Protein immediately after a work out?

Options
I'm not sure if this should be posted here vs. food & nutrition, but I'll ask anyway. Tomorrow I start working with a personal trainer. A few days ago during our assessment, he asked about the protein in my diet and I told him that often times after a workout, I make a whey protein shake (at home). He told me it's best to take whey IMMEDIATELY following the workout.. not to wait til I get home, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc. Obviously this means mixing it (with water, most likely) prior to working out and putting it down the hatch directly after we're done.

Does anyone have experience with this? Why directly after working out and not 20-30 minutes later? I could probably utilize google, and I may end up doing so, but I'd like to hear from some of you guys on the matter...thanks :)

Replies

• Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I read a study that concluded 40 grams of whey protean within the first hour has the most benefit. After the first our the benefit decreases. The study didn't look into a period shorter than the first hour.

I walk 30 min to the gym, work out and walk home. Have chocolate milk with whey protean when I get home (30 mins), i think it has made a difference.
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    your trainer is correct but if you are planning on whey protein it is very bad for you! notmilk.com
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i always heard that within 45 minutes is fine. i always have mine when i get home from the gym because i dont like mixing it with water
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Why directly after working out and not 20-30 minutes later?

If your trainer didn't/couldn't explain to you why directly after, you need to find a new trainer. The reason you should drink it directly after is because this is the time in which your muscles are broken down, your metabolic system is raging, and your body is trying to decide what to burn. If you drink the protein right away, if will help prevent the breakdown of your muscle and speed up the recovery process. If you don't have enough protein in your system, your body may decide "I am too lazy to search for fat, I'll just burn whatever I can to recover quicker" then you lose a big percentage of all the work you just did.

edit: I must also agree with stonerdude. I am not a milk advocate and despise that the stuff is so easily trusted by the health and wellness community. Among may problems with milk and dairy products, they are full of anti-nutrients that break down cells and destroy nutrients in your body. Obviously, this is not good and consuming any dairy should be at least extremely limited if not cut out completely.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Doesn't have to be *immediately* but yeah within an hour or so. It's also good to replenish your carbs. Choccy milkshake ftw.
  • jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options

If your trainer didn't/couldn't explain to you why directly after, you need to find a new trainer. The reason you should drink it directly after is because this is the time in which your muscles are broken down, your metabolic system is raging, and your body is trying to decide what to burn. If you drink the protein right away, if will help prevent the breakdown of your muscle and speed up the recovery process. If you don't have enough protein in your system, your body may decide "I am too lazy to search for fat, I'll just burn whatever I can to recover quicker" then you lose a big percentage of all the work you just did.

So, is natural protein (not a powder) just as effective?
  • leia_ophelia
    leia_ophelia Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same too and I find it helps me not be as sore the next day after an intense workout. My bootcamp instructor gave me an article about a study that showed that chocolate milk also does the same thing, so if you don't have time to make a protein shake after a workout, try grabbing a chocolate milk.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    What about Protein after a heavy Cardio session??? I usually just eat dinner right after a good solid run, after weight training I definitely take in about 25 grams of protein shake immediately after and eat dinner 20-30 min later.
  • dmg16duke
    dmg16duke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't like mixing the protein powders with water. I make a fruit smoothie (whole fruit, sometimes green tea in place of water, and protein powder) before I leave for the gym, and then I drink it afterwards. Maybe that would help you too.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I guess he thinks that the protein will be used to refresh muscles that you have worked out. It does not make too much sense though. Protein takes a long time to be processed I do not think it matters. I think it is best to take protein with some carbs an hour before a workout. The protein will slow the processing of the carbs and give you a nice even energy source while you exercise. That's how it feels to me, anyway.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    So, is natural protein (not a powder) just as effective?

Totally, any time you can go completely natural it is highly recommended. I like to take a couple hard boiled eggs and mow down on them when I am done. If you have to go with a shake, I would recommend egg protein if you can find it. Its still not great, but anything to keep people off dairy. Hell, if your down grill you up a steak, wrap it in tin foil and head off to the gym! You'll look super badass mowing down on a steak after your workout while looking like a beast!
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options

edit: I must also agree with stonerdude. I am not a milk advocate and despise that the stuff is so easily trusted by the health and wellness community. Among may problems with milk and dairy products, they are full of anti-nutrients that break down cells and destroy nutrients in your body. Obviously, this is not good and consuming any dairy should be at least extremely limited if not cut out completely.

Your body always saves the fat for last. The body loves to be fat.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I hear after a strength training session your muscle is like a sponge and that it is best to feed it protein as soon as possible following the workout. I usually just walk over to the gym's cold beverage section and buy a protein shake after my workout.
  • peka0601
    peka0601 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always go for some tuna after a work out for natural protein! Not everyone likes it lol but I love it!
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it, at best this is a myth created and studies influenced by the supplement industry. After your workout your muscles will be most likely using the protein that you ate earlier in the day or the day before. Its nuts to think that all the protein you take will be processed and into your bloodstream and muscles within half an hours time.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I have always heard to drink it within 30 minutes. I buy the ready to drink shakes for when I workout at the gym. And if not those, I will put the powder in my blender bottle and fill with water from the fountain there.
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am with several other responders. It has always been my understanding that it needs to be with in an hour of the workout and you will still get the benefits.
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I always try and have something carby (like dried fruit) immediately after excersise and then a protein shake.

I've read that this helps to stop your body burning the incoming protein for fuel and allows it to be used for muscle build/repair more effectively.
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I always try and have something carby (like dried fruit) immediately after excersise and then a protein shake.

I've read that this helps to stop your body burning the incoming protein for fuel and allows it to be used for muscle build/repair more effectively.

I almost always intake the carbs immediately after i finish and the protein shake or protein based intake within 30 mins.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    My daughter is an elite athlete and after a lot of her work outs she and the other athletes drink chocolate milk