Can sushi be included in a healthy diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Rolls aren't really sushi. Sushi is a piece of raw fish on a small piece of rice. Few places make it properly. But the rice should not require two bites. The other kind of sushi is sashimi. Just plain raw fish. Obviously the best, but considerably more expensive to order, usually. Most people like rolls. They are loaded with all kinds of junk. Usually lots and lots of mayo. Yuk-o.

But, yes, sushi can be part of a healthy diet. It's great food. Just stay away from he junk. Google th rolls you eat and see what's really n them. Then, make better choices.

lol!!!! I love the ones with mayo in them!!!!! YUMMY!!!!! spicy ahi is the bomb!!!!!! In Hawaii, every place has some kind of sushi! every 7-11 has bentos too!!!! haven't had much rice as of ... ;D but I will eat the spicy ahi without rice anyday!!!!!
  • Jishmeister
    Jishmeister Posts: 108
    Options
    I LLLOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE sushi! I sure hope it's healthy because I consume it often. Shrimp, Tuna, and salmon are my favorites. I love all kinds of sushi, sashimi, and fancy rolls. The Alaskan roll, kona roll, and the philadelphia roll are my top favorite rolls.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I need to know, because I'd rather eat healthier. How on -earth- do you make brown rice taste good? I also have a hard time cooking it! It comes out weird. :P

Buy a rice cooker and set it to "brown rice." It takes longer to cook and cooks better under the pressure of a real rice cooker. Also, you can cook it in other liquids like low sodium chicken broth and teas like barley tea which give it a slightly sweeter flavor.

What dudebuddy said, it will give it a softer texture. I rarely eat brown rice anymore but when I cook it I always use chicken or vegetable stock to give it a bit more flavor. I tend to eat quinoa (which is delicious, better for you, and soaks up flavor).

Another alternative you might try is black rice, which is essentially brown rice without the husk removed. It is literally black, when cooked looks like a deep purple but I think has a better flavor than brown rice.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    Whenever I go and get sushi, I always get the sushi that has brown rice and raw salmon.

I think it has some kind of mayo in it... however I believe that the brown rice, salmon and seaweed makes it a very nutritious meal.

May have to get some tomorrow :)
  • chris1816
    Options
    Whenever I go and get sushi, I always get the sushi that has brown rice and raw salmon.

I think it has some kind of mayo in it... however I believe that the brown rice, salmon and seaweed makes it a very nutritious meal.

Sashimi is still the way to go, avoid the rice all together. A bit pricier but best way to get a fuarkload of protein bang for your caloric buck.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options

Sashimi is still the way to go, avoid the rice all together. A bit pricier but best way to get a fuarkload of protein bang for your caloric buck.

I find that I need some good carbs around lunch time or I don't have energy for the gym after work! Otherwise I totally would get sashimi instead!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    The difference between white rice and brown rice nutrition is minimal. And if people don't know it, they are both broken down in the body the same way................into it's simplest form then absorbed by the body. You can eat white rice and be healthy. Many Asians have done it for thousands of years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chris1816
    Options
    The difference between white rice and brown rice nutrition is minimal. And if people don't know it, they are both broken down in the body the same way................into it's simplest form then absorbed by the body. You can eat white rice and be healthy. Many Asians have done it for thousands of years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Oh I agree, just in a situation where I'm on a caloric deficit, ditch the rice etc.

In the case of white rice, the bran, husk, germ etc are all removed, which allows the body to process it into base carbohydrates more easily. Husk is still removed from brown rice, but nothing else, and in black rice, you have everything still intact and thus a higher fiber/nutrient content.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    why wouldnt it be considered healthy? I think its actually a SUPER healthy meal
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Chirashi and Sashimi.. mmmmmmmm
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    why wouldnt it be considered healthy? I think its actually a SUPER healthy meal

Rolls, crunchy rolls, etc. Most people don't actually eat sushi...at least when I go to sushi with people, they never just order sushi or sashimi. They order all the bad stuff because that's what they like. So, that's why.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love sushi, but in rural southern Minnesota it's impossible to find.

Make you're own?
    It's super easy!
    There are a BUNCH of tutorial's on youtube.

You'd have to have access to really fresh seafood, which I doubt is available in rural southern MN.

I live in Wisconsin, and we seem to manage to have sushi (minus the fresh fish) frequently. My husband is a pro at making easy california rolls, or the alaska roll (with smoked salmon), etc. Here is a tip - if you don't have sushi rice, just add an additional half cup of water for each cup of rice that you make, to make it sticky. :)
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love eating sushi when I go out. I always get a tuna roll and either a california roll or a salmon roll. I love it. I think it's healthy - the tuna and salmon are very good for you.

I totally didn't think of making my own sushi. My parents even have a kit. Let's hope they let me borrow it.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I love eating sushi when I go out. I always get a tuna roll and either a california roll or a salmon roll. I love it. I think it's healthy - the tuna and salmon are very good for you.

I totally didn't think of making my own sushi. My parents even have a kit. Let's hope they let me borrow it.

Google the rolls. Not healthy at all. Lots of mayo in them.
  • Scalesareforthefishes
    Scalesareforthefishes Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I don't get the one's with mayo .ick.

I get just avocado and crab. That's all.
    So It's pretty healthy..right?
  • tiggerunner
    tiggerunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ha, moved to Tokyo 2 months ago and hate sushi and most fish. It's hard eating healthy here with the fruit being so expensive. I eat a lot of chicken and vegetables that are on sale.
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The trouble with sushi is the saki and beer. We eat it about once a week. I have to plan and exercise but its worth it not to feel deprived. I gave up the saki and have sashimi as well as rice. Ahi salad is the bomb.
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I did Google them actually. The ones I get have a maximum of 1 tbsp mayo for each roll. I can afford that. I went out and got two rolls last night and it cost me around 400 calories. That's a better option than a burger and sometimes I'm sick of salad.

I can't get sushi that much anyway... it's expensive.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    how on earth do you eat wasabi without shoyu sauce???? just wondering!!!!
    i think sushi is fine in moderation, why not???
    I don't get anything fried or with cream cheese.
    Sometimes If they aren't in a bad mood they'll make me brown rice sushi ( lol )
    I usually get shrimp and avocado
    and crab and avocado

It usually come's to 300 calories with a pretty good amount of protein and fat.
    I don't add soy sauce or anything.
    Sometimes wasabi though.
    Is it ok to indulge in sushi once and awhile? ( usually 3 time's a month )
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    ditto on the tutorials - it can be made pretty easily with some practice

my roommate gave up on rolling it and just throws all the ingredients in a bowl for "deconstructed sushi" - it's still delicious