A size 6 is plus size...wtf.

Replies

• shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Understandable. This is model world we're talking about. In the real world 6 is not plus sized.
    This how it is imo, 0,2,4 is small, 6,8,10 is average & 12+ is plus sized. But that' just how I see it. And I KNOW some ppl look great and be in 12+ cuz they have a big frame. Big frame kinda is plus sized tho. Small frame is well small.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    UK or US?
  • j2tyco
    j2tyco Posts: 42
    I don't get the point of the fashion world...if the clothing is supposed to be the focal point..is it ONLY about the run way then? I think I would eventually want to SELL some of my designs and that would mean making them wearable by women in the public not "clothes hangers" I mean models.

I am not hung up on any size numbers since they vary by store and brand so much ---and realized what a farce they were when lane bryant and fashion bug altered all of their jeans sizes to some ridiculous "single digit color coding" system...meaning my big ole 22 petites are now a lovely size "5 Blue" its utter ridiculousness. I just want to be able to shop at places like Old Navy and Khols in the regular ladies department and not the plus sized womens (aka you look 50 years old) department and I dont really care what the number on the clothing is...stories like this yahoo one reinforce my attitude
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    It's understandable.. I mean a models job after all, is to literally be a walking stick.. and you think that a small size would go along with that.

When I was first starting this journey, I was a size 10.. and I felt plus sized, even though a 10 isn't considered plus sized. That's because I was always between a 6-8.. never bigger or smaller. So I felt like a whale, even though I wasn't.

Here is the link if anyone wants to see it: http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/did-size-6-become-plus-size-122500787.html
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Non-plus-sized models are several sizes smaller than the average non-plus-sized woman. Obviously a plus-sized model would also be several sizes smaller than an average plus-sized woman. This is pretty basic stuff and frankly it has nothing to do with you if you aren't a model. Why would you get offended by this?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    I was watching Hell's Kitchen last night and they had an episode with models strutting down a runway while the cooks tried to make dinner for everyone at the fashion party - all the models looked like sticks. Was not very appealing. No curves. Not a look I would strive for.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Yeah, that's plus size for a fashion model, not the real world. I'm not surprized or offended in any way. They're models.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    I stumbled across and article on Yahoo! that said that in the model world a size 6 is "plus sized." What do you all think?

I weigh 107lbs at 5'3" and I'm a 6. Guess I'm plus size.:noway:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Well then I'm hoping to get that fat someday ;)!

this
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    I think it makes sense since a plus size model is a size 10. Vanity sizing adds 2 sizes to pretty much everything. I usually wear a size 2 but I have measurements for what used to be a size 6. I remember way back dress sizes went by the last digit of your waist size. So a 26" waist puts me at a size 6 but when I buy clothes now that isn't the case.
  • CruellaClo
    CruellaClo Posts: 48 Member
    BWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

RIDICULOUS.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    i think its rediculus some peoples bone structures wont let them get smaller than that
  • victoria4321
    Yeah, that's plus size for a fashion model, not the real world. I'm not surprised or offended in any way. They're models.

Models wear real clothes btw. You do realize that those clothes go for sale eventually right? If you check a website like shopbop.com and also piperlime I think they list the models measurements and current size that they are wearing.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    One word: context.

This
  • Shinemaria
    Shinemaria Posts: 107 Member
    In the modeling world, that's true because "sample size" is a size 2 SOMETIMES a 4. But usually a 2. It isn't the same as "plus sized" in normal people world. Plus sizes in department stores don't begin until about a size 16-18 I believe.

Nobody thinks a size 6 is plus sized in real life. It's only referred to that in fashion because it is larger than sample size. Designers use these thin models to show the garment, as if they were human hangers. Many designers are beginning to refuse to hire models who do not appear to be healthy, which I think is a step in the right direction, but I think the terminology ("plus" sized for anything larger than sample size) needs to be revised.

So true - I saw this same statement and my FAVE (actually double-digit sized) model, Heather Hazzan, replied to it in much the same way - it's a label used by a very strangely disconnected group of people, who unfortunately happen to have control over much of the fashion market and its dialogue....well, for now they do. The tables are turning, albeit very very slowly. Until then, I'll just know that I'm "plus size" with an amazing variety of other women!
  • victoria4321
    i think its rediculus some peoples bone structures wont let them get smaller than that

Then they should look into another career :smile:

Just like math isn't for everyone, neither is modeling. Or just or about every other career for that matter.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    I stumbled across and article on Yahoo! that said that in the model world a size 6 is "plus sized." What do you all think?

THIS is why we have eating disorders! Nooo size 6 is quite small.
  • RainxPain
    RainxPain Posts: 152
    This is for models. They can range anywhere from 00-4.
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    If a size 6 can be deemed plus size in the model world, then I'll be on cloud 9 and a size 8 or 10 to be normal in the real world.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    A fashion size six is a size ten sold in stores. Just so you know. If that helps at all.

I go to fashion school, so I figured I would chime in.