Yes I'm 260 does 1200 calorie diet work!!!

Options
Hi, I'm Rita. And as awsome as it is being a BBW, I just simply can't take it anymore. I'm sick and tired of my clothes not fitting. Or feeling uncomportable around certain people. I don't know of being plussize is normal. But I surely feel abmormal most of the time. I decided to try and lose weight the old fashion way. By starting an 1200 calorie diet. And some light exercise. I really need help with this you guys. So stay on me constantly. I really need your support. Oyea if you have and diet and excerise regement would like me to try hit me up.

June,30,2012
Weight:260

Replies

• korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I would look at what a normal day used to look like for you and maybe try starting off at 1500 - 1800 calories and dropping down to 1200 after you have lost a bit. Make good food choices and try to get active.
  • torisaurosrex
    Options
    1200 might be too low... I eat 1500 a day and still manage to lose weight but with pretty moderate exercise
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low for most people. Plug in your goal weight as your actual and see what the maintenance level is.
  • ilovejesusdou
    ilovejesusdou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am praying for you girl you can do this. Just don't give up food is only only good as long as it is in your mouth then we have to deal with the consequences.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    1200 doesn't sound like much to me.
    Some have lost on even more calories then that.
    I eat more but it has helped me a great deal.
    You can do it. Just count and stay on track.
    Not everyone is perfect so if you go a stray one day, get back on track the next.
  • angelicahinkle
    Options
    i am about 289 and have alot to lose. the website set a calorie amount of 1600 for me. it is working out great. I normally eat less and exercise many of them away. i highly recomend logging your exercise and your meals and staying on here. everyone is so supportive
  • scloud2277
    Options
    I put in all my food info and it add up flto be a little over 1,400 cals. Whewwww I was nervouse at forts because 1200 seems like nothing.
  • Orchdork13093
    Options
    I found that starving myself was leaving me fatigued and I started reading up on the Eat More 2 Weigh Less program. You should look at it. Yes, you get to eat more; however, it not eat more of whatever you want. Plus you should exercise regularly and start lifting weights. Dieting this way won't end up destroying your metabolism. Another piece of advice, don't eat below your BMR.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Hi, I'm Rita. And as awsome as it is being a BBW, I just simply can't take it anymore. I'm sick and tired of my clothes not fitting. Or feeling uncomportable around certain people. I don't know of being plussize is normal. But I surely feel abmormal most of the time. I decided to try and lose weight the old fashion way. By starting an 1200 calorie diet. And some light exercise. I really need help with this you guys. So stay on me constantly. I really need your support. Oyea if you have and diet and excerise regement would like me to try hit me up.

June,30,2012
    Weight:260

Best of wishes as you enter this exciting phase of your life. Making the decision to get healthy and committing to it is the hardest part so congratulations on part 1. My fear for you is that instantly moving to 1,200 calories a day might be a struggle as it's more than likely a great departure from what you're used to eating. To give a little perspective, a Big Mac, small fry and a medium coke at McDonald's is just under 1,000 calories. Now not saying that's you and frankly I love McDonald's from time to time but the point is you need to build out small goals for yourself so that you gradually work into your healthy lifestyle. It's probably the #1 reason most diets fail as they're not often not sustainable. And that's my fear for you if you simply start out at 1,200 calories. I would recommend you log a few days from the past into your MFP so that you can get a sense for just how much you've been consuming. Put all of your favorite staples foods in there that you tend to eat all the time and use that as your starting point. Then start by reducing that by 1000 calories a day (2lbs per week). Adjust from time to time as you start to lose weight.

Diet (Don't even call it that...call it Healthy Lifestyle):
    Conceptually eat whole foods as much as humanly possible. What's meant by that is foods that have the lowest possible number of ingredients. An orange has 1 ingredient, chicken has one ingredient, a box of fettuccine Alfredo pasta has many ingredients which are processed. The makers of P90X and other intense workout programs have a food substitution plan called Michi's Ladder. It's not a diet plan but rather a way to learn how to eat food that's very good for you. If you eat from the top two layers of the ladder you'll have near perfect nutrition. Up to you how to put them together for your meals but extremely flexible.

My suggestion would be to use a tool like that and perhaps start your 1st month with the 1st 3 layers of the ladder then eliminate the 3rd after month 2. Immediately eliminate foods in layers 4 and 5 at the start. Don't feel guilty if you fall off the ladder either it's ok. You're human but just don't make a habit. If you want a slice of pizza eat a slice of pizza but account for it as part of your weekly goal. Also don't be afraid of good fats such as olive oil, canola oil, sesame oil and coconut oil. Add great flavors to your meals. Good fats are good for you and they do not make you fat! Too many calories do! :smile:

http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/michis-ladder

Exercise:
    Like your diet I would suggest starting out small and set reasonable goals. There's a walking program that many overweight people start with called "10,000 Steps" a day. If you can afford it purchase a pedometer or a Heart Rate Monitor that can keep track of the number of steps you take a day. Most sedentary people only take 1,000 - 3,000 steps a day depending on what you do on a daily basis. So the concept of the program is to use your pedometer for a day or two to get your average number of steps. Then begin a walking program by adding 500 steps per day for a week. In week two add another 500. In week three add another 500. Continue doing so until you hit 10,000 steps per day.

With an average of 2.5 ft per stride you essentially walk 1.4 miles if you take 3,000 steps a day and 4.7 miles if you take 10,000 steps. From there you can start to add slowly jogging alternately with walking (for example, run 1/4 mile, walk a half mile, run 1/4 mile, walk back home). Increase as your cardio improves.

http://www.shapeup.org/shape/steps.php

Hopefully that helps a bit and again congrats on taking the 1st step. You can do it and lots of great support on this site to keep you motivated.

Start small, make reasonable goals and increase them as you move forward.
  • maureendarst
    Options
    od luck and hang in there
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I started at 295 and have lost 12 pounds so far. I am brand new so take my advice or don't. I keep my calories between 1200-1600. MFP tells me to eat 2060. I feel full on 1200-1600 so I stick with that. I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables. I like to eat a lot of food. I want to see my plate full. Makes me feel better. I can eat a ton of produce for a minimal amount of calories. I talked to my doctor about it and he said that as long as you feel full its fine to eat just 1200 but if you are hungry eat more. just don't go over your alloted calories for the day.
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, technically, a 1200 calorie diet "would work". But is that logical for YOUR specifics, probably not. Use the online tools to see how many calories per day you need to just "maintain" your current weight, and then know that reducing that number of calories per day will lead to lost pounds.

As you weigh less and less, you'll need to adjust by lowering the number of calories it takes to maintain those fewer pounds. In other words, as you weigh less, you will need to decrease your calorie consumption in order to continue loosing.

When you've accumulated a deficit of 3500 calories (through restricting calories or by burning off through exercise), you'll have lost a pound. It is really a matter of math.

Use the food logging here. Log every bite. It is very helpful in helping to identify your problem eating habits, especially early on.

Good luck!! It can work for you! :)
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    At 260, its taking ~1900 a day before exercise just to keep you moving and breathing.. You have room to move higher than 1200 and still lose weight. Remember that yor 'before' diet was probably 2300+ to maintain your current weight so even cutting down to 1900 would be a loss in the near future.

Plug in the numbers and see what it says, but 1500-1600 or so might be a safe starting point to see how you feel in a week or so.. If you are like me, if you go too low too fast your more likely to fail or revert back to old eating habits.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    it did/does for me. I was 238 when I started. I have been very true to my 1200 cals/day. I don't eat back my workout cals, but then again, I don't do tons of cardio any more. Only strength training and maybe 1-2 days a week of cardio.

I'd say, find your BMR and work from that. There are lots of calculators.

Also 1200 cals doesn't have to sound like a death sentence. If you put the right flavors and food combinations together, that's a LOT of food.

Good luck. Add me if you want ideas or help.
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I might say 1500-1600 is a good starting point. feel free to add me!
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    1200 is to low. try this group eat more to weigh less. you can calculate your correct calories onscoobysworkshop.com
  • Melaniemom4
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm starting at 282, down 4 pounds my first week and did not go that low with the calories. I figured 2 pounds per wk and that put me at 1450 calories. My pharmacist daughter scolded me about the 2 pound rate. Her reasoning being that this is not going to happen fast and I need to stay healthy. I did not want to slow down, so I asked 2 different dieticians, (I'm an RN so have access daily.) a secretary who always seems to be watching out for me, and then my pain doctor (I have fibromyalgia and spinal cord compression) and only one said 1-2 the others told me 1. Honestly I've decreased it to 1 1/2 pounds per week which puts me at 1600 calories per day. We have a long way to go to meet our goal so need to gaurd ourselves from becoming discouraged and quiting/watching our wt. return to 282 or more. I simply worked through the myfitnesspal profile and it gave me # of calories to strive for. I have so many bad habits to fix and would love it if we push each other!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Just sent u a msg and friend request.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at almost 300lbs and 1200 calories per day worked for me until I was able to become more active and I've consistently lost weight....then I moved it to around 1500....

Please feel free to add me....
  • sglato
    sglato Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started out eating 1600 a day. But my doctor and my husband both told me that was too much. I now eat 1200 a day for the past month, and I have lost 5lbs... give or take... if you want tou could always ask a professional to see how much you need. Please feel free to add me, and I will help in any way that I can. :wink: