Im jaded and not buying into trainers advice

Options
Ok my whole life I have never seen a trainer. I felt I needed to try something different and have an open mind to work on getting to the next level. The trainer I am working with I have seen in the club do very well with his clients. He said after workout today I should have easily burned 1,000 to 1,200 cals. ( My Hrm showed I burned 550) He said that we arent going to get progres by the scale but by inches. He stated that I should eat 8 times a day and not worry about cals but worry about eating good food, with protein, complex carbs and veggies. I feel a little hesistant since I burn 1,000 cals running 4 miles in 50 minutes and I have been eating 3,400 cals to maintain weight. Im a huge believer in the book burn the fat feed the muscle. I just dont see how a full body workout and not burning as many cals is going to work. If its calories in versuses calories out can doing special workouts and screwing with the body going to void that? Maybe Im jaded but if someone else has same experience or PROVEN advice I would love to hear or see that. Do I put my trust in him and see where it goes? Btw He is cert trainer and dietecian this is why I picked him. I usually have good instincts. Wonder if I should go with them. I do feel really tired and spent more then running. Any ideas?

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Well you said you wanted to try something different and have an open mind... so, HAVE AN OPEN MIND :p Try his way, it's different, that's the point! lol
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Ok my whole life I have never seen a trainer. I felt I needed to try something different and have an open mind to work on getting to the next level. The trainer I am working with I have seen in the club do very well with his clients. He said after workout today I should have easily burned 1,000 to 1,200 cals. ( My Hrm showed I burned 550) He said that we arent going to get progres by the scale but by inches. He stated that I should eat 8 times a day and not worry about cals but worry about eating good food, with protein, complex carbs and veggies. I feel a little hesistant since I burn 1,000 cals running 4 miles in 50 minutes and I have been eating 3,400 cals to maintain weight. Im a huge believer in the book burn the fat feed the muscle. I just dont see how a full body workout and not burning as many cals is going to work. If its calories in versuses calories out can doing special workouts and screwing with the body going to void that? Maybe Im jaded but if someone else has same experience or PROVEN advice I would love to hear or see that. Do I put my trust in him and see where it goes? Btw He is cert trainer and dietecian this is why I picked him. I usually have good instincts. Wonder if I should go with them. I do feel really tired and spent more then running. Any ideas?

"He said after workout today I should have easily burned 1,000 to 1,200 cals. ( My Hrm showed I burned 550)

Well clearly here's your answer. ^

He said that we arent going to get progres by the scale but by inches.

What is he basing this off of without knowing your calories consumed?

He stated that I should eat 8 times a day and not worry about cals but worry about eating good food, with protein, complex carbs and veggies.

Why would he suggest that? Are you not capable of eating "good food, protein, complex carbs, and veggies" while tracking your caloric intake to ensure you are NOT eating above your bodies needs?

I feel a little hesistant since I burn 1,000 cals running 4 miles in 50 minutes and I have been eating 3,400 cals to maintain weight. Im a huge believer in the book burn the fat feed the muscle. I just dont see how a full body workout and not burning as many cals is going to work.

Going to work for what? If your diet is great, you are eating the proper number of calories, grams of protein, and hitting your nutritional goals- why are you trying to burn so many calories doing cardio? Eat properly, lift heavy, and you will start to notice a difference in your body AND the way you look. Doing only cardio is a great way to get to skinny fat....

If its calories in versuses calories out can doing special workouts and screwing with the body going to void that?

It is calories in versus calories out for WEIGHT LOSS. Not fat loss[/]. This depends on your protein, diet, and your training."

:)
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I honesly think you should give him a chance - he is certified and a dietician. He does this for a living. Plus, you wanted something new, right? So, just try it for a few weeks - if you don't see results, stop. I know alot of people who don't burn as much when it comes to strength traning, consumes alot of calories, and dropped major inches. Don't always focus on the number on the scale, but how your clothes fit and inches lost. The scale will lie, but the tape measurer won't. Have an open-mind and go for it.
  • ItIsJessMe
    ItIsJessMe Posts: 19
    Options
    "I feel a little hesistant since I burn 1,000 cals running 4 miles in 50 minutes"

