How to eat more protein

Options
13»

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    What kind of protein recommendations do people suggest? I too think the RDA is too low, but I'm not currently doing strength training/building muscle. Yes, I know I should be, and I'm thinking I'll start this fall - cardio is so much easier for me because I can do it anywhere any time and I have three young kids LOL. I can't join a gym and haven't found a strength program at home that I like (all I have is some small dumb bells and no room for much else - I downloaded the app be your own gym but haven't really tried it yet).

So right now, my typical daily allowance of protein is around 90 grams.

Optimimum Nutrition - Almost any of their powders are great.

On a budget - 6lb bag of Crytosport (Muscle Milk) whey at Costco for a good price.

Be mindful of quick shakes like Muscle Milk, EAS etc, even the powder. They are a tad high in the heavy metals department, arsenic and the like. People get needlessly spooked by it though, but I wouldn't guzzle these all day. One or two a day though are fine, they are still solid nutritional supplements/meal replacements.
  • laylamurphy
    laylamurphy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Kebabmeatchips
    Kebabmeatchips Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    PHD Diet Whey is very good for getting protein without the calories. The Vanilla and Strawberry are superb.

Where do you get that?

To buy some on the high street then Holland and Barret is the best place but you pay slightly more than online so £30.99
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=2521&prodid=2784&searchterm=phd diet whey&rdcnt=1

Online cheapest i can see is amazon.co.uk which is £23.33

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PhD-Vanilla-Flavoured-Protein-Powder/dp/product-description/B003AXAG7G/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=65801031&s=drugstore
  • takukate
    takukate Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had no idea you could even change your protein goal on here. Good to know. I myself am a pescetarian so I understand having to come up with creative ways to get protein. My personal favorite is roasted Chick peas. It's easy you can just buy them canned in water, drain them, spread them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper for simple flavors. I've used buffalo sauce before though and that was wonderful so just play with what you like. Different recipes say roast at different temperatures but what matters is achieving the texture you like. The longer you cook them, the less moisture, the harder they are, and the longer they will last without molding in a baggie in the cupboard. But you could always keep them in the fridge if you like them on the softer side. TONS of protein and low calorie :)

I've also experimented with making my own protein bars. try this site :)http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemade-energy-bar-recipe/
    they are sooooo great!
  • sarabelle0
    sarabelle0 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am mostly vegan. The only way I can hit all the protein is to use hemp protein powder. A little pricey but it keeps me full and on target!
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bumping for later! thanks!
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I am mostly vegan. The only way I can hit all the protein is to use hemp protein powder. A little pricey but it keeps me full and on target!

Explain mostly vegan lol
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Quest 100% Natural Protein Bars...20g protein and Low Carb
  • Leanne926
    Leanne926 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i'm not a fan of protein shakes so i'll give you some plant based protein ideas that you can incorporate

edamame (soybeans)
    tofu, tempeh, vegan burgers
    mushrooms
    asparagus
    hummus
    broccoli/cauliflower
    frozen chopped spinach
    pinto, kidney, black, or garbanzo beans
    greens like kale
    nutritional yeast can be added to anything and it's packed w/ vitamins, minerals, & protein plus tastes yummy
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these ideas I'm finding it hard as a veggi to get my protein up with out paying a lot for it either cash wise or with high calories. I did find a bar called Luna bars that have 9-12 grams of protien in them. There at our local dollar store too ( dollar tree) for 1.00 . There pretty cheap at the grocery store too.
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • smithmom531
    smithmom531 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    i usually make a protein shake with IsoPure zero carb vanilla protein powder, protein enhanced unsweetened almond milk, unflavored whey factors powder and some creamy almond butter. 54g of protein for breakfast & 6 carbs & 360 cals.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    1. open mouth
    2. insert chicken
    3. close mouth
    4. chew

just do this over and over again.

No really, protein shakes are good, i like to make tuna salads with plain greek yogurt- tons of protein there. Hummus and veggies....did you say youre a vegetarian bc i didnt really read your post, I just felt silly then decided after to give a real answer. Soy beans.