STUPID SCALE!!! I'm getting soooo mad!

Options

Replies

• Netzie
    Netzie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Eat your goal calories and only count activities for cardio that are not normal daily activities.

I am sure if you did gardening before and you gained while doing it before joining MFP. I don't know why people count cleaning their homes either.
    I gained all those years I was cleaning and doing laundry. So I refuse to count that as benificial cardio. Shopping does not count either. I live in a 2 story home and have for nearly 40 years. I bought into my mothers home. My muscles are so use to going up that flight of stairs that I do not think the many trips i make a day make a real difference. But the walk every morning and the 3 walks I try to take on the beach during the week now those do make a difference.

Someone said to clean up your diet and I AM GOING TO TAKE THAT ADVICE TOO.
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Look, you said this week there was more junk than usual but going back to the week before and the week before and there is pizza, curly fries, and everything looks pre packaged.

300 calories of Pizza and 300 calories of Veg is going to treat your body (and the scale) completely differently. Stop relying on pre packaged processed food and cook from scratch more. Eat at least half a plate of veg with every meal and I guarantee you the scale will start to move.

You don't track salt and I think you'd be shocked if you saw how much you were taking in.

So I assume I should start tracking my salt now also?

I would add sodium and potassium to the tracked list. I try to get as much potassium as I do sodium at minimum and keep the sodium below 2000mg for the day......I shoot for 1700-1800.

When I first starting to keeping track of salt I was consuming more than 4-5 times the daily recommended amount.

Water retention is a killer on the scale. You've made a lot of progress.......it's just time to take it to the next level. You can do it!
  • Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I added salt & fiber to my tickers to track. How in the world are you supposed to be able to keep all 5 things under for every day while eating different foods each day? I never really thought about the salt causing water retention. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm trying to figure out what else to change as well...just not sure where to go from here.

Dont analyze those other columns too much, as they only play temporary roles in loss and gain. Just watch the calories.
    By that I mean: IF you happen to have a high sodium day.. Its not a big deal except for the next 24 to 48 hours. After that, you will wash out (pee) the excess and be fine. Now if you continue to abuse the salt/sodium then all you will do is not see that excess come off in the next 24 to 48 hours. But the occasional abuse of sodium only causes temporary fluctuation. Where as Abuse of calories actually turns into fat.

I wish I could rewind myself 40 days. I'd love to show the world that I could lose that 21 pounds on McDonalds food only, with propper excercise. Now it would not be as healthy, I will grant you that, but it could be done to show you its not WHAT you eat but rather how much.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Eat clean - like if you are eating anything with artifical perservatives, colors or sweetners get rid of it. I honestly think that is how I have been so successful.
    I will try this as well. I'm guessing those 'sugar free' drink mixers from Wal Mart aren't the best with their 'fake sugars' anyways. I was using them to try to get my water amount in for the day. Guess that would be another good change to make.
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    The answer is simple. You're putting on muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so your scale won't be dipping any lower but you are actually getting smaller. If the scale is frustrating you so much, put it away for a while. Start tracking your inches instead. You'll see you really are making progress.

OH GOOD LORD.... muscle does NOT weigh more than fat! Muscle is denser and takes up less space! SO, you can build muscle and get smaller... denser=less space! This is why she is getting smaller but the scale is not moving!
  • PHATmommy68
    Options
    How many calories are you burning a day? I find it helps to keep track of that as well.

It depends on what I'm doing that day, usually 300-400 on average. I sometimes eat those back, but not all the time.

Do not eat it back!!! More water will fill you up!
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I, too, am losing very slowly, and regardless of "averaging" at my calorie level (which I've changed a million times), most of the time I still have a bunch of food indiscretions that are just not doing me any good.

All of Jones137's advice is dead-on. Eat as clean as possible, watch the sodium (it's ALWAYS high when you get anything out...I've been tracking mine, and it goes through the roof with any restaurant/take out meals), watch the total calories, and you'll start seeing results. I do believe that it's not just the sodium, though. No matter what the calories, I always seem to gain on food I don't prepare...preservatives, etc...not sure why, exactly, but I always gain. That leads me to my own biggest problem. I allow myself extra calories on weekends. And when I do, it's usually eating out with my husband or friends (again, bringing in the sodium/chemicals).

