how often do you eat?

Options
dotti1121
dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
This past week, I have been STARVING! I'm eating healthy and staying under my 1400 calorie goal, but I'm hungry every hour&a half! I've been doing MFP for months now, but literally just in the past 3 or 4 days I'm hungry ALL the time!

My breakfast this morning was a bowl of oatmeal, an apple, a big multigrain cracker and Laughing Cow cheese wedge. That was an hour and a half ago and I'm already hungry again!

I have to snack throughout the day because of this, but my snacks are healthy, I'm just hungry all the time! Again, just for the past 3 or 4 days....

Thoughts? It's not that TOM either, and yes, I'm drinking PLENTY of water...

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Maybe spread out the breakfast, eat the oatmeal and wait a couple hours to eat the apple and the wait again to eat the crackers and cheese. You may be ating too much at one time.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Have something high in protein for breakfast - yours is almost all carbs....
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My guess would be your metabolism is picking up the pace, my questions would be excercise level? And are you eating back your calories? Not knowing your HT/WT I wouldn't want to say you aren't eating enough or are eating too much.
    Personally I am at 2100 calories and eat 4-7 "meals" throughout the day. First one being at 530ish last one being between 6 and 9pm depending on how my day went.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting. I eat two meals between 12 noon and 6pm. Because I eat only twice a day, my meals are bigger and I'm not hungry in between.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    My daily net calorie goal is a minimum 1500 and I eat 5 times a day. If you are interested in what I eat, my diary is open to the public and pre-logged for the week.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I eat all the time. Breakfast, morning snack, lunch, post workout snack, pre-dinner snack, dinner, after dinner snack.

I NET 1450, but I work out everyday, so I actually eat like 2100-2300 calories per day. On rest days, I calorie spike, so I eat over NET and consume close to 2000 calories. Its working for me. I have dropped a lot of weight and I am never hungry. I have loads of energy and I feel the best I have in my entire life.
  • michaelispas
    michaelispas Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eat your 3 meals with 2 snacks in between. B-snack-L-snack-D and all 3 meals need to be a bit bigger than your snacks. How active are you?
  • Spence_
    Spence_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the office, it's every two hours usually. Trying to control it, cause it doesn't happen when I'm out of the office. Just boredom eating :/

I'm with you on the hunger thing though - I'm always hungry. Even if I eat shed loads of protein. I'm learning to ignore it, or dull it by drowning the hunger monster with water.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I eat every few hours, small items. An apple, a hard boiled egg, almonds, greek yogurt.

Also you may want to make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I feel like it, or have time for it. That could be twice a day, or 15. There are some days most of my calories come from snacks.

I agree with the previous posters that suggested that you spread out your breakfast and make sure you eat more protein.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Carbs, carbs, carbs, and something very small protein/fat...

My personal experience is the same thing. Eat a carb heavy load, <2 hours later starving. I'd advise a good protein and some healthy fats. That would be my solution anyway.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You have to get some more protein. Carbs always make me feel super hungry too. Try snacking on things high in protein and good fats like raw nuts. They keep you satisfied longer.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    hungry is no good!If you let yourself go hungry you will start eating crap!Genuine hunger is your body telling you it needs fuel at that time I would go with it,any chance you could be pregnant?just a thought I was always starving when I was!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Twice a day
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    when i feel like it.

and how hard are you working out? you may need to eat more.

your diary is private, so its hard to tell.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    With your diary locked, most answers will be pure speculation. The immediate response is that you are not eating enough. You state 1400 calories as your goal. Is this something you or a doctor set?
  • Des0528
    Des0528 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast around 8a.m., a mid-morning snack at around 10a.m. then lunch around 12 or 1, Then I try to eat a mid-afternoon snack at like 2 or 3 and finally dinner at 6. I stay full pretty much all day with all the water I drink with everything.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I do have nuts as a snack almost daily, but I try to limit that to once per day as they are high in calories/fat.

I got the 1400 calories from MFP, based on my activity level, how much to lose, etc.

I did start exercising more this week, so that's probably why I'm hungrier! Don't know why I didn't make that connection :grumble:

What are some high-protein snacks besides nuts?

I will up my calories to NET 1400 calories, or maybe even go a little higher since I'm exercising now.

Thanks again! :happy:
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Also, I usually don't come close to hitting my carb macros, but I am always over on protein, so I think that has a lot to do with not feeling hungry all the time.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I will up my calories to NET 1400 calories, or maybe even go a little higher since I'm exercising now.

Again, who set the 1400 calories?