someone, explain how eating more = weightloss? please

Options

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    then why are all the kids in Africa... the ones you see on "feed the children" ads... all are bone? their bodies have gone for how long with out food?

I know the body can survive at least 40 days without food, water much less... I doubt one day is going to make that big of a difference.

They are ACTUALLY starving. Their bodies have used their fat stores.... that's why they're all bone. That is a very very extreme example that cannot be applied here...
    Then give me a better example... please, cause they still prove my point that eating more does not = weight loss

Eating more than what ??

eating more than your maintenance, and yes you will gain, but eating between BMR and TDEE you will lose.

It's impossible not to.

If you don't, your estimated TDEE is wrong and your numbers need adjusting.
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    then why are all the kids in Africa... the ones you see on "feed the children" ads... all are bone? their bodies have gone for how long with out food?

I know the body can survive at least 40 days without food, water much less... I doubt one day is going to make that big of a difference.

They are ACTUALLY starving. Their bodies have used their fat stores.... that's why they're all bone. That is a very very extreme example that cannot be applied here...
    Then give me a better example... please, cause they still prove my point that eating more does not = weight loss

They have very little LBM as well.
    By eating more you are feeding the LBM to preserve or in some cases of extremely overweight who can actually build muscle while in a deficit.
    By eating slightly lower than TDEE youll lose fat while maintaining LBM.
    If you diet down too low at a low calorie, hormonal responses will signal the body to maintain fat stores for energy later.
    Leptin bottoms out telling the CNS to burn other energy sources.
    These energy sources tend to come from protein sources like damaged muscle tissue or even organ tissue.

hope that answers your question.

I think if the responses to hormones and LBM and metabolism were as severe as people here believe them to be, no doctor or managed weight plan would have people eating below their BMR. They all do.

Do people really think you're onto something from reading internet forums and blogs that the medical and weight loss community missed?

LOL the 200 or so ppl following my plan seem to be doing well.
    they eat closer to 2k a day and lose fat but maintain LBM and are getting stronger.
    To that I laugh!

Doctors and weight loss programs tend to be short term and also tend to have a lot of bounce back.
    It helps business!

After quitting MFP for a while, I came back on starting reading about HelloitsDan and wondered who he was....I am so glad I asked he helped me with a plan and in just 3 weeks I lost 6 pounds, I eat 1800 calories a day...what he says works!!! Just sayin'!!
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Ive just started flowing helloitsdans 16 hour fast, I hope to see some good results and I think he has learn from his own expereinces of trying to lose weight, and succeeding.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Ive just started flowing helloitsdans 16 hour fast, I hope to see some good results and I think he has learn from his own expereinces of trying to lose weight, and succeeding.

16 hour fasting, is a thing from Leangains... so it isn't his... I hate when people, don't give credit where credit is due...:grumble:
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between eating more to weigh less and over eating. Eating more is finding that right number for you -not starving yourself as a lot do. Those that take the time and have the patience to find that right number make this a life change, one they can live with and have great success. Those that do not, get quick fixes and more than likely gain it all back and have to start all over.

Yes, doctors will put people on 1200 calorie diets with lots of "suppplements". Their clients will lose weight fast but then gain it back and start the process all over. More money for the doctors. A win-win for them!
  • ladyraven68
    Options

16 hour fasting, is a thing from Leangains... so it isn't his... I hate when people, don't give credit where credit is due...:grumble:

the 16 hr fast isn't Dan's plan, this is - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map?hl=road+map

And he actually gives plenty of credit to Martin and lean gains - This is what he posted this morning -

"http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html - Martin is BACK! Great article! "
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

By eating more you are feeding the LBM to preserve or in some cases of extremely overweight who can actually build muscle while in a deficit.
    If you diet down too low at a low calorie, hormonal responses will signal the body to maintain fat stores for energy later.
    These energy sources tend to come from protein sources like damaged muscle tissue or even organ tissue.

I think if the responses to hormones and LBM and metabolism were as severe as people here believe them to be, no doctor or managed weight plan would have people eating below their BMR. They all do.

Do people really think you're onto something from reading internet forums and blogs that the medical and weight loss community missed?

they eat closer to 2k a day and lose fat but maintain LBM and are getting stronger.
    To that I laugh!

Doctors and weight loss programs tend to be short term and also tend to have a lot of bounce back.
    It helps business!

