How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• brentdaniels
    brentdaniels Posts: 127
    Options
    About 18 months, married 6 months after that. So all totaled been married 19 years and together for 21(not counting the year we dated in high school, but that is a whole other story).
  • Irishsailor123
    Options
    My husband and I were together for 6 years. We have now been married for 14 years and counting.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Met him in early 2005, engaged 2006, finally went to the courthouse, almost exactly 3 years after meeting, in 2008 and got married. Still waiting for the right time for a real ceremony though!
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    We got together in Jan 1999, moved in otgether oct of 99 we happily got pregrent in Oct 2001 an we had our wonderful son in July of 2002 and we bought our house in Sept 2005 and got married Jan 2007 and have been marrie dfo r5 years and together 12 years. And i would not do it any otherway. I love that man so much and we have a kick *kitten* relatiionship. Good luck and when its time it will happenn
  • k_sharp
    k_sharp Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    One month! We were deployed together (navy) on a aircraft carrier. We met because I cut my arm and he gave me stitches, two weeks later we were in port it Dubai and I ran into him in a bar. We started dating the next day and a month later we hit port in Australia and as we were walking around we decided to get married! We waited six months but only because we wanted to wait for him to transfer.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Started dating in 2002 in High School. Got engaged on our 6 year anniversary, married a month later (rushed due to deployment...) Been together since!
  • rescuehoney
    Options
    At 7 years I asked, "What are we doing?" This year we celebrate our 10yr wedding anniversary!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    So, how long were you with your SO before getting engaged?

Well, since I am divorced I will have to talk about my ex. If I remember correctly, we were together for about a year before he asked if I wanted to go look at rings...no down on the knee surprise with him. But we were engaged for 18 months....would have been 2 years except I got pregnant and we had to move the wedding up. :laugh:

My late fiancee and I were together about a year, as well, when we got engaged....but he died a few months later.

My current SO and I have no plans to marry. We call each other husband and wife anyway.....we may as well be, since we are except for the license. :happy:
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    At 7 years I asked, "What are we doing?" This year we celebrate our 10yr wedding anniversary!

I feel like that 7 year itch is what is hitting me ;) Congrats on 10 years!
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    2 years and 2 months :) I can't believe it's been so long!!! It feels so new and exciting still :p
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Before we met. It was an arranged marriage.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    We were together 4 1/2 years before we got engaged and 9 months later we got married. Still a "newlywed" since we've only been married less than 10 months. :smile:
  • KAT1892
    KAT1892 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We had been dating for about 4 years before we got engaged, and then married 2 years later at the age of 20. We've been married 5 years so far and no complaints. For me it just felt like a natural progression of the relationship. Best of luck to you two!
  • Buttonpie
    Buttonpie Posts: 7
    Options
    I have been married 6 years, My husband proposed after dating only 6 months, but we went to highschool together and knew eachother 7 years beore dating! Its different for everyone though- when you know, you know.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    We're in similar boats! I've known my boyfriend for going on 7 years, and we've been dating for about 4.5. We live together, have a dog, are graduating with our MAs next spring, and will be moving together to get our PhDs (if we get accepted, lol) next summer. We're married in every way except on paper. I'm impatient too, mainly because my previous boyfriend was also serious and we were planning on getting married (he bought the ring, but his father made him take it back as we were both seniors in high school, and I bought my wedding dress), so I've been ready to settle down for something like 7 or 8 years. My boyfriend is right, though, as we don't have the money for a wedding right now, let alone a ring; even though I'd be happy with something cheap and upgrade later, he refuses to go that route.

Patience is the key, my friend. If he's worth waiting for, just be patient.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    9 months or so. We didn't make 4 years of marriage. But then again we were 19 and 23.
    I've been 7 years with my partner and we aren't planning on getting married in the near future. Its just a choice we made. We have three marriages between the both of us, so yeah the whole marriage thing...isn't appealing.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    We got engaged about 4 years after we met. Got married 5 years after we met - to the day.
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    We met, and a week later started dating. We dated for 1yr, and he asked me to marry him. 6 months later I was pregnate, and we got married February 26th, and our son was born March 14th.
    We have been together 18yrs. Married for 17.

If you are ready for the next step I would make a dream date for him, and purpose to him. ;)
    Good luck!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend 6 1/2 years now, even though we are younger (about to be 22 and 23) I really feel like it's time to take next steps in our relationship. We're planning to buy a house within the next year and I'd really like to either be engaged or married by then. I find that everyday more of my friends are engaged or moving in with their boyfriend/girlfriends I just hate that we aren't at the next step yet. **Edited to include that this is merely an observation, not that I think we should be at the same point or compare our relationships to other people. I know that ours is much different than others and I respect that I just feel like it is time for us to be taking next steps.

So, how long were you with your SO before getting engaged?

Hubby and I have a unique situation...

We have been together for a little over 17 years now. Our oldest child is going to be 16.5 next month. He was born about 6 weeks BEFORE our one year dating anniversary. We officially moved in together just days before our son was born.

we had another child 4 years later...and when she was almost a year old we got married. There wasn't really a proposal or an engagement. he wanted a new truck and told me "we can drive it to the court house to get married...." the truck came home, we got married within the month. We had a tiny wedding with less than 12 guests, the ceremony performed by a family friend.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Just under 2yrs. We were young I was 17 he was 19 when we got engaged. 15 & 17 when we started dating.
    Been married for 6yrs this past June :smile:
    Been together for 10yrs this November.