Fifty Shades

Options

Replies

• mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've read through them once and I'm almost done the 2nd book again. It's definitely not what I am used to reading but I find them highly addicting! E.L. James is a clever writer. So many subtle little touches that make you giggle and gasp hehe :)

Maybe it's a gender thing but........a clever writer?

From the excerpts I have seen on line it looks like the ramblings from a hormonal 16 year olds diary. Just awful.

I'm with you. I started the first book and it reads like a 6th grader wrote it.. just terrible. I also knew I could not stand the main character from the beginning. I mean, I know it started as fan fiction, and the character was Bella, but when she decided to publish it, she could have given her at least a little personality. For the record, I couldn't stand Bella either.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    They were originally Twilight fan fiction, which kind of reflects on the poor writing in my opinion.

Some fan fiction is excellent. I have read some that are 100 times better than this. I just don't think she's very good.
  • uniquemoves
    uniquemoves Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just started reading this a couple of days ago.. love it so far!
  • PepperGirl1
    PepperGirl1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I could not get through the first one. The writing is horrible. It felt like I was reading the work of a high school student.

Completely Agree!!! I could not get throught the first book. Seriously, how many times can a character bite her lip...
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've read through them once and I'm almost done the 2nd book again. It's definitely not what I am used to reading but I find them highly addicting! E.L. James is a clever writer. So many subtle little touches that make you giggle and gasp hehe :)

From the excerpts I have seen on line it looks like the ramblings from a hormonal 16 year olds diary. Just awful.

My thoughts exactly.......
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I could not get through the first one. The writing is horrible. It felt like I was reading the work of a high school student.

Completely Agree!!! I could not get throught the first book. Seriously, how many times can a bite her lip...

Or feel that funny feeling down THERE :laugh:
  • YaBoiMUGS
    YaBoiMUGS Posts: 237
    Options
    My homegirl was reading this the other day. I had to snatch it to see what the hype was all about. These books are trash. I sext better than this crap. :laugh:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I want to read the next series, "50 threads of 50 shades of grey".
  • geminigrl622
    geminigrl622 Posts: 144
    Options
    I finished this book in a 1.5 days!! I'm waiting for book 2.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    [/quote]Maybe it's a gender thing but........a clever writer?

[/quote]

Thank you.

I was trying to quote another posted, but I fudged it up....Im dumb
  • macsgirl526
    Options
    I liked the story line and the romance. The sex was ok and honestly after awhile I was like "really? again?" What ever meds he was on they need to share. Plus with all that sex she should be very very sore and well....worn out...LOL.
  • realhousewife_windsor
    realhousewife_windsor Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the books so much that my pregnancy is a result of me reading the books. My fetus is a part of the 50 shades baby boom:smile:
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    my husband just bought me the first book, i wonder why? lol
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    Ugh, I tried to read the first book. Just awful. If I had to hear about how AnaBella SteeleSwan "flushed" one more time I was going to throw the book! Seriously, you could have a drinking game about it. That and the childish euphemisms that she uses for her private parts, "down there." How ****ing old are you, *kitten*??!!! Someone who is consenting to sex should not use that kind of immature terminology. Just sayin'.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly.......

Here here.... someone who describes the ear (yes EAR) as an 'outer auditory canal' does not make good literature.... seriously, people, if you want good smut, go onto any fanfiction website out there and read some of that! (Incidentally, that's where E.L.James got her break, writing Twilight fanfic, but there is SO MUCH BETTER out there!)
  • MiriamManc
    MiriamManc Posts: 22
    Options
    This book seems to be SOLD out
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the book yet. But a friend loaned another in a different series Outlander by Diane Gabaldron. Not only is it well written and based on history and folklore (which I love) it has some very naughty scenes. I have truly fallen in love with the main man and that has never happened to me:blushing:
    Once I'm done this series I might look into fifty shades of whatever.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I started the first book last week and I'm already onto the 3rd book. I agree, the writing isn't fantastic, but people need to realise the author hasn't written a proper novel before and I'm sure it takes experience to get better with writing.

They are easy to read, and I guess good for the inexperienced to read and get ideas. :)

I thought Jeffrey Archer's Kane & Abel (which was one of his earlier books) was by far one of the best novels I have read, and his writing is far superior.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I started the first book last week and I'm already onto the 3rd book. I agree, the writing isn't fantastic, but people need to realise the author hasn't written a proper novel before and I'm sure it takes experience to get better with writing.

They are easy to read, and I guess good for the inexperienced to read and get ideas. :)

I thought Jeffrey Archer's Kane & Abel (which was one of his earlier books) was by far one of the best novels I have read, and his writing is far superior.

So you practice in lesser publications. You don't publish an awful book. but the whole Twilight inspiration set the tone for awful books.
  • girlyathlete21
    girlyathlete21 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am almost done with the third book. Going to be sad once I finish. Also very much outside my reading norm, but it has been a pleasant change.
    dont be sad read the Bared to You series next ... a lot of similarities... i dont think they r as good but kept me busy....