Avocado, what do I do with it?

Options

Replies

• trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I eat at least one per week. I like to cut it into chunks and put in salad, or use as a spread on wraps. My fav thing to do with it is leave it chunked and add chunked onions, tomatoes and cilantro. Then grab some chips and dig in.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Avocados are fabulous anytime, anyplace on anything. One helpful hint: Anything acidic such as lime juice or vinegar will quickly break it down into a nice creamy texture, so it's great on salads and practically makes its own dressing.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Eat it raw :happy:

I like mine on my eggs, or as a spread on crackers. It does have a fairly high fat content, but it's good for you fat - easily digested fat - maybe just don't eat a whole one :wink:
  • tracy1031
    tracy1031 Posts: 36
    Options
    A good, ripe one will feel soft with a GENTLE squeeze. Cut it in half, put a little pepper on it, and eat it with a spoon. Or spread it on one of those thin "everything" bagels.
  • heatherab78
    Options
    I love to add avocado to veggie burgers :) or make guacamole with tomato, red onion, cilantro, lime and salt. Or add to salad. I like spinach, avocado and dried cranberry salads. Also, I make homemade curry and rice with mashed avocado on the side with just a tiny sprinkling of salt. The cool, creamyness of the avocado pairs great with the hot curry.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Avocados are fabulous anytime, anyplace on anything. One helpful hint: Anything acidic such as lime juice or vinegar will quickly break it down into a nice creamy texture, so it's great on salads and practically makes its own dressing.

Ooh yeah! I sometimes mix it with a little lemon juice, water, and garlic powder to make dressing. I just use the water to make it the right texture without being too lemony.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Make sure it is ripe.... it should have give at the tip (where the stem is).... they are AMAZING! Eat it with anything or all alone.
    Its wonderful in salads or on tex-mex... do not cook it.... I also put it into quinoa salads (cold) or pasta salads or wheatberry salads, etc... the possibilities are endless... and don't forget guacamole. :):)
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    I either just slice it and squirt some lemon juice on it, or smash it onto a sandwich.
  • bhajrizi11
    bhajrizi11 Posts: 101
    Options
    I made mango/avacado fish tacos last night and they were SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOD! lol
    here's the link:

http://www.recipe.com/fish-tacos-with-mango-avocado-salsa/?sssdmh=dm17.602521&esrc=nwdr062012&email=2096514531

i didnt fry the taco though. saved a few on calories and also you could make a avacado/egg salad. its wasnt too bad either :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/avocado-egg-salad.html#more

it was only 154 calories per 1/2 cup serving
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Ooh yeah! I sometimes mix it with a little lemon juice, water, and garlic powder to make dressing. I just use the water to make it the right texture without being too lemony.

Yes!! Blend it with Greek Yogurt (2 avocados to 1 6oz of plain non-fat greek yogurt)... add onion and garlic powder, cilantro if you have it, S and P and lemon juice.... its DELICIOUS as a cold dip :)
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I like to chop it up into chunks, then mix in some black beans, some corn, and some chipotle tabasco. SO tasty.

That sounds so good!!!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm eat it on my Turkey & Swiss sandwich right now.

I also put it in the grilled cheese I made for dinner last night. In between two slices of cheese so that the cheese melts around it and the avocado won't slide out of the sandwich.

I put avocado in EVERYTHING. :love:
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Oh and last friday i had a grill cheese sandwich w/ avocado slices and tomato slices inside, YUM!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I mix some with a couple of cold hard boiled eggs and some salsa and have it on bread or lettuce
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    If you hit a dwarf over the head with it hard enough they'll turn into a bucket of gold coins
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i love avocados naked, no condiments or inclusion in a particular recipe necessary. avocados are FRUIT, you do not steam or cook them. you eat them raw, as like any other fruit.

but, if you happen to not like them naked, here's how i commonly use avocados:

1. drizzle a little balsamic vinaigrette and pair with some fresh slices of tomato and maybe some crumbles of feta (one my of favorite snacks).
    2. top your tacos with slices of avocado, or include slices in any homemade burritos or fajitas.
    3. top your salad with slices or dices of avocado.
    4. use slices of avocado or mash up some slices to make a spread and use on burgers or in sandwiches or wraps. great substitute for mayo.
    5. top an omelet with some dices of avocado.

so many things you can do.
  • bhajrizi11
    Options
    ALSO
    you can make avacado mac and cheese

it sounds strange i know but its pretty damn delicious lol

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/stovetop-avocado-mac-and-cheese/
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    chop it up make guacamole, put it on eggs, in omelettes, eat it raw, so much you can do with it!!!
  • bhajrizi11
    Options
    ALSO
    you can make avacado mac and cheese

it sounds strange i know but its pretty damn delicious lol

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/stovetop-avocado-mac-and-cheese/

low cal pasta though of course
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just had half of an avocado on top of lentils with goat cheese and salsa... incredible :)

I also eat it in omletes, and with chicken, or with a little salt and some mozzerella, or in salads and with tuna fish.

I love avocados :)