30 Day Shred -- Doesn't Get Results?

Options

Replies

• alyja09
    alyja09 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It helps tone, but it is still important to have a calorie deficit. Nothing is magic, if you're consuming more than you're burning, you aren't going to lose. With my heart rate monitor, I only burn less than 300 calories doing 30DS (which is a lot in only 20 mins) so I add extra cardio in with it. It isn't meant to be a stand alone.

Also, pounds aren't the only determining factor. Your body will change with 30DS, even if you aren't losing 2 lbs a week.
  • stephbo4
    stephbo4 Posts: 26
    Options
    I've done all of Jillian Michael's dvd's except the yoga one. I did the Shred, Ripped in 30, Shred it with weights one after the other. Did not lose a single pound or inch.

That's not ALL of her dvd's she has many more dvds than that....
  • goforthd5
    goforthd5 Posts: 167
    Options
    My weight loss goal is not as high as some on here. My goal is to loss 18 lbs, so far I have lost 9 since January. To some that may seem horrible, but I am pleased with it. Once I realized the 1230 calorie diet was not what my body needed, I have had slow but consistent results. 30DS was a helpful tool to increase my capability and arm muscles. I really did not think it was doing much until it was over. For example, I lost 2 1/2 in off my chest (around ribcage). So if you are looking to tone and decrease in overall size, then I think it could be a good tool for you. I was also able to go from soup can weights to 5 lb weights, now that is something I am very proud of, especially with shoulder problems. I liked to do the video first thing in the morning to jump start the day and then did cardio in the afternoons.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 5 of shred and love it. I'm the type of person who has been playing the same video games for over 6 years though =). Also, since last friday I've lost 2lbs and I believe I look more toned already. I do about 200-800 cardio burn in addition to that as well everyday.
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I just started Day 1 Level 3 today, & incorporate that with 6 days a week speed walking, 3 days a week weights, and completely changing my diet, & with that I've lost 40 pounds in 62 days, so I do know it's helping in my weight loss.....I like that she mixes the weights along with ab work, planks, etc, & pushes you. I think everyone needs to find what works for them (some will like JM, some wont...it's all about getting physical activity with the type of workout that you want, & doing it consistently....that's when you truly see results, when you make exercise a habit) :)
  • wawrzje
    wawrzje Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority- the 30 day shred is definitely a good starting point and tones you up. It doesn't necessarily make you lose pounds but it does firm up some flabby areas. When I wear my heart monitor I typically burn about 250 calories. Considering this is a pretty short workout, it's not that bad. When I compared that to spin class I take, I burn over 600 calories doing that. I think the DVDs are great for days when you can't get to gym or work late and just need a little filler to do something active for the day to burn calories.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just restarted JM30DS because I don't do any weight training and I know you need some sort of strength exercise to effectively lose weight properly, cardio on it's own won't do it which is what I'm been mostly doing! The first time I tried it I only did it a few days but I could tell a difference in my endurance, which is good, but I don't remember my weight loss that week! I have an HRM and I average about 350 calories burned in the 25 minute workout, which isn't bad at all! I think if you are more out of shape then yes it's probably more likely that you'll lose more weight in the 30 days, but if you have been working out then I don't know how high the intensity will be! If you decide to do the workout then try doing more throughout the day in conjunction with the 30DS! I walk my neighborhood at a decent pace with my kids for 45 minutes every day and I also go to the gym for group classes or extra cardio. I'm only using 30DS to up my strength training! :) Some of my friends are trying Insanity and they all love it! It's not about how fit you are it's just about doing it to the best of your ability! I'm planning on ordering it soon and trying it after I finish 30DS!
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on diet, too, and if you do some extra cardio as well. I've done 30DS, RI30, and am on 6W6P. I stay under my calorie goal and eat pretty healthy, usually. I feel that I've had really good results with Jillian's DVDs.

Here's my progression over the past few months.

bYgtbl.jpg

Top left is before 30DS, top right is halfway through 30DS, bottom left is halfway through RI30, and bottom right is about halfway through 6W6P.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I had really good results with the 30 Day Shred! Here are my before/after pics. I did it right after I had my daughter.

mkabs2.jpg

2dv24hy.jpg

nmnx4z.jpg

:happy:
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think diet is a huge part of one's success with 30 DS. 1200 calories of lean protein, veggies, fruits, nuts, and legumes. Food that builds muscle while you're burning fat. ...and I'm a Cancer.

Haha I was just mentioned my sign to emphasize my impatience and fiery demands. ;)

My diet contains veggies, fruits, nuts, and a lot of protein. Hopefully that will help, then!

