How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Met in junior high...1994...
    First date = August 31, 2002
    Engaged = May 11, 2003
    Married = March 27, 2004

So, we met 7 years before we ever dated...we were together for less than 9 months before he proposed, engaged a little over 10 months before the wedding. I was 21 & he was 22 when we said I do. Of course, that was over 8 years ago now. We've had our rough times (any couple who says it's been bliss all the time is lying), but we're better people because of each other. I love him more today than the day we married. I'll also add that we never lived together or even spent the night together until we were married.

Of course, what worked for us might not work for another couple. This is just our "story" in a quick summary. :happy:
  • DeterminationWillWin
    Options
    With my first - 4 years before we got married and my marriage lasted almost 10 years but I knew before I got married that it was not going to be easy. With my second, we met and were married within 6 months and we are almost celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary. (Knock on wood - every day that we have a good relationship is a blessing. I have learned relationships can change and do not take a single good day for granted.) TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!! If something in the back of your mind is telling you something - pay attention.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    been with my SO a little over 7 years. no proposal yet. we started dating when we were 21, and moved in together after college, so lived together almost 6 years. he completes me - LOL, but i'm serious. he makes me happy every single minute of every single day. i have no doubt that he feels the same about me. we have an amazing life together.

my motto: if it aint broke, don't fix it!
  • tonia1986
    tonia1986 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We were best friends for 5 years but never and chemistry between us. Then we stopped talking for about two years and when we ran into eachother he asked me out, a month into our relationship he purposed. We have been married for three years and have a beautiful 2 year old daughter.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't put too much stock in marriage - it is a piece of paper given to you by the government approving your relationship. I don't need someone to approve my relationship and I've gotten used to the "why aren't you two married" comments. I'm not a religious person, so that doesn't come into play. Besides, there was always an expectation in my family that marriage = kids and my Sweetie and I decided early on that we would not be having children. So, as of July 1st we will have been together for 19 years and we're not engaged yet! Although we've talked about marriage recently simply so I can add him to my health insurance. My employer doesn't offer coverage to "domestic partners" and we're not getting any younger.

Actually, the purpose of marraige in the legal sense isn't so that the government can approve the relationship. It is actually more like a business partnership. The marraige contract protects you the same way a contract does in any other sense. I would never dream of going into a business and purchasing a building, hiring employees, taking out a line of credit and signing letters of guarantee with a business partner unless I knew that I had some legal protection in case my business partner/s decided to just walk out and leave me financially ruined.

I always wonder why couples are willing to move in together, purchase homes and cars, have children and pool their money into one checking account and then don't see the need to get married. At least with a marraige contract, while divorce is possible both parties have the protections a contract provides.
    Not very romantic, but you're absolutely right!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    We were together 9 and a half years before he proposed, had a year and a bit of engagement, and we've now been married 8 months. :heart: It feels like nothing has changed, but at the same time as though everything is different. Until you do it, you won't really understand that! :laugh:
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    We were together 5 years before we got married.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    though i'm not married and don't feel the need to be, i agree with the posters about the risks of pooling financial resources without a legal contract of marriage. my partner and i don't share finances, and we wouldn't make any big purchases without getting married first. not very romantic, but it's just good sense. that's alright for now though - we don't make much money and we don't have much. all the money we do make we spend on traveling! :)
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Ok so talked for 3 months, started officially dating only each other on Sept. 8, 2007 I was 19 and he was 26. I ended up needing a place to live 2 weeks later and ended up moving in with him "temporarily" which turned into us buying a house in March of 2009!! Lol!! Had a wonderful baby girl Sept of 2010, and the Saturday after Valentine's day he took me to buy a ring. Never asked me to marry him, just said here's your ring... So romantic right?? Lol!! I love him he just isn't good at the romantic stuff, but I haven't really started planning our wedding we just want to be married before our little girl starts kindergarten.
  • ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    Options
    met in July, started dating in Nov, and become offically engaged in April. Getting married this Oct!
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    together a little over a year - we have bben married for 41 years!
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    10 weeks!!!

married almost 3 years-
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    A year and a half

ditto
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    We met in March, started exclusive relationship in June, got engaged in December and got married in August. We were 22. That was 15 years and two beautiful little girls ago. When you know, you know. Life is good! :blushing:
  • KianteWench
    Options
    My fiancee and I were together for 5 years before he asked me to marry him. We got handfasted this March (after another year and a half) and will get married by law next March.

Amber
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Engaged after 3 months, married 2 months after that. Still married (almost 30 years).
    After the first date I told my friend I had met the man I was going to marry.
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    Kind of random and funny but he just sent me a text with an SRT8 jeep that said "After we get married we should get one of these together :))" So we're on the same page, but it is a matter of when... I need to be patient but these texts just seem like teasing!
  • nbdolen
    nbdolen Posts: 17
    Options
    Off and on for about 8 years! Yeah, i know. Took a while. lol
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    met in Sept 2010, started dating immediately, and engaged in April 2012. Wedding planned for October 2013.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    About 1 yr, but we were 22 and 23, we didn't meet as young as you guys. I like the suggestion of asking him. :smile: