions of things for a while out of habit before I even started caring which has made it a bit harder to make those "easy smaller changes" in eating habits because I already have those as habits...have never bought anything but fat free sour cream to put in casseroles-- have always loved the laughing cow cheeses-I dont eat cottage cheese (texture issues don't even get me started) and I have to compromise for my husband and kids and buy 1% milk but if I had my way it would always be skim, I have always gotten light yogurt...I went to buy the 45 cal a slice bread for double the rpice the other day and the bread a normally buy is only 50 calories a slice so I will gladly save money and eat 5 extra calories...same with my low cal tortillas

I will say when I tried to make green bean casserole "a little bit healthier" by getting the healthy request campbells cream of chicken soup I wanted to gag...if I am gonna have any cream soups ---cream soup from a can at that..its gonna be regular full fat versions.
  • Rohbean
    Rohbean Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The kinds of yogurt that I buy is low-fat or non-fat, and it's delicious to me. I've also bought 2%-milk cheese which was fine. I even like fat-free sour cream lol.