As for body type, I'd prefer a slim hourglass. Victoria Secret Angel status. ;) Ohhh yeah. I don't crave to be very muscly or Joyce Vedrall-y. I'm definitely not aiming for a six pack. I'd like smooth, soft, small, still hourglass. Yep! I guess that's something I should consider when choosing my workout. Never thought of it. Thanks!

Lol, some of my favorite peeps are aries!
    I think your diet sounds great, you should be well on your way!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I've just posted this elsewhere but I am on day 20 of 30DS and so far have lost 5lbs and 5-6 inches from waist/hips/arms. I'm not doing any other cardio but I feel it is working for me. I feel stronger and my stomach is flatter - this s combined with my calorie intake of 1510 per day and I eat back my exercise calories as well.

I've seen some great results from other posters and some smaller changes, but everyone is different so I don't think everyone would find this workout beneficial - I wasn't really doing any exercise before, so maybe it doesn't work so well for people who already workout a lot or are fitter?
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I am on level 2 of 30DS and Ialready see a difference in my body. I have only lost 3 pounds, but people have noiced the better definition in my arms and legs.
    I also am doing C25K and I walk about 4 miles 3 days a week. By itself it isn't enough to count as my exercise, but I figured it would be a good starting point to get some endurance so I could do the harder workouts like insanity. Next I will probably do her kickboxing DVD, I have heard it is fun and a good workout.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I did 30DS and mixed some elliptical in there, still didn't lose a lot of weight but did lose inches. I can tell a difference in my pics (they're on my profile) but maybe that's just me. I get bored easy so now I've been alternating her videos around, so a week of 30DS, a week of RI30, etc, plus I ride my bike every morning.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    AACK! My pics aren't showing. Here it is again. Excuse the duplicated post:

I had really good results with the 30 Day Shred! Here are my before/after pics. I did it right after I had my daughter.

mkabs2.jpg

2dv24hy.jpg

nmnx4z.jpg

• half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    AACK! My pics aren't showing. Here it is again. Excuse the duplicated post:

mkabs2.jpg

2dv24hy.jpg

nmnx4z.jpg

Wow. You look incredible. I wouldn't say you were over weight before, however; maybe I should wait until I'm in the 140s to see results with the 30DS?
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Emaz1027
    Emaz1027 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just had this problem because last week I did the 30DS everyday non stop and I stepped on the scale and lost 1 lb! I was so pissed cuz I was really sweating. But I'm 5"6 and 220 lbs, I'm way over weight but I'm like you I carry it well. When I tell people I'm 220 then think I'm lying so i thought weight would fall off with me doing this and I was very disappointed. Reading everyone's post makes me want to keep doing it and check my inches but so far this week I've added yoga and treadmill also. JM is just not enough, I know that now but I want to tone while I lose so I'm not stuck with a pouch of excess skin so this DVD will stay in my routine including RI30.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking, to summarize, I will NOT do the 30DS. I will wait until I have burned off my fat with strict cardio and dieting and use the 30DS to tone up. I'll also use it while I am on vacation in Turkey so I don't fall off the wagon completely. ;)

Thanks for ALL of your support and help!
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I've done all of Jillian Michael's dvd's except the yoga one. I did the Shred, Ripped in 30, Shred it with weights one after the other. Did not lose a single pound or inch.

*point* *point* See, this is what I keep hearing! More stories like this and less of the "amazing ridiculous life-changing" etc.

My point is, if I'm not going to see a huge difference, I'd rather stick with elliptical/cardio and tone when I lose weight. Bad idea?

You'll lose the *weight* faster if you incorporate strength training now, as opposed to waiting... having more muscle means your body is a better calorie burning machine. Obviously it comes down to what works for you and what you're comfortable doing, but there's no reason to wait to start lifting! Furthermore, burning off your fat with strict cardio and dieting can lead to "skinny fat" syndrome, and while you've mentioned you don't want a six pack, toned muscles are never outta fashion! :)
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I had pretty amazing results with it. I was diligent with it (doing it all the way through, 3-5 times a week), and ate healthy and stayed within my calorie goal. After doing the entire program exclusively about twice through, eventually just to switch it up I incorporated some more cardio (walks and eventually jogging), along with other workout dvds (other jillian vids, pilates). But most of the results came from 30DS. I'm mom who also works full time, so all my workouts happened after my son went to bed at night, and a short workout video was about all i had time and energy for at that point.

Here's where i started from, after having my son (roughly 160lbs):
    15968_1066055028393_1736576361_130749_1280549_n.jpg

and here is where i ended up, after finally taking my diet and exercise routine seriously (roughly 125lbs).
    download.jpg

I was in a size 4 in that after picture at 125. I weighed about 123 few years prior (with no exercise), and i was a size 8/9.
    Going to do it all again after i have this baby, and i'm going to take MEASUREMENTS this time!!!! I'll be more excited to see the inches go than the pounds! :flowerforyou: