anyone else like to drink white wine??

Options
preamble: yes i know how terrible it is for weight loss....in this forum im looking for those who like to drink it anyway and still enjoy their weight loss journey...or just those who have a kind word.

ive met many people on this site who are WONDERFUL, and others who think they should be able to down talk others efforts. here im looking for others who are losing weight while not giving up drinking?

any stories, tips, advice...all appreciated!!

Replies

• jennimben
    jennimben Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I very much enjoy having a glass of wine, or two, in the evening. I don't want to give up my relaxation after work, but I still want to lose. I was told by my doctor to make sure to switch out my carbs at dinner for the wine. Rather than have a baked potato, I have my wine. Or I skip the bun on my burger. Stuff like that. And that is really the only "sugar" in my day, so it's not too bad. Same for when I want to have a beer. Good luck!
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I love white wine, mmm, chardonnay! I say, everything in moderation. I've come to realize I can't always give up the foods I love to eat, but I just need to be more aware of my portion and calorie counts.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm going to test this out because I love a glass or two of Pinot Grigio. Not everyday, but as sort of a special treat on a Friday or, I can have it as a special treat on any day of the week and sometimes more. I just don't do drunk and abuse it or my body. Like I said, I am going to have one or two tonight or tomorrow night(I like one before dinner and one during, 5 oz each) Yep, I measure it, LOL! I suspect it is more that staying under my calories(duh)and I like what I just read that one gal mentioned her doc saying. It made good sense to me. She said that when having wine, don't eat a normal carb like potato or rice. I am guessing more protein with dinner too. When I work out tomorrow or the day after I have wine, I am going to see how I "feel". Do I feel as strong as I usually do and energy? If I feel bad in any way after only 10 oz of wine, I am not going to have it. I go months at a time even years without drinking any wine. But lately, I was introduced to Pinot Grigio and I liked it a lot. I just felt relaxed, no headache and no acting goofy. But as I mentioned, I don't drink more than 2. I get a buz don't misunderstand but it isn't any more than a little more talkative and relaxed;)

denise
    PS feedback welcome as I like to learn all I can from those that know more about the wine thing;)
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I drink wine at least 3 days a week. I still lose weight.

I love wine, and refuse to give it up. I end up going through probably a bottle a week.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs in 1 year and still drank wine probably 2-3 days a week. Sometimes even 2 glasses at a time. I didn't even count it into my calorie goal because its not technically "food" and I was only eating 1200 calories, so I needed all the food nutrients I could get. STILL lost the weight.

EDIT: I almost forgot, my FAVORITE wine to this day is sutter home white zinfandel. Give me some of that and some dark chocolate and I'm set.
  • lciupa
    lciupa Posts: 48
    Options
    I love wine, although I am more of a pink(blush)wine fan myself. I have found I can still drink it, just make sure to measure it out. Its amazing how much my wine glass holds...which is well over the "serving size" of 5 ounces. I like my wine super cold so I tend to throw and ice cube or two in it, also makes it look like there is more in the glass. I try to drink lots of water through the day, and extra if I know I will be having wine at night. I do find I tend to eat more junk when drinking if Im not careful.
    Hey- this is a journey not a diet...and quite frankly the thought of no wine just to be thin...I would rather be plump!
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    White Sauvignon for me! White wine and summer go together!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    When it's warm enough to drink white wine I usually put an ice cube or two in it so that slows me down a bit. In Australia, Lindeman's have a range of wines called 'Early Harvest' which has lower alcohol levels - as almost all the calories in wine come from the alcohol itself, this makes it easier to fit in.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Un giorno senza vino è come un giorno senza sole!

This is the philosophy of my italian family. It translates to " A day without wine is like a day without sunshine". I enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner almost every night. White wine is great if it's paired with the appropriate food. Red is great too!
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    WELL I just have some vodka LOL. I heard skinny girl wine is good. i am going to look for some. Also, sugar free sweet tea vodka
  • caitychu
    caitychu Posts: 39
    Options
    White wine is pretty much all I drink for alcohol. : )
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I like white wine, my favorite is moscato. I don't drink it every day. maybe 5oz, times a week. I just budget it into my day.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary and you'll see I have a glass of chardonnay almost every night. I work it into my calories for the day. Sometimes I'll trade my wine for a dessert, but not often. Ha!
  • Magdalene2011
    Magdalene2011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love wine, it's true, but these days if I'm going to drink I normally have a couple of vodka cocktails. At 60-some calories/oz it works great with club soda and a lime for me. That said, check this article out and enjoy your wine!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/women-drinkers-gain-less-weight/

:drinker:
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I love white wine!!!
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just had a date night at home last night and we had some wine.

I don't care what people say about alcohol and weight loss, I enjoy those fun bubbly times with my husband way too much to give up alcohol.

Obviously don't drink 3 bottles at once, but have some one. Who cares? Try to pair it with a lighter meal. Some tilapia and veggies would be perfect.

We had Moscato D'Asti last night, and it was lovely. And I never thought. "UGH, wish I didn't drink that" lol.
  • tarapickett
    tarapickett Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do indeed like white wine. I usually just have it if my calories permit it. It hasn't hindered my weight loss yet and its been delicious! ;-)
  • KELSLEY123
    KELSLEY123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello, yes, I love wine and am still losing weight. I am setting my daily goals based on grams of macro nutrients. (Carbs, Fat, Protein); I have a daily goal for the week (e.g. Carbs=145, Fat=35, Protein=95) The great thing about this website is I can set up what I am going to eat for the day and it will tell me the the total grams of carbs, fat and protein for the day. So, I include the wine in my diet. :) So the person who said swap out a carb, is rather correct because wine is carbs (unfortunately, kind of a lot of empty calories, tho. :()

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how the set the targets of the macronutrients. The targets are being set for me and they vary by individual based on weight, activity level, body composition, goals, etc.

GOOD LUCK AND CHEERS!
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love most kinds of wine :) I enjoy a glass or two a week!!
  • jennipea382
    jennipea382 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I LOVE wine! I don't drink it that often but I tend to go for sweeter wines, even if they're reds. My favorite whites are moscato and reisling mostly! Some of the best wine I've had though are the ones from local wineries that don't use grapes. We recently had a black currant wine that was SO good. It was like a red, but slightly sweet. Not as sweet as a sweet red though. I don't think I could give up wine just to lose weight.. and hey, a glass of wine is way better than some of the SUPER sugary and calorie filled drinks out there!