It's unrealistic to expect that you'll never go over on calories, BUT don't do it often. It must be the exception rather than the rule. I still have to get that through my thick skull.

Good luck..I hope the scale starts moving for you.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Does it matter that the bottled wated I drink says it has salt added? In the 'nutrition' box, it says sodium 0mg. Yet in the ingredients list, it says adds a negligible amount of sodium.
  • PHATmommy68
    Options
    Look, you said this week there was more junk than usual but going back to the week before and the week before and there is pizza, curly fries, and everything looks pre packaged.

300 calories of Pizza and 300 calories of Veg is going to treat your body (and the scale) completely differently. Stop relying on pre packaged processed food and cook from scratch more. Eat at least half a plate of veg with every meal and I guarantee you the scale will start to move.

You don't track salt and I think you'd be shocked if you saw how much you were taking in.

I concur. I track my sodium and I am blown away how much sodium is in packaged turkey and i have it every day! I don't eat pizza, pasta, fries, etc. because I know its not healthy. The labels in the store deceive you as you think its healthy!
  • PHATmommy68
    Options
    The problem is you stay within your calories "for the most part". You need to stay within your calories always. No junk period the end. I am your height and I was bigger than you. I have 6 boys and my house is full of the junk teens and toddlers eat but that does not mean I have to eat that. If calories in is less than calories out you will lose weight. It is a harsh reality but reality it is.

WRONG!!!!!
  • PHATmommy68
    Options

Yes dear... take in sodium? Drink LOTS of water! Water flushes out water retention!

So I assume I should start tracking my salt now also?
  • PHATmommy68
    Options
    i'm just so frustrated. I want the scale lower and I guess I figured that by now it would be a lot lower than where it really is. I know the weight doesn't come on overnight, and it doesn't go away overnight. I guess I'm disappointed because I thought I would weigh less/be smaller by now.

It can be overnight... There are a ton of posts out here but if you happen to read this here is what will work.

You go back to 1250 calories. Start running for 30 minutes or more every night. Get to your "target heart rate" and hold it for a good 25 to 30 minutes. When you are done you should be sweating pretty good. It will probably hurt, it will take some digging into your soul to hang in there for the entire 30 minutes. Once you are done. DO NOT eat back the calories. Many people will tell you to, but that will get you nowhere. As long as you eat your 1250 base calories there will be no "Starvation mode BS" going on. You bank that calorie deficit and lose weight. IT WILL work.

I disagree with this advice, as it would have you eating below 1200 after you factor in the calories burnt from exercise. MFP already factors in your caloric deficit, and this is likely far below your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate, the calories your body needs just to function on a daily basis. You will lose weight doing this, but it is not healthy or maintainable, and, as any crash dieter will tell you, you are likely to regain the weight and more once you begin eating at proper levels again.

So many people do not fully understand weight loss and calorie deficit. But thats ok. This is not bad advice and it will work for people that have determination and will power.
    That being said, I looked back at this persons excercise and food logs and I see the problem. Its Honesty. They are not honest with their reports. 9 hours of straight gardening a few days back? Seriously? you earned thousands of calories on this bogus gardening report? come on. If you are gonna cheat, dont wonder why the scale is not showing progress.

Seriously?!?! UM HELL YES! I was outside for 9 1/2 hours doing yardwork. Digging holes, planting flowers, cutting my yard with a pushmower, moving pavers and bricks, so um YEAH...and I have sunburn to prove it. So yeah, 9 hours and IT IS HONEST. try again.

Get a HRM.. REALLY!!! They work~
  • sweetybird09
    sweetybird09 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi yes at times its frustrating, I have been on here since the end of March and lost about the same amount as you, its been slow, and with all the increased exercise, I would see the scale go up and down, I was also driving myself (and my husband crazy) weighing daily, so I hid the scale under the bed and just weigh about 1 time a week.
    I have heard for everything that you do that is new, diet exercise etc... u need to give your self time to adjust to that change.

We all lose at different rates, I could be upset that there are those that after 3 months have lost 25 + pounds, but then that is comparing yourself to others and that just does not work....I know that u have gotten as lot of advice, so read them, and do what works for you, eating healthier, exercising and eventually things will balance out!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    The definition of insanity is doing the same exact thing and expecting different results.

You have made it rather obvious that you are frustrated with how things are going for you....SO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. :)
    Do a diffferent exercise routine.
    Try zigzagging your calories.
    Do some research, read a book, think outside the box and figure out a plan that works for you.
  • cheneage
    cheneage Posts: 1
    Options
    First: You should congratulate yourself on the 15 lbs. that you've lost.
    Second: Cut yourself some slack, weight loss is and up and down battle. Maybe don't weigh yourself for a couple weeks, as other have suggested.
    Third: The exercise is important, but the food (notice I didn't say "diet") is even more important. As the saying goes, "You can't out exercise a bad eating plan."
    I agree with the people who suggested that you try to eliminate processed foods, but you're busy so maybe take baby steps. I would start tracking your sugars because I think you probably have a few too many per day. If you can replace some of your quick foods like a breakfast bar, for instance, with a chicken sausage (also 140 calories but much higher in protein) and add a piece of string cheese, you would be completely changing the composition of the foods you're eating without adding too many calories. Plus you'd feel fuller longer. The other baby step I would take is try to elimate carbs that come from white foods from at least one meal per day. Once you've done that consistently for a week or two, try to eliminate white carbs from two meals most days. White carbs are: sugar, cereal, bread, tortillas, pasta, buns, potatoes, rice, etc. The no-carb meal can consist of: Proteins such as meat, poultry, eggs, seafood, plus as many vegetables as you can fit. If you need a high carb "cheat day" No Problem. Just get back to the other way of eating the next day.
    Keep it up and you'll start to see changes on the scale.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I will add that there is some solid advice in this thread. However, I will caution to you, OP, to try and make these changes in small steps! If you try to do ALL the changes all at once, it might get overwhelming.

I'd aim for mini-goals. Such as, one week no fast food, drink 8 glasses of just water no sugar mixes, etc. Rather than a complete cut of everything all at once. You can continue the mini-goals to keep you motivated. :) Once you have a good handle on one habit, then add another!

I know that, for me at least, too many changes can be overwhelming and if I try to do them all at once and then slip up... I feel like I failed, which is no fun. Mini-goals help me meet all the things I want to do, but at a manageable pace/level. <3
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat ...

I think we need to change this to "muscle is more DENSE than fat."
  • kicker3333
    Options
    Ditch the scales and use a tape measure, as everyone has said muscle weighs more than fat so you won't lose the LBS. If your training with weights look at where the calories are coming from Protien/carbs you should def be taking in a fair amount f protien
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scales and use a tape measure, as everyone has said muscle weighs more than fat so you won't lose the LBS. If your training with weights look at where the calories are coming from Protien/carbs you should def be taking in a fair amount f protien

No, muscle doesn't weigh more than fat.
    A pound is a pound is a pound.
    Muscle is denser, smaller in size.

Google "a pound of muscle vs a pound of fat"

:)
  • SallyNitro
    SallyNitro Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The answer is simple. You're putting on muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so your scale won't be dipping any lower but you are actually getting smaller. If the scale is frustrating you so much, put it away for a while. Start tracking your inches instead. You'll see you really are making progress.

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat......fat takes up more space than muscle but they weight they same.

Your food diary is not too good......lots of Pizza, chips, ice cream, almost all processed food. It's what your eating that's causing your problem. Limit the bad stuff, add more fresh clean foods, stay within your calorie limit and you'll be cool.

I do stay within my calorie limits for the most part...and yeah, the last week has more junk than usual. :(

Muscle does weigh more but takes up less room (muscle is denser then fat), but 1 lb of fat burns 2 calories whereas 1 lb of muscle burns 50.