Call me convinced: I'm going low carb

Options

Replies

• pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The only thing I still haven't figured out is how to get my chocolate low carb... I love chocolate haha.

I make a variation of this: http://www.healthylivinghowto.com/1/post/2012/05/melt-inyour-mouth-not-in-your-hands.html

Sugar alcohols reek havoc on my system and stalls out my weight loss, so these really do the trick. I use liquid sucralose & vanilla extract instead of Truvia or Stevia because it tastes bitter to me. I also add an almond in there. Good stuff!

I get this chocolate from Trader Joe's:

http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Lite-Chocolate-Sugar-Free-3-Ounce/dp/B0049UDYH8

That has malitol, which is a sugar alcohol. :(
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a bit of confusion about the phrase low carb. There is a big difference between atkins induction low carb and eating lower carbs then what is recommended by the governments food pyramid. Most of the people arguing against low carb seem to be actually practicing low carb eating to some extent. . Low carb for me is staying around 100g carbs per day, and only eating complex carbs. I don't see how anyone can argue that is less healthy than maxing out on refined carbs and sugars...unless they are a serious endurance athlete.

THANK YOU!!! this is what is so frustrating to me. My friend gets on me all of the time for low carb, and I reply with eating lean meats, tons of vegetables, and fruit in moderation is bad for me how?? I eat a ton and still lose weight because of what I eat!!! Carbs aren't evil, but if I can eat a HUGE salad vs a small scoop of rice for the same amount of calories, you better believe i'm going for the huge salad!!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I exercise a lot. I need my carbs.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Update:
    It's only been three days since I decided to reduce my carbs (I started MPF on a Wed. so that's when I weigh in) but I have to say I like what I'm seeing! I lost 2.4 lbs this week which is more than I expected.

I have my calories set to lose 1.9 lbs a week but I'm almost always over on my calories each day. I honestly don't worry about it as long as I'm under maintenance I'm fine with it--I eat when I'm hungry. This week I was over 1,615 calories but I still managed 2.4 lbs when I would have expected to only lose about a pound since I went over so much this week. I'm assuming it's just the water weight everyone talks about but it'll be interesting to see how I feel and what I lose after a whole week of keeping my carbs under 100g.

Calories - Remaining Calories - Total Carbs:

1365......+53........63
    1452......-34.........73
    1451......-33.........70
    2097......-679......198
    1784......-269......190
    1743...... -325......164
    1746...... -328......213
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it! Ive been in low carb diet for month than a month (with my doctor's order) and I'm loving it. Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish!
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • calamity_j
    Options
    I have been on the ideal protein diet for 2 months and was suffering! Mostly because the protien stuff caused constipation. But I feel now, that it was also too low in calories(I heard 800/day), my daughter has me on the diet here, and I am happy and have lost 4lbs in 8 days! So I am continueing my no sugar/fruit/flour/rice low carb diet cause I feel great. I know that it is hyper vigilant to try and get sugar aout of my diet(even soya sauce has sugar!)<who knew!lol! I am so new and learning all this and find I am spending hrs just trying to find info on what food has in it!!! But if anyone wants to look at my food menu to gleam idas, go right ahead. It has been amazing how many different opinions there is about diets....opinions are like belly buttons...everybody's got one! ;-) oh did I mention that hemp seeds are my new best friend!!!lol! I also noticed how when you look up food on the data base, there are huge differences on what food has:carbs/fiber/sugar/calories...anybody else notice this? I am starting to research better to get as truthful/accurate as I can be for my recording my food.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Ive been thinking about lowering my carbs aswell due to finding out that its one of the causes of feeling tired alot of the time, didnt know eating alot fruit was considered bad though lol

When you are first breaking carb addiction, fruits should be eliminated mainly because they have a very high sugar content. If you are strving for 20-25 carb gms per day, you won't be able to eat fruit and maintain that level. Leafy veggies, loads of salads, cauliflower, some broccoli, and other high quality whole fresh veggies should make up most of your carbs. Watch out for hidden carbs especially in processed foods. Manufacturers like to add sugars in a variety of forms (high fructose corn syrup for instance) in order to make better flavor after they've stripped out all the good stuff from over processing.

I've low carbed for years. It's not a diet, but a lifestyle for me. Yes I occassionally eat more carbs, like ice cream and a slice of pie or french fries, but I don't crave them, like I used to! And just for the record, I eat butter, mayonaisse, bacon, cheese, sausage, and all other meats and fish, all my cholesterol levels are way within healthy ranges but especially my LDL levels are outstanding. I'm 60, I take no meds, my blood pressure borders on low, and although I am a bit overweight, I'm as healthy as can be. I don't follow any specific diet, but my macros are 45 protein, 25 carbs and 30 fats. I only recently changed them around a bit because I'm lifting weights (New Rules of Lifting for Women and Stronglifts 5x5)
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to read this whole post when I have some time!!!
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Will read when I have more time
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I want to go low carb too but I don't know how to start. Which diet are you going to do?

