How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    We were together 3.5 years before getting engaged, but by the time we get married, we will have been together 5 years.

As for the buying a house, I'd recommend really thinking about that one if you aren't married by then. Only because if something does happen and you split ways, it's much, much messier if you're both on the mortgage and not married; I've had friends in that situation and it was horrible for them. Just something to think about (and yes, I realize that wasn't your question, so I apologize if I overstepped on my answer!)

Best of luck to you!

You haven't overstepped. I appreciate the advice! :) I know it can get messy which is one of my reservations. We will see what happens!
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel, I am seeing all my friends and familly getting married or engaged or buying houses or having babies and sometimes it makes me very depressed.

But I tell myself that my boyfriend wants to make the demand perfect so he is waiting for the perfect time. But I will admit that everytime there is something special on our agenda, trip, visit, romantic dinner, I always have a little voice in my heart saying, tonight might be the night. Sometimes after a wonderful night of hoping we go home and nothing... I feel depressed and unwanted but I know it's me.

Tell yourself that when the time comes you will be extremely happy because you know he is the one (I'm a little girl that still believe in the one true love) and you were strong enough to wait for what you wanted!!!

When you see a friend getting engaged, think about what you have that she/he doesn't.

Hang on and it will happen!

My boyfriend and i haven't been together as long as you and yours have, but I know the feeling. There was a nice date to Red Lobster, countless romantic movies with cuddles. Oh well. Like you say, it'll happen one day. :)
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We have discussed it and he knows what I want. He also knows that I want to be engaged at least before we move in together. He doesn't have a problem with marriage or engagement either (at least he says he doesn't), so I don't know what the issue is. We talk about it a lot actually. :/

Maybe there's a reason he wants the house first? Maybe you'll walk in and see a little velvet box on the bed you share?
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    We were together 5 years and we had a house before we got engaged!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    We dated about 2 years before we got engaged, then got married like 6 months later...I'm 22 and have been married almost 3 years (November 1st)
    Every time I tell people that I'm married, their first reaction is 1. their priceless face and 2. How old are you?
    then when they hear almost 3 years they freak out.

hey, when you know, you know and we knew so we just did it!

I didn't read the whole thing or other posts but hopefully you've talked about it at least....let him know it's on your mind. My hubby and I talked a lot about it before he actually did it which takes the pressure off of him and you because you both know where you stand and when he asks he's not as nervous you'll say know and it won't be a complete shock to you if you didn't want it

edit - I guess I should point out that I wasn't pregnant either...and still no kids, waiting until I graduate college and get a job in the field. that's another reaction I get "oh, you must've been pregnant" haha nope, just love each other and knew we'd spend the rest of our lives together :)
  • sglato
    sglato Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband dated for a year, but after 6 months together, we knew we wanted to spend the rest of our life as a couple. I was 21 and he was 25. It will be 10 years in Dec that we will be married. We have two children 6 and 3 and I would not change anything.We are happy.

Everyone is different. Sometimes you know right off hand, sometimes it takes a while, but when you know, you know. Do what you feel in your heart.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    5 1/2 years. I gave him until I finished grad school to propose...he delivered 2 months early :) We got married 8 months later.
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    4months, moved in together after 2months, now been married almost 11yrs. Everyone is different - do what is right for you.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    8 years!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    6 years...had a house and two kitties. I was 23 and he was 24. Year 7 he started sleeping with an 18 year old. Trust me....WAIT! you are both still too young to make this sort of commitment!
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    About 6 months with my soon-to-be ex-husband :huh:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    We dated for 8ish months before we got engaged. Our engagement lasted 7ish months. We bought and moved into our house 6 weeks before the wedding. We were both 28 when we got married.
  • ArmyVet92
    ArmyVet92 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was 19, and he was 24 when we met.. we got engaged 2 months later.. got married 1 month after that. About to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary in August. =)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    About 2 1/2 months. We were friends for 3 years before that though. When we got married, we had only been together for 11 months.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    About 6.5 years when we decided to go for it - two weeks later, we were married (neither of us wanted a wedding, we just wanted the legal ability to take care of each other in the event of an emergency, and there had been an object lesson driving home that very point not long before).
  • Zvyezda
    Zvyezda Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just over a year and we've been married 2.5 years now. We still wouldn't be married now but immigration restrictions meant tying the knot prematurely or ending our relationship, so I'm very happy we took that step!
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Six months, and not an ounce of regret. Most amazing and natural choice I have ever made.

ETA: We got married a month after we got engaged ;). I also moved in after about three dates. It's just how we work, and boyyy does it work.
  • wolfehound22
    wolfehound22 Posts: 887
    Options
    Got together when she was 18 and I was 20, moved in togther 6 months later, engaged 6 months after that (so 1 year in), married a little less than 2 years later. Been married for 7 years this Nov, and never been happier.
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Five years but still are not married, have been together for 10 years. My philosophy why try to fix what is not broken. But I do understand I just wanted the ring on my finger.... and now that I have lost weight it does not fit LOL .... he still does!
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    We met in November 2005 and were married September 2006. I knew he was the man for me! :)