Water makes me sick :-/

Options

Replies

• mommamindi
    mommamindi Posts: 273
    Options
    Do you have gastroparesis? Because I do, and water makes me nauseas as well. You might want to check with your doctor about that.

I will call her and set up an appointment. I have some digestive system issues (IBS, as well as a couple other issues) but when I brought it up at the beginning of this year she never mentioned it was a possibility. I will ask thanks!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    being fat makes me sick.

so i drink water.
  • Starqueg
    Starqueg Posts: 39
    Options
    My body is the same way about heat. I get miserable so quickly and cannot do real exercise unless I'm in the a/c during the summer. I've never passed out from it though. Last Sunday was terrible. Festival in the sun for an hour, I thought I was going to fall over on the bus home.

Chugging water makes me feel sick, especially on an empty stomach. I feel sloshy inside, and nauseous. If I drink it slowly, I'm fine. I use a straw, since I can't drink as quickly from a straw, but I also drink more than if it's just a cup or water bottle. My favorite water bottle is a camelback, with the bite straw. I also have a couple of cups from Target with screw on lids and straws.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    being fat makes me sick.

so i drink water.

Good for you?
  • BreanneMG
    BreanneMG Posts: 42
    Options
    The same thing happens to me, I usually only drink 1-2 glasses of water a day, I drink coffee and tea as well. Recently I have found I drink more water if I drink small amount throughout the day rather than forcing my self to drink a huge glass. Maybe find a smaller size cup that when full doesnt upset your stomach and drink one those about every hour.
    I also usually don't drink a lot of water when im working out because I will get really bad cramps, but since i started drinking smaller amounts more frequently I find myself drinking more when working out.

good luck.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    My body is the same way about heat. I get miserable so quickly and cannot do real exercise unless I'm in the a/c during the summer. I've never passed out from it though. Last Sunday was terrible. Festival in the sun for an hour, I thought I was going to fall over on the bus home.

Chugging water makes me feel sick, especially on an empty stomach. I feel sloshy inside, and nauseous. If I drink it slowly, I'm fine. I use a straw, since I can't drink as quickly from a straw, but I also drink more than if it's just a cup or water bottle. My favorite water bottle is a camelback, with the bite straw. I also have a couple of cups from Target with screw on lids and straws.

Sloshy! That is a great way to describe it. Thanks! Maybe I will try a straw.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    The same thing happens to me, I usually only drink 1-2 glasses of water a day, I drink coffee and tea as well. Recently I have found I drink more water if I drink small amount throughout the day rather than forcing my self to drink a huge glass. Maybe find a smaller size cup that when full doesnt upset your stomach and drink one those about every hour.
    I also usually don't drink a lot of water when im working out because I will get really bad cramps, but since i started drinking smaller amounts more frequently I find myself drinking more when working out.

good luck.

I am starting to think that might be the problem...too much too fast. They say slow and steady wins the race right? haha.
  • logeecayla_94
    Options
    You could always try eating ice..It wouldn't be a whole lot of water, but every bit counts! :)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Try adding something to it...I like to keep a cold pitcher of water in the fridge, and mix different things into it. My faves are lemon slices, berries, sometimes just a few mint leaves...it makes it much more appealing. Also, you could try drinking some green tea in place of some of the water- I love green tea, so I tend to drink more of it. I also find that it's easier to get my 8 cups/day of water in if I drink a glass before every meal. Drink up! :drinker:

Tea is a no go. No matter how much I try I cannot drink it, and I hate the taste. I thought "hey its good for me suck it up and drink it", nope didnt work. Thanks for that suggestion. I dont usually add anything to my water, just fill up a cup from my zero water pitcher and drink it down.

I'm going to say that you probably have not found the right tea or tisane for you. Most people when they are told to drink tea immediately think of black or green variations with maybe one or two herbal tisanes. See if you can find a tea shop near you--Something like Teavana, but for the sake of your pocket book, DO NOT buy from Teavana unless there are really no other options (hint: with the Internet, there are always other options). In any event, the reason I suggest going to a tea shop is because you can often try a few different teas to see if you can find one that you like. My current obsession is with a Strawberry Cardamom that I picked up from a local place here called the Tea Grotto. Try some Rooibos (Also called Red Tea or Honeybush), I have also had a Citrus-Ginger-Ginseng Tisane that was amazing.

On the side of adding things to your water, try lemon and cucumber slices--just make sure that you clean them VERY well before you cut them up, even if they are organic. A nice wash using water and vinegar work well or if you want to spend the $$, you can get a veggie/fruit wash from a lot of places. Just slice them thin, like 1/8-1/4" and toss them in the bottom of a pitcher, put Ice on top of that and then fill with your water.

Another thing that helped DW and I a ton was to get a Brita filter. These can be obtained as pitchers or as a larger boxy thing with a spigot (which is the one we have.) They improve the taste of our tap water a hundred fold and really help us to get our water in.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    Try adding something to it...I like to keep a cold pitcher of water in the fridge, and mix different things into it. My faves are lemon slices, berries, sometimes just a few mint leaves...it makes it much more appealing. Also, you could try drinking some green tea in place of some of the water- I love green tea, so I tend to drink more of it. I also find that it's easier to get my 8 cups/day of water in if I drink a glass before every meal. Drink up! :drinker:

Tea is a no go. No matter how much I try I cannot drink it, and I hate the taste. I thought "hey its good for me suck it up and drink it", nope didnt work. Thanks for that suggestion. I dont usually add anything to my water, just fill up a cup from my zero water pitcher and drink it down.

I'm going to say that you probably have not found the right tea or tisane for you. Most people when they are told to drink tea immediately think of black or green variations with maybe one or two herbal tisanes. See if you can find a tea shop near you--Something like Teavana, but for the sake of your pocket book, DO NOT buy from Teavana unless there are really no other options (hint: with the Internet, there are always other options). In any event, the reason I suggest going to a tea shop is because you can often try a few different teas to see if you can find one that you like. My current obsession is with a Strawberry Cardamom that I picked up from a local place here called the Tea Grotto. Try some Rooibos (Also called Red Tea or Honeybush), I have also had a Citrus-Ginger-Ginseng Tisane that was amazing.

On the side of adding things to your water, try lemon and cucumber slices--just make sure that you clean them VERY well before you cut them up, even if they are organic. A nice wash using water and vinegar work well or if you want to spend the $$, you can get a veggie/fruit wash from a lot of places. Just slice them thin, like 1/8-1/4" and toss them in the bottom of a pitcher, put Ice on top of that and then fill with your water.

Another thing that helped DW and I a ton was to get a Brita filter. These can be obtained as pitchers or as a larger boxy thing with a spigot (which is the one we have.) They improve the taste of our tap water a hundred fold and really help us to get our water in.

Hm is there like a tea variety pack I can get from somewhere? I may have to start searching! Thanks!! If I dont like it my husband will drink it. We do have a zero water filter, like a brita. I love that thing. And I have the brita water bottle :) Thanks for the suggestions!!
  • chocolateandvodka
    Options
    being fat makes me sick.

so i drink water.

Good for you?

the point is, you make sacrifices to reach your goals. it's up to you to decide what's more important. if you refuse to tolerate water, and additives aren't an option for whatever reason, that's your choice. unless you're an antique photo, water - in appropriate amounts and forms - will not hurt you.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    being fat makes me sick.

so i drink water.

Good for you?

the point is, you make sacrifices to reach your goals. it's up to you to decide what's more important. if you refuse to tolerate water, and additives aren't an option for whatever reason, that's your choice. unless you're an antique photo, water - in appropriate amounts and forms - will not hurt you.

I posted this for other ideas. I cannot just sit down for 5-10 minutes while my stomach settles after drinking water, and I would really prefer not to vomit everything I just drank and ate back up. I have 4 kids to take care of plus a disable husband. Being sick all day from water is not an option. I posted for suggestions and help, and I got that. There is no need for you to act holier than thou about your water intake. If you dont want to give suggestions and support people and you just want them to feel like crap for their body doing something yours doesnt then I really dont see what you're doing in the forums. Maybe I am wrong but they are supposed to be for support and suggestions.
  • spongekitty
    spongekitty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you're anything like me, these tricks might help:

You said the 8 oz goes down fine when you're thirsty, so, keep a water bottle close by all day long. You get thirsty more often than you think, and if you don't have the steric hinderance of getting up to get a drink to sate the thirst, you'll be able to take in a few sips of water. Then over the course of the day, you'll probably have finished at least the 20-some ounces in the bottle.

Something else I did was because I am habitual, I made it a habit. I had a sip of water every time I went to the bathroom because there was a sink and cup there. Now I can't pee without getting thirsty.
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    echoing what others said about trying flavor additives to water. I can't drink too much water in the morning, during or shortly after a workout without getting nausious.

Also, I do better drinking from a tumbler w/ a lid and straw like this one here:

http://www.disneystore.com/drinkware-kitchen-dinnerware-home-decor-disney-villains-large-tumbler-with-straw/mp/1307329/1000350/

Some options to consider...
  • kristirlk
    kristirlk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When Im forced to drink it....it does the same as it does to you. Have you thought about crystal light or the generic type?
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    One of my Facebook friends posted this tonight ...
    Make your own vitamin water. Add fruits instead of sugar for a natural sweetener for your H20. Cut the fruit into paper-thin slices or small chunks. Combine ingredients with water. Refrigerate 4-6 hours and serve over ice. So delicious and very refreshing!

She suggested citrus, watermelon rosemary, blackberry sage, raspberry lime, and pineapple mint.

I hope you find something that works. :)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Don't force it, just try sipping it on all day. I keep a cup of ice water with a straw next to me all day and drink drink drink! I re-fill as soon as it gets empty. I don't leave the house without it. Small sips and small goals and I bet you'll be drinking more water soon! If you want more flavor in it, add a few slices of lemon or cucumber, or a few drops of Mio or some Crystal light or something.

ETA: Also, maybe add some ginger root to your water, that might make it easier on your stomach and/or a mix a little Gatorade into your water (or the lighter G2 Gatorade, or the Gatorade powder). When I'm sick to my stomach I can drink Gatorade even when water doesn't go down easy.

Hehe, I actually started drinking a lot of water when I was a lab courier and was in the car driving around foe 10 hour shifts! If I forgot my water I was so sad, you ever notice how thirsty you suddenly are when you realize you don't have access to a drink lol!
    Thanks :-) I will try this. I find that if I have a bottle with me in the car with the sun beating down on me I drink way more. Maybe thats the key...sit in the car all day ;) lol
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Forget forcing yourself to drink water, as the amount of water you need to drink differs from person to person. So here is what I think, drink normal amounts and watch the colour of your pee, (I know I know) if it is dark yellow, then drink more, keep drinking till it is a pale straw colour, and that is the amount of water you should drink. So Drink to suit your body.
    If I drink only 2litres of water (that's 8 x8oz) I’m thirsty all the time, so I keep drinking until I'm not which is normally 3litres
    On my cycling days I’ve been known to drink 5 litres, but I do sweat more than the average fat bloke on a bike.
    You are an experiment of one, do everything to suit you, rather than follow the rules for ‘Joe Average’
  • chocolateandvodka
    Options
    being fat makes me sick.

so i drink water.

Good for you?

I posted this for other ideas. I cannot just sit down for 5-10 minutes while my stomach settles after drinking water, and I would really prefer not to vomit everything I just drank and ate back up. I have 4 kids to take care of plus a disable husband. Being sick all day from water is not an option. I posted for suggestions and help, and I got that. There is no need for you to act holier than thou about your water intake. If you dont want to give suggestions and support people and you just want them to feel like crap for their body doing something yours doesnt then I really dont see what you're doing in the forums. Maybe I am wrong but they are supposed to be for support and suggestions.

I constructively suggested two things.

a) additives. Try mio, crystal light, etc.

b) if you can, find a way to control it. if you can't, try to fix the can't.

and here's a third thing... how does your body handle sparkling water?
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I add a little squash or cordial and it makes it much nicer. A bottle with a sports cap is a good idea too, somehow drinking from that seems easier!! :happy: