water fasting

Options

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    One of the most stupid things I have ever done was a 2 week fast with medical supervision.i had no food and no water either... In stead I had lots of acupuncture ... I felt really crazy, really scared and like everyone else said put all the weight on quickly after I finished.
    Looking back I can see how I took a huge gamble with my health, I therefore cannot judge anyone for being interested in any crazy weight loose method, but seriously there is nothing to be gained other than a few extra pounds in the long run.

You know what? No.

You should judge. Judge the *kitten* out of things and people because it's smart, and right.

In your case you should be shouting loud and clear when people consider this crap; "Hey, you know that moronic sounding thing you are considering doing? Yeah, you're a twit for considering it."
  • getsixpack
    getsixpack Posts: 49
    Options
    Yep - look who did water fasts - Gandhia, Ceasar Chavez - and look what happened - THEY FAILED... WATER FAST ISN'T GOOD FOR WEIGHT LOSS OR POLITICAL/RELIGIOUS REASONS - don't do it. PERIOD.
    One of the most stupid things I have ever done was a 2 week fast with medical supervision.i had no food and no water either... In stead I had lots of acupuncture ... I felt really crazy, really scared and like everyone else said put all the weight on quickly after I finished.
    Looking back I can see how I took a huge gamble with my health, I therefore cannot judge anyone for being interested in any crazy weight loose method, but seriously there is nothing to be gained other than a few extra pounds in the long run.

You know what? No.

You should judge. Judge the *kitten* out of things and people because it's smart, and right.

In your case you should be shouting loud and clear when people consider this crap; "Hey, you know that moronic sounding thing you are considering doing? Yeah, you're a twit for considering it."
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Why would you do this to yourself?
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    people are so rude and stupid!!

I havent done that long of a fast only a couple days...i get majorrr headaches, but i feel great because i feel like a feather LOL..
    are you going to do the whole 2 weeks at once? because maybe you should slowly move into it..like for example do a 2 day fast, then 4 day fast in a couple weeks, than 6 day fast..so its not so hard on you! unless you want to! lol i would probably be the grumpiiest person ever after a few days ..i get so irritable lol but good luck though :)))))
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

I havent done that long of a fast only a couple days...i get majorrr headaches, but i feel great because i feel like a feather LOL..
    are you going to do the whole 2 weeks at once? because maybe you should slowly move into it..like for example do a 2 day fast, then 4 day fast in a couple weeks, than 6 day fast..so its not so hard on you! unless you want to! lol i would probably be the grumpiiest person ever after a few days ..i get so irritable lol but good luck though :)))))

Christ on f*cking toast.
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    why 3-14 days? I have fasted a couple times when my eating has gotten out of control to get back into the swing of things but never more then 24 hours and even that makes me feel kind of out of it. Don't drive or operate heavy machinery if you are really going to do that. I didn't even drive when I did 24 hours.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It seems like an utterly futile, and downright dangerous thing to do, in my personal opinion, but whatever floats your boat. Just do not expect it to achieve anything other than various health issues, most likely, and rapid regain of any weight lost.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Please don't drive or operate heavy machinery while doing this. Keep the danger to yourself.
  • marykay_and_ashley
    marykay_and_ashley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Okay well first of all, I wasn't expecting such negative feedback from myfitnesspal. I thought the point of this site was for people to encourage you...and if you didn't like my idea, then you should nicely tell me why you don't advise it.

Now, doctors allow water fasting. Tell me, if this was soooo dangerous to my body, why would a doctor approve?

This is not just for weight loss. It will detoxify my body, so that when I change my eating habits into healthy habits my body is able to adapt easier. I am not going to water fast for ten days and then eat an entire pizza the day after I am done.. therefore I will not gain all my weight back. I will exercise and start by eating fruit every couple hours for a bout a week until I am able to take on actual meals.

I have researched this topic and obviously found controversal results, but I am taking the step to clean out my body and my mind, so I can feel better about myself and start with a healthy lifestyle once it's all said and done.

I am on day 2 of my 10 day water fast. After day 3 all the side effects will gradually decrease. This will also help with my sleep and with my skin.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Sounds pretty stupid, if you want to lose weight just eat less.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    There are many detox fasts out there (juice fasts with grains and other nutrients) that are much more healthful, if you do want to try a detox program. But just water fasting with zero nutrients for detox? There are healthier ways to go.