Don't look for a diet...look for a way of eating that you can sustain for the rest of your life. Low carb is simply eating mostly animals and their by-products (saturated fats are good!), and lower carb fruits and vegetables. Drink water, tea or coffee and skip the sodas. My ratios which I set as a custom setting are 70% healthy fats, 25% protein and 5% carbohydrates.
  • LaJaunaF
    Options
    Ive been thinking about lowering my carbs aswell due to finding out that its one of the causes of feeling tired alot of the time, didnt know eating alot fruit was considered bad though lol

When you are first breaking carb addiction, fruits should be eliminated mainly because they have a very high sugar content. If you are strving for 20-25 carb gms per day, you won't be able to eat fruit and maintain that level. Leafy veggies, loads of salads, cauliflower, some broccoli, and other high quality whole fresh veggies should make up most of your carbs. Watch out for hidden carbs especially in processed foods. Manufacturers like to add sugars in a variety of forms (high fructose corn syrup for instance) in order to make better flavor after they've stripped out all the good stuff from over processing.

I've low carbed for years. It's not a diet, but a lifestyle for me. Yes I occassionally eat more carbs, like ice cream and a slice of pie or french fries, but I don't crave them, like I used to! And just for the record, I eat butter, mayonaisse, bacon, cheese, sausage, and all other meats and fish, all my cholesterol levels are way within healthy ranges but especially my LDL levels are outstanding. I'm 60, I take no meds, my blood pressure borders on low, and although I am a bit overweight, I'm as healthy as can be. I don't follow any specific diet, but my macros are 45 protein, 25 carbs and 30 fats. I only recently changed them around a bit because I'm lifting weights (New Rules of Lifting for Women and Stronglifts 5x5)

Talk about hidden carbs, has everyone seen the new IHOP commercial bragging that they add a "splash" of pancake batter to their omelettes???? WTHeck??????
  • LaJaunaF
    Options
    I have been on the ideal protein diet for 2 months and was suffering! Mostly because the protien stuff caused constipation. But I feel now, that it was also too low in calories(I heard 800/day), my daughter has me on the diet here, and I am happy and have lost 4lbs in 8 days! So I am continueing my no sugar/fruit/flour/rice low carb diet cause I feel great. I know that it is hyper vigilant to try and get sugar aout of my diet(even soya sauce has sugar!)<who knew!lol! I am so new and learning all this and find I am spending hrs just trying to find info on what food has in it!!! But if anyone wants to look at my food menu to gleam idas, go right ahead. It has been amazing how many different opinions there is about diets....opinions are like belly buttons...everybody's got one! ;-) oh did I mention that hemp seeds are my new best friend!!!lol! I also noticed how when you look up food on the data base, there are huge differences on what food has:carbs/fiber/sugar/calories...anybody else notice this? I am starting to research better to get as truthful/accurate as I can be for my recording my food.

If you do high protein without also eating healthy fats (animal sources not plant sources) you can get bad constipation. If you eat plenty of fats you body will thank you!
  • LaJaunaF
    Options
    I exercise a lot. I need my carbs.

No, you need calorie dense foods, like protein and animal fats! Protein drinks laces with a healthy dollop of EV coconut oil will do the trick!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat between 300 & 400 g of carbs a day. Hasn't hampered my weight loss or maintenance. Random piece of info.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    over the last couple of months i've been slowly lowering my carb intake. Only God knows how much carbs i ws taking in before i realized i should look at my carbs. so i set it at 200. then 100, then 75 then 50 .. then a few days ago i set it at 20grams a day. but i was still having cookies and breads rice, fruits candy.and nuts. so today i actually started the atkins induction plan with no fruits, no nuts. i am planning to do this for a while. induction is only 2 weeks. then i plan to raise my carb intake a bit. myhope is to lose some inches and fat because my feet hurt so much i just don't see any other way of doingit without exercise andi just can't. anywho.. i don't plan it to be a 20 gram a day or 40 gram a day for ever. my intent is to eventually eat about 40 grams per meal. upto about 125-150 grams a day. hopefully. we'll see how it works. I definitely need the support and friendships from people who are doing the same..

so please FRIEND ME!
  • 140lbgoal
    140lbgoal Posts: 19
    Options
    I want this framed and in my kitchen!...LOL
  • LaJaunaF
    Options
    I eat between 300 & 400 g of carbs a day. Hasn't hampered my weight loss or maintenance. Random piece of info.

Everyone has to find what works for them. I personally have a "carb addiction". I can't eat just one of any of the high carb/sugary/starchy list of foods without grazing and finally binging. I have to completely abstain from a whole list of foods for now so that I can have some control over my appetites. Low carb eliminates those cravings that keep me in bondage to junk food. I am happy that you are able to eat that high a number of carbs, wish I could. I can't and lose weight.
  • Danielle817
    Danielle817 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump