I'm eating healthier but still gaining fat? :/

Options

Replies

• Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    I didnt made u a comment on your pic to bring u down or bully you. I made a comment on your pic because u said that u are eating healthy and gainning fat. If it was a picture of a fat person, i would probably try to advice them to eat less sugar or exercise more. Since you aren´t fat at all, by the contrary u look thin i think u should eat more and be happy by gainning fat. The guy/ women that told u to eat a cheeseburguer, probably had the same thoughts. Anyway u still look better then me in a bathing suite , lol, so dont worry and be happy
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm so sorry for all the judgemental people on this board!

But anyway, as to your question, while your diary does look good you are WAY over on your sodium. I agree with the others who have said you are probably retaining water like crazy and that's the reason your belly is flabby. Cut your sodium down and you should see an improvment.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've cleaned up my diet somewhat and I'm eating healthier foods and I'm eating more now too because I was eating too little before. I'm also doing 2 swim workouts a day but I'm still gaining fat? Specifically on my stomach area.... I'm not necessarily adding a lot of pounds, I'm just getting squishy and there is a visible fat layer on my stomach now that wasn't there before. Why is this happening and how can I stop it?

When I start losing fat, the area gets very "squishy".
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Everyone's commenting on my picture, so I'll let you all know that that's what I looked like right before I started to increase my food and eat a little healthier. I have gained fat since then and look a bit different so PLEASE stop telling me I look unhealthy.

I uploaded a recent picture on my profle so you can see the difference that a few weeks and different eating has made.

Yeah, there is a difference but I still think it's temporary bloat and not fat gain. How long have you been eating at maintenance?

I think like a week and a half or so

Give it a couple of weeks and I bet it'll even out, your body will get used to the new food levels and you'll be happier with where you are. You are doing great. Don't let rude people upset you.
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options

But anyway, as to your question, while your diary does look good you are WAY over on your sodium. I agree with the others who have said you are probably retaining water like crazy and that's the reason your belly is flabby. Cut your sodium down and you should see an improvment.

Everyone is judgemental, ur being judgemental by saying others are judgemental ...the only thing that matters is the intention of the judging
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Is that your photo, lovely?

There's not a lot of fat there. You really can't lose more fat, without starting to become very unhealthy. Strength training may help you attain the appearance you're after, but don't forget you'll have to fuel that training.

Take care.

^^^ agreed you don't look like you need to lose any body fat!
  • sandyyy712
    sandyyy712 Posts: 94
    Options

When you get bloated from sodium though wouldn't it be hard when you poke your stomach? Because I've thought that maybe that is the reason (and I know I've been going way over on my sodium) but idk if that's why I'm feeling like this because it's not really hard anymore when i poke my stomach, now it squishes and when I sit it kinda rolls again and stuff. I mainly just wanna get rid of that
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My belly is squishy when I go over on my sodium and it is better since I quit drinking soda.

Good luck to you.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other responses, just start lifting some light weights and start building some more muscle. :flowerforyou:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

When you get bloated from sodium though wouldn't it be hard when you poke your stomach? Because I've thought that maybe that is the reason (and I know I've been going way over on my sodium) but idk if that's why I'm feeling like this because it's not really hard anymore when i poke my stomach, now it squishes and when I sit it kinda rolls again and stuff. I mainly just wanna get rid of that

Mine is squishy from bloat. It's hard from gas. Seriously. It's NOT fat.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Start lifting! I think you'll notice a difference with that. Like others said, you might benefit from building muscle.
  • stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think you look much better in ur 2nd picture, much more in proportion and no ribs sticking out! I also think it makes you look thinner because your not so ribby it doesn't make ur belly stick out (if you know what I mean!! Because you were painfully thin it made ur belly appear to stick out even tho you didn't have a belly!) you sodium is madly high on some days I seen a day with 6,000!!!!! OMG!! It may be different in the US but in england we are only supposed to eat UNDER 1500!!! And PLENTY of water I try to drink around 12cups a day......good luck xx
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It is temporary and always happens if you go from eating not very much, to eating a decent amount. It happens to anorexics in recovery also, and is quite well known (not saying you are anorexic, but you do look too thin right now and so the same thing will happen to you if you have gone from eating very little to eating a more healthy amount). It will balance out. Continue to eat a healthy, well balanced diet, drink plenty of water, and yes, salt can be an issue if you have lots of it. Wheat may or may not be an issue, I tend to feel horribly bloated if I have too many bready products and prefer to have wholegrain rice, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes and rice cakes instead. Mind you, just having a plate of veggies seems to bloat me these days, lol.

I doubt very much it is fat, and even if it is, if you are underweight, is that really a bad thing? Just start doing some strength training and a little less cardio and then you wont have to worry so much. Swimming is very good for all the muscles, so I would keep that up. Well done on upping your calories and making an effort to start eating what your body needs. I find that really cool.

As to the rolls, most people get that when they sit a certain way, it is skin and relaxed muscle. You cannot expect your stomach to be concave and to never protrude at all, especially after eating and drinking. I would drive myself nuts if I sat checking out my belly all the time.
  • stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Also try Jillian michaels ripped in 30 I've seen some amazing pics of the results on here!! I'll be ordering mine next week!
  • sandyyy712
    sandyyy712 Posts: 94
    Options
    BTW I do lift weights. I do a dry land workout with my swim team twice a week and lift weights on my own every other day.

I'm working on strength training, I'm just not naturally strong in my upper body.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    Just my opinion but I expect that if you have recently upped your calories by a large amount it it's probably just your body dealing with a sudden intake of food? I have a friend who is naturally thin and he isn't really interested in food and around Christmas and birthdays he looks kind of swollen
  • TunnocksTeacake
    Options
    sorry but your way too thin stop dieting, I dont mean to be cruel but you look anorexic, eat for gods sake eat.

If you actually looked at her diary, she's eating pretty well. 2000 calories some days. Maybe before you post something so judgmental, you should actually try looking into what she's eating.

BUT LOOK AT CALORIES ADDED FROM EXERCISE. No need to diet any further. Not healthy to see bones like that. Sorry but not a good look my friend
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think you look much better in ur 2nd picture, much more in proportion and no ribs sticking out! I also think it makes you look thinner because your not so ribby it doesn't make ur belly stick out (if you know what I mean!! Because you were painfully thin it made ur belly appear to stick out even tho you didn't have a belly!) you sodium is madly high on some days I seen a day with 6,000!!!!! OMG!! It may be different in the US but in england we are only supposed to eat UNDER 1500!!! And PLENTY of water I try to drink around 12cups a day......good luck xx

Agreed. I think you look much better in your 2nd picture. I think it looks so pitiful to see bones like that!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    sorry but your way too thin stop dieting, I dont mean to be cruel but you look anorexic, eat for gods sake eat.

If you actually looked at her diary, she's eating pretty well. 2000 calories some days. Maybe before you post something so judgmental, you should actually try looking into what she's eating.

BUT LOOK AT CALORIES ADDED FROM EXERCISE. No need to diet any further. Not healthy to see bones like that. Sorry but not a good look my friend

I just saw those mega calorie burns!!! What's up with that?
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters about the sodium intake.

You should consider eating more on the days that you swim. There were some days in your diary that you were netting zero calories due to the terrific calorie burn you get from swimming.

Good luck!