Embarrassed to exercise

Options
Is anyone else embarrassed to actually start going to the gym/running in public? I am happy swimming but at the moment I'm somewhere without a pool nearby, so that's not an option. I don't feel comfortable with exercising in public but I'm not sure what to do otherwise.
Also, swimming/joining a gym = spending money, which, as a student, I definitely don't have much of to spare!!
Are other people in the same situation? Or does anyone have any tips for me?
Thanks!

Replies

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You could try a good brisk walk for an hour a day. then when you've lost some weight and feeling more confident you could join a gym. Also home DVD's are much more effective than gyms anyway (unless you know what you are doing) try 30DS works wonders! all in the privacy of your own home!
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought about perhaps buying an exercise DVD? A one off cost and then you could get a head start at home and get a bit more confidence. Good luck :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Just do it!

When I started running, I really though I looked stupid - but did it anyway.
    It didn't take me long to realise that most people who are out on the streets in the morning are exercising too, or are on their way somewhere. And they are usually quite self absorbed and don't really care what anyone else is doing!

Now I'll usually smile and nod and say good morning when I pass someone, especially another runner. And if they are looking thin and cool and like it's easy, I'll just wish I could do that too. If they are looking red faced and sweaty and overweight, I think "hey, me too, aren't we the smart ones to be out here doing something about it!"

Don't let other people put you off doing something that is good for you.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    How about DVDs at home? I use them as well as my Xbox kinect to get workouts.
    Or how about going for a brisk walk and when you start feeling more confidence you can start gaining speed into a run. :-)
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Do you have a wii or Xbox with a kinect? They make a lot of fun fitness games, which helped me a lot! I recommend starting with wii fit plus, because they have a lot of gentle exercise options that the beginning exercise will be able to master.
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am in the same boat. I was going to use the gym at work but the thought of bouncing and jiggling next to co-workers was *not* appealing. For now I just take walks....short 15-20 minute ones. At work, I can't afford to sweat too much. *blush*
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    For going out at running, if you're afraid of people looking at you while you run, then you could try going really early when you don't think anyone will be around, or really late when you think most people are asleep. For the gym, you could ask the people who work there around what times of the day and or week the gym has the least amount of people there. If you don't think any of that will work for you, you could get fit at home for a while untill you feel more comfortable with getting fit with other people.
  • cjhart81
    cjhart81 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I was nervous to start jogging, especially as i knew I wouldnt last more than a few seconds! BUT I just went when it got dark, just around the block and before i knew it, I could run for a few minutes, then a few more! then I started going at weekends and if I saw anyone, I would use that as a goal to push myself to keep running until I got past them, even if i thought my legs were going to fall off.. :D and how you have to think of it is that yes you may be all hot and sweaty and red but the people you see are not caring about that, its THEM who are feeling bad because they are thinking 'that should be meee' - think of that..

but yeah I cant face the gym.. now that is scary :D
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Do not feel embarrassed to go to a gym! Remember, everyone there shares the same goal! I love my gym and, honestly, when I see someone heavier working out, in my head, I'm thinking, "you go, girl!" And am proud of a complete stranger! It's motivation for me to keep going, because if they have the motivation, then why shouldn't I? Some people amaze me because they have much more stamina than I do! I'm not sure if you think people will judge you, but trust me, it's all about YOU! One of my instructor said, if it's not jiggling, it's not gonna go anywhere! Lol! Another said, it's not sweat, it's the fat melting! Idk what to say to make you understand that no one at the gym judges, if they thought they were perfect, THEY WOULDN'T BE THERE EITHER!
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You can do all that at home. I have a running trampoline its great for running. I actually have everything at home. I just gave up my gym membership b/c im tired of the crap you deal with at the gym when youre bigger female. So i have everything at home and I enjoy my workouts now.
  • samanthabeever1610
    samanthabeever1610 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    me too!!! but i do it anyway!! if it wasn't for my sister i wouldn't go out for run at all i would have never entertained the idea but with her support i can put up with the stares and the comments and now 4 weeks into new jogging route we don't get the stares we get good mornings and keep going girls it really does boost ur confidence and the rush u get when u have completed or beaten your time is amazing :) just go for it xx
  • andrea1904
    andrea1904 Posts: 31
    Options
    That's exactly how I used to feel. But, then I think about it and think differently because at the end of the day I'm doing it for me to become healthier. Also, you should try looking for a YMCA near you. I think they are around the U.S. and carry lots of gyms. I only pay $14 a month because I'm a college student as well.
  • Stephie_J
    Stephie_J Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am the same, so I exercise in the comfort of my own home! I also do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD as someone else suggested and have had some great results :)
  • britteaux907
    Options
    I feel the same exact way. I feel like even though I am going to the gym to work out and get in shape and be healthy I will have eyes watching me. I hate that feeling. One way I have started to exercise though is I bought a wii for my house and I do a dance game. It helps alot.
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I'm attempting to lose weight by using my Xbox Kinect, fitness dvds, exercise bike and waking - all without going to the gym. As soon I get below 200lbs I'm going to treat myself to a gym membership :)
  • LadyAmy20
    LadyAmy20 Posts: 137
    Options
    Wow, I wasn't expecting this much of a response! Thank you everyone for replying so quickly! :)
    exercise DVDs are a great idea - I think I'll invest in one. I do like walking, and I also cycle but my bike is at uni at the moment and I'm at home. But walking is a good idea because my hometown is VERY hilly, so it'll be good exercise haha!
    Unfortunately I don't have a Wii or Xbox Kinect :( Or even a TV of my own.
    Running when late is an option too actually. I'm most self conscious about my boobs - they're too big for running really, and the sports bra I've got doesn't really do the job properly! I can't afford a gym membership at the moment but I'm also jobhunting so hopefully that'll change soon.
    Ha @cjhart81, that is so true, I always think that should be me when I see joggers!!
    " Idk what to say to make you understand that no one at the gym judges, if they thought they were perfect, THEY WOULDN'T BE THERE EITHER!" That is a VERY good point, I'll bear that in mind!
    @Leggykettle what's a running trampoline? Never heard of that before! I'd love to do trampolining again actually, I used to when I was younger.
    @SamanthaB that just proves that it's worth the effort once you get past the initial stage I guess. Well done :)
    Thank you everyone for all your comments so far, they're definitely giving me a lot to think about!
  • LadyAmy20
    LadyAmy20 Posts: 137
    Options
    That's exactly how I used to feel. But, then I think about it and think differently because at the end of the day I'm doing it for me to become healthier. Also, you should try looking for a YMCA near you. I think they are around the U.S. and carry lots of gyms. I only pay $14 a month because I'm a college student as well.
    Unfortunately I'm in the UK - but I know my uni gym isn't too expensive for the students, so if I get fit enough over the summer that I feel comfortable joining a gym I'll probably do that.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I started with dvds then just joined the gym. I don't go on the treadmill because I don't want to jiggle everywhere (also have a knee injury) so bike and cross trainer is where I live. I don't care what people think.I work hard, sweat buckets. At the end of the day people are there for the same reason!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I used to be. I was worried what others thought of seeing a 400+ lbs man out there exercising. I only worked out late at night, went to the gym super early to avoid people seeing me. I am near sighted and I wear contacts most of the time. I remember when I was in my 400's, I was in a rush to get to the gym to avoid people. I popped in my contacts without washing my hands first. They burned my eyes soon as I got there. I took them out and had to do my routine super slow since I could not see at all. People started trickling in and I got nervous. I then laughed. I couldn't see them I felt stupid worrying all this time.

Since then I stopped caring what others think or say. My health is more important. I even been going to a Zumba class at my YMCA for a while now. 1 guy in a class of 20-30 women. I suck at it but I have fun and most important of all, it burns calories. Sure there's probably people pointing and laughing at me but I can't see or hear them over the sound of how awesome I am.
  • ScarlettIsSpiffing
    ScarlettIsSpiffing Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm with the home dvd's to start with & when you feel ready to tackle walking & yikes even jogging, do what I do, wear sunnies so you dont have to make eye contact with anyone at the park & just go for it....everyone is so busy with their own stuff they dont even notice you anyway ;)