For instance -- there are supervised programs like this out there: http://www.wherevent.com/detail/Caroline-Ashley-Yoga-Karuna-and-Shivanter-invite-you-to-the-3rd-Annual-Cleanse-in-Boulder,-CO
  • davidb611
    davidb611 Posts: 16
    Options
    sounds like a great way to encourage catabolism. Concentrate on losing body fat over losing the weight.
  • marykay_and_ashley
    marykay_and_ashley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I do not eat enough calories. I don't eat 1000 calories a day, and I never realized that was harming my body.
    I know what you're going to say, so why don't you just eat more? I have a fear that if I eat more I will gain the weight, even though I walk 2 miles a day. (hey, it's a start) I'm not gaining weight, but I'm not losing either.

Once again I am very surprised on how many unsupportive people there are on this site. Sorry for anyone I have offended with making this post in the first place. I should have just listened to my doctor. But thanks for your input. Just reminds me that I have to work harder to impress the people who don't believe in me:)
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm surprised that you're surprised with the feedback you're getting. MFP is a website for healthy weight management. People maintain FOOD diaries here. Obviously not many people are going to be supportive of a water fast or bound to have a good opinion of it.
    BTW, I did it once for religious purposes. Well, I tried anyway. I gave up after 1 day because I couldn't handle the hunger... Good luck with yours.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Your doctor told you to ingest nothing but water for 3-14 days? Really? Really really?

My doctor has told me to drink nothing but water after midnight on days I have to get bloodwork done. Is that what you are referring to as a "water fast"?

If not, and the answer to my first question is yes, you need a new doctor.
  • kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

SERIOUSLY people this is ridiculous. You will literally, honestly make yourself sick!

This isn't about me blindly choosing to not support someone - I completely understand and empathize with how frustrating it is when people don't support your weight loss or fitness goals. Been there, done that. I'm all about cheerleading people who want to make a difference in their lives, to commit themselves to healthier lifestyle.

But there's a reason people are shouting at you right now, and that's because this is not only unhealthy, it's DANGEROUS.

You want to flush out your body and kickstart a new diet? Great - do a detox. I recommend the Wild Rose Cleanse.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Okay well first of all, I wasn't expecting such negative feedback from myfitnesspal. I thought the point of this site was for people to encourage you...and if you didn't like my idea, then you should nicely tell me why you don't advise it.

Now, doctors allow water fasting. Tell me, if this was soooo dangerous to my body, why would a doctor approve?

This is not just for weight loss. It will detoxify my body, so that when I change my eating habits into healthy habits my body is able to adapt easier. I am not going to water fast for ten days and then eat an entire pizza the day after I am done.. therefore I will not gain all my weight back. I will exercise and start by eating fruit every couple hours for a bout a week until I am able to take on actual meals.

I have researched this topic and obviously found controversal results, but I am taking the step to clean out my body and my mind, so I can feel better about myself and start with a healthy lifestyle once it's all said and done.

I am on day 2 of my 10 day water fast. After day 3 all the side effects will gradually decrease. This will also help with my sleep and with my skin.

Has YOUR doctor advised this and approved it? Who are these doctors you say allow and approve it? It sounds like an extremely dangerous thing to do which could cause you permanent damage or even death. IF you are wanting to do it, then you should seek medical advice first... and that is NOT reading websites supposedly written by a doctor. That's a proper doctor in a hospital.

What are you hoping to gain from it?

Reason you are getting the negative feedback is because this place is about getting healthy. We need food to remain healthy. Not eating food for 14 days is not healthy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why protein and fat are daily essentials. Water alone carries neither.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options

Christ on f*cking toast.

yummm :P
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I do not eat enough calories. I don't eat 1000 calories a day, and I never realized that was harming my body.
    I know what you're going to say, so why don't you just eat more? I have a fear that if I eat more I will gain the weight, even though I walk 2 miles a day. (hey, it's a start) I'm not gaining weight, but I'm not losing either.

Once again I am very surprised on how many unsupportive people there are on this site. Sorry for anyone I have offended with making this post in the first place. I should have just listened to my doctor. But thanks for your input. Just reminds me that I have to work harder to impress the people who don't believe in me:)

1) Why do you ask a question if you have no intention of following any advice received?
    2) Why do you expect that people should blindly support you in whatever you're doing? People aren't *offended*. They're writing to warn you, and anyone else who reads your post, that this isn't a good idea.