Paula Dean's weightloss

Options
NVgal
NVgal Posts: 33 Member
I am so happy for PD losing 30 pounds. She says she has gone for a size 18 to a 10. I have also lost 30 pounds, and was at a size 18 as well, but I am still in that size range. I was wearing 1x-2x tops and am now in XL . I was in size 18W pants and can now wear my regular 18 misses or 16W's. Maybe it's my height at 5'2"? I have no clue how tall PD is. Thoughts?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I would guess she is about 5'4" (I met her once and she is shorter than me and I am 5'7")

I lost 30 pounds and went from a size 12/14 to an 8 but if I have learned anything, it is that you can't compare your size/weight to others. I have done the same with other people my height and we are still all over the place, e.g. I am 145 and size 8, while another 5'7" woman will be 145 and size 4. We all distribute weight differently.
  • NVgal
    Options
    Yeah I am sure that must be it, but it boggles my mind sometimes!! LOL!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think it matters a lot what brands you wear, and what styles and how tight or loose you like your clothes. More expensive brands have more 'vanity sizing'. So a 10 in her closet might be a 16 in someone else's. She might pour herself into Spanx daily, which might help get into 10s, too.
  • lmkessinger
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that she went from an 18 to a 10 with only losing 30 lbs. At one point i went from a 22 to a 12 and it took lots of exercise and 75 lbs! I'm 5' 8"
  • Carlitax517
    Carlitax517 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well good for her! At least she wasn't in denial that she had to shed a few lbs for her health's sake :) I can only imagine how had it was for her to give up that delicious fried cooking and get back to healthy basics.
  • NVgal
    Options
    I was just going thorough some of my clothes yesterday and it's amazing that even with one size, say an 18, that there are degrees with in. Like I have smallish 18's and others that hang on me!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Good for her but does anyone know if she's still smoking? That would kill anybody's progress.
  • pbear71252
    Options
    I saw a picture of her and she is looking fab! Way to go Paula! :) She is quite a bit shorter so smaller sizes will come to her easier. Just remember that in her type of lifestyle it is much easier to get a trainer, eat right, and hit the gym everyday. For us regular Joes its a lot tougher so where you even lose a single pounds its worth it!

Exciting for Paula, I miss her cooking (as bad as it ever was) she was so entertaning to watch!
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    the weight/size thing is completely variable, yeah

I lost about 10 pounds and went from an Old-Navy size 10/12 to a 6/8. And yet my upper body has stated pretty much the same!
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    Paula Deen n fried butter --I will never 4get that one!
    Good 4 her!
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm thrilled that she's lost the weight, but what I don't understand is why she waited until now to do it..she's known about her diabetes for THREE years.
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am only 5' and I have noticed I seem to go up or down a size with every 10 pounds. I carry my weight pretty much all over though so I am sure I lose and gain it the same way.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    She can say what she likes, I don't believe she got into a size 10 from a size 18 by losing 30 pounds. I've lost a grand total, here and off, of 50, and I went from an 24w to an 18w. And I lost 50 pounds!!! An 18 to a 10? That woman does not look like she's lost that much. She looks great, granted, but she's no size 10. :noway:
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    Mine and my old roommate's favorite Paula Deen quote...."A good green is a greasy green." Hehehe
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    According to E NEWS, she is 5'6"...
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, when you look at the quotes from interviews with her she cut her sugar intake WAY back, cut way back on carbs and has started exercising.

She's a Type 2 diabetic and while maybe not whole hog low carb, she's limiting them a lot and that's how she's succeeding.
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options
    Is she losin' weight the right way? Or resort to some sort of surgery? She strikes me as the type that would look for "shortcuts".
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think she's 5'5". I'm 5'4" and have gone from a 14/16 to an 8 with 45 lbs. lost. It sounds feasible to me. Especially given the variability in sizes and she probably picked her biggest tag size and her smallest to quote to the press.
  • aleshai
    aleshai Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I dunno... maybe if she were more of an apple shape with thinner legs, then the 30 pound weight loss would look a lot different on her than on me (I am pear shaped with heavy thighs/butt) so even if I lost 30 pounds, I wouldn't drop sizes too much (maybe from a 16 to a 12/14).

Oh and she's still smoking so who knows if she would gain once she quit.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    From abcnews.com

“For the first time since she was a high school cheerleader, Paula has started working out,” People magazine’s Lesley Messer told ABC News. “She says it’s really helping her feel better.”

Deen herself visited the ABC food show “The Chew” to show off her new figure and reveal her diet secrets. “It’s really about moderation,” she said on the show. “I’ve said it for so long but I really started to practice that.

“I double my salad, double my green beans and the carbs are like this,” she said, pointing to a small portion size. “I wasn’t about to change my life but I have made simple changes in my life.”

After she went public with her diabetes in January, Deen launched a new campaign, “Diabetes in a New Light,” a partnership with Novo Nordisk. Deen reportedly takes the company’s drug Victoza to help her maintain proper blood-sugar levels.

Deen, who says she has gone from a size 18 to a size 10, told People the key to her weight-loss success has been dropping white foods like potatoes from her diet, so long Southern mashed potatoes, and swapping out others, like using mustard instead of ketchup.

Now, instead of skipping breakfast altogether, Deen says she’ll enjoy a fruit smoothie. For dinner, instead of fried chicken or worse, baked chicken or fish and Greek salad instead of chips are on the table at the Deen household.

The woman famous for making Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies now enjoys sugar-free ice cream for dessert instead. “I do think differently now” about food,” Deen said. “I’m more aware.”

Sure sounds like a moderate to low carb diet to me. Now she just needs to start experimenting with natural cooking fats and almond and other alternative flours and we (us low carbers anyway) can enjoy her modified recipes, and she will to and still loose weight :smile: