Ladies: PMS weight gain

Options

Replies

• mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah. I swelled up like a balloon this month. And it seems to get worse the older I get. In fact, I have been cramping so bad that I haven't been able to work out for a good part of the week, so when I got on the scale this morning, I was pleasantly surprised the water weight has fallen back off.
  • kaliso
    kaliso Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    During that time for me, I have to be really careful not to give into eating everything in sight...
  • hellokehtty
    Options
    Yep....4-5 pounds of water weight, and hungry as a monster, too.

The week after, I shed it all and have a very decreased appetite, so it balances out. I've learned to go with the flow (no pun intended).
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I concur weighing yourself during this time is a total waste of time. Just check when its over and you'll be pleased with the results.

Totally totally agree!
  • parisiantwyst
    Options
    I think I just hit this problem as well- I usually retain a lot more water when I'm on my period, and have a difficult time ESPECIALLY when its humid out exercising during that time. Don't worry about it too much- those extra pounds will disappear again before you know it!
  • AngieWood611
    AngieWood611 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have always fluctuated about 2 pounds around that time of the month. So as long as i have stayed within that i am happy. Anything more i worry and anything less i celebrate a lose! :D
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I gain 5-7 lbs. Of water weight. It's gone plus some last day of my period
    Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one with this high of an amount.
    Folks were scaring me with 2-3 pounds!

Nope, not the only one at all...I can hold some big time water weight on me, same about 5-7 lbs!
  • turbogirl4christ
    Options
    I usually go up 5 to 7 pounds but it always goes back down afterwards..
  • bailyc
    bailyc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I gain 7-9 that week. I know it's just water weight but it is still discouraging to see it on the scale. I put my scale away during my TOM now.
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    Yep, don't weight yourself during this time. You'll just make yourself crazy for no reason.
  • Brandi0418
    Brandi0418 Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same as everyone else ~ I get pretty frustrated as my weight gain tends to take two weeks to lose! UGH:sad:
  • jamm2000
    jamm2000 Posts: 79
    Options
    me too, usually 2 lbs. i gain it 1 week prior to TOM and then a few days later it's off. I also find for some strange reason that the day i get my period is my lightest day of the month? it's the exact same each month. so i try not to log that gain or loss and weigh myself a day or two later..

I thought it was so strange!! I am also at my lightest the day before. I think my bloat is right in the middle of my cycle.
  • teenamai
    teenamai Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Finally someone is brave enough to address these issues...I was too shy but I wanted to write about my chocolate cravings....Grrrr....I didnt even complete my food diary yesterday because I didnt want to see how many calories I had eaten....I had my husband pick up some chocolate chip cookies and I binged....Thankful that it hasnt seemed to effect my weight but I dont want to do it too frequently. So...what do you all do about your cravings???

I have the same question, what to do about the cravings?! I have a bottomless pit when my cycle comes around. Sugar, salt, anything. I've been strong and stayed with my regular calorie intake, just seem to be always hungry. Any advice?
  • mckellipgirl
    mckellipgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Finally someone is brave enough to address these issues...I was too shy but I wanted to write about my chocolate cravings....Grrrr....I didnt even complete my food diary yesterday because I didnt want to see how many calories I had eaten....I had my husband pick up some chocolate chip cookies and I binged....Thankful that it hasnt seemed to effect my weight but I dont want to do it too frequently. So...what do you all do about your cravings???

I have the same question, what to do about the cravings?! I have a bottomless pit when my cycle comes around. Sugar, salt, anything. I've been strong and stayed with my regular calorie intake, just seem to be always hungry. Any advice?

The only way I can stop my bottomless pit days is to give into what I'm craving. (But only a small portion) If I'm craving chocolate, I can eat healthy food all day and go way over board but if I have a small square of chocolate, my monster sleeps until the next day (or next cycle!)
  • arw4
    arw4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this! I try not to weigh myself but I can't help it. It's part of my morning routine and even if I make sure I have a calorie deficit I'm always afraid I'm going gain weight.

As for cravings, I normally give in, but I try to make them healthier. For example, if I'm craving salt I'll have nachos with lettuce and tomatos instead of something less healthy like chocolate covered pretzels.
  • remarkyllek
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! I have abnormal cycles and started MFP around the time my cycle started. I was craving sweets like a madman the other day and didn't give in. I hope I see some loss when it's over.
  • spongebex
    spongebex Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was craving sweets like a madman the other day and didn't give in. I hope I see some loss when it's over.

Well done for not giving in! I am going to think of you when my impending cravings hit xx
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    one kilo . It's gone within a week.
  • dinkydudette
    Options
    I go up anything between 7-14lbs.
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    I gain gain about 3kg. I start gaining about a week before I'm due and it disappears the week after. Only have two weeks of losing weight per cycle!