That's amazing! I run 60 minutes a day and complete 6.5 to 6.7 miles and burn about 750 calories. How are you able to burn so much more? I'm 5'6", female, 145 lbs.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree about wanting to lose inches and not more weight. You've lost a lot but seem to (from what I've seen) focused mainly on cardio. Because of that, if you lift, you will be working muscle mass instead. This will mean that you may not lose weight, but you will get smaller. Like others have said, give it a shot. Truthfully, you eat a balanced diet as it is. If he won't give you an overall calorie number to consume, pick one yourself! You can still count calories even though he says you don't need to. Try explaining to him that this is how you've lost so much weight and that it's what keeps you on track. Tell him you need the guidance and that you can't simply "eat healthy". He's starting at the basics, be open and tell him what you're thinking and how you're feeling and you guys can tweak the program. Have to work as a team!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Next time you see him, ask him why you need to eat 8 meals per day. When he replies "to keep your metabolism burning", fire him.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    "I feel a little hesistant since I burn 1,000 cals running 4 miles in 50 minutes"

That's amazing! I run 60 minutes a day and complete 6.5 to 6.7 miles and burn about 750 calories. How are you able to burn so much more? I'm 5'6", female, 145 lbs.

He's male, taller, and weighs more. Quite simple.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    When I say that I will give this a try, I tend to not question it after I make a commitment. I give it a good try. Try it for about a month. Whats the worst thats going to happen? You're going to gain couple of lbs? Best thats gonna happen? You're gonna lose a few inches.

Give it a solid try for a month and see how it treats ya :)
  • ItIsJessMe
    ItIsJessMe Posts: 19
    Options

Yup, that would make sense. I didn't know the gender (or other stuff). that's what I was wondering, thanks!
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    What are your goals? Weigh less? Look slimmer? Be stronger?

Your trainer sounds like he's giving advice to get you to build muscle which isn't a bad thing. You need protein to build muscle, and you can't get those amino acids from fat, so you do need a high-protein diet.

Your trainer's advice isn't bad, it actually lines up with a lot of science I've heard/seen/read (except for the eating 8 times a day, that's bull****). But in general, I'd give it a shot to see what happens. Yes the needle on the scale may creep up, but if you look good and feel fantastic then who cares what the scale says?
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Still that is a HUGE calorie burn. 20 calories/minute is double what I've heard is the normal max rate. And I think about double what most men burn per mile, which I think is around 125?

I'd try the trainer's advice, but throw out the b.s. you don't believe in, like 8 meals/day. But in your goals you talk about running. If it's running you want to do, maybe you should do that. I think strength training is probably better for overall health and aesthetics, though.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Next time you see him, ask him why you need to eat 8 meals per day. When he replies "to keep your metabolism burning", fire him.

Totally this!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I've heard (never bothered to confirm since I am not at a bulking up on muscle or heavy lifting stage) that the reason to eat multiple meals per day with protein in them is to make sure you body has protein available whenever it feels like building muscle. This will help to maximize muscle gains.

However, as I said, I never bothered to research this.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Bump. Interested to know what his response is to eating 8 meals a day
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing his follow up on the 8 meals a day. I'm a certified trainer and nutritionist. Have worked with morbid obesity to body builders and have never came across any recommendations for 8 meals a day. At the same time I'm a sponge for knowledge so I definitely want to hear his perspective on that. Keep in touch.

E
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time believing a dietitian would tell you that when your HRM clearly tells you otherwise! Are you sure he's really a dietitian, or perhaps just someone without the credentials who calls himself a "nutritionist"?
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I agree with Peachy - you have been at this game for a while, and should know by now what you really burn doing high heart-rate activity. I would think you'd want to trust your HRM at this point.

Take what your trainer tells you with a grain of salt - but exploit their services to learn those weight lifting routines or muscle exercises that will give you the best burn and to push yourself beyond your normal limits. My trainer is biased towards recommending supplements because he works at a nutrition shop - It my age and fitness level, I'm going to take what he tells me and put it thru my bullish**t filter. You're a smart guy - do some serious research and reading and figure out your best options.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    ...and don't HRM's OVER calculate burn for strength training? Since the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure is not the same during strength training as during cardio. Mine today told me I burned 303 in 45 minutes. I was sweating, breathing heavy, not resting for long. But I logged 258 and called it good...
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Ur HRM is NOT going to give an accurate burn for strength training. That only works for cardio. I dont think there is a way to know how much ur burning when doing strength. It depends on what group ur working, how big the group is, how intense ur doing it, what size weight you use, so many factors. Besides don't you have like an after burn after weight training? Or did I dream that?