Yes, I'm sure the entire medical and scientific community have it all wrong and you have it right.

Of course people can lose at a higher deficit. What they can't do is lose more than they can at a lower deficit.

Forum readers sent the Kimkins gal millions of dollars for her diet plan. Did that mean it was based on scientific facts? At least your's isn't dangerous.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimkins
  • ladyraven68
    Options

To that I laugh!

It helps business!

Yes, I'm sure the entire medical and scientific community have it all wrong and you have it right.

Of course people can lose at a higher deficit. What they can't do is lose more than they can at a lower deficit.

Forum readers sent the Kimkins gal millions of dollars for her diet plan. Did that mean it was based on scientific facts? At least your's isn't dangerous.

Quality is better than quantity.
    The people following this are losing fat,and maintaining muscle.
    That's more important to them than losing fast, but losing lean mass along the way.

And as for knowing better than the medical authorities, I have never seen anyone in the medical industry say that losing weight by eating less than you take in is bad - in fact that's exactly what they recommend you do.

We all agree on what you need to do - take a deficit from TDEE.
    The only thing people are disagreeing on , is how big that defict should be.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I wish I were unscrupulous enough to do something like that. So much more money in BS than in the truth.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    To everyone who explained emtwl ,Thank You for explaining this, I finally understand.
  • mcarter99
    Options

I wish I were unscrupulous enough to do something like that. So much more money in BS than in the truth.

She's still in business, albeit with a disclosure on her site that's probably court ordered.
    http://www.kimkins.com/
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^
    8831553_3743.jpg
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow.. people are so closed minded! if they don't want to keep the weight they lose off that's their stupidity Dan. We all know your right.!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

To that I laugh!

It helps business!

I'm mot making any money off the ppl I help so I only want them to lose the weight the correct way.
    I don't want them to crash diet down to goal then come back a year later after it all came back but now it's harder to take off.
    Same thing with 128 question PTs.
    They have brand new clients doing ****ty 4 day splits because they know that the client will have to keep coming back.
    Not to mention the MediFast groups and the deals they have with food companies is all based around money.
    So unless you've tried my plans or any type of "Eat More to Weigh Less" I don't see how you could refute it.
    It makes logical sense.
    You fuel your day not starve it.
    AND
    The fact that I have ppl who rarely plateau and constantly lose says volumes on how well this works.
    Either you try it and see for yourself or STFU about it.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options

To that I laugh!

It helps business!

I'm mot making any money off the ppl I help so I only want them to lose the weight the correct way.
    I don't want them to crash diet down to goal then come back a year later after it all came back but now it's harder to take off.
    Same thing with 128 question PTs.
    They have brand new clients doing ****ty 4 day splits because they know that the client will have to keep coming back.
    Not to mention the MediFast groups and the deals they have with food companies is all based around money.
    So unless you've tried my plans or any type of "Eat More to Weigh Less" I don't see how you could refute it.
    It makes logical sense.
    You fuel your day not starve it.
    AND
    The fact that I have ppl who rarely plateau and constantly lose says volumes on how well this works.
    Either you try it and see for yourself or STFU about it.

I have been following Dan's plan for a few months. I have lost weight during that time...and 30 inches since March 2. When I started MFP I did the recommended 1200 and it took about 3 weeks for me to realize it sucks. I had NO energy at all. I also was constantly hungry - which led to binges, which led to guilt trips. After reading Dan's information, having him run my #..I'm not losing as quickly as I was (on the scale). I have, however, lost all those inches since starting the higher cals. I have more energy, I'm not obsessed with the counting calories and my binges have basically stopped.

I'll admit - I was very nervous about starting the higher calories - but I am glad I did!
  • lazydaisy88
    lazydaisy88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What that means is when you eat enough, you aren't putting your body in starvation mode.

If you drop your calorie intake by a considerable amount (like 600 calories a day in an attempt to lose weight) and start starving yourself, your body will start to hold on to every calorie you eat and store it as fat because it thinks you are starving and there is no food. However, if you eat small meals frequently and do not starve yourself, then your body has no reason to hold on to calories, thus increasing your metabolism which promotes weight loss. Of course, exercise promotes health and increases metabolism too.

Well put! :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What that means is when you eat enough, you aren't putting your body in starvation mode.

If you drop your calorie intake by a considerable amount (like 600 calories a day in an attempt to lose weight) and start starving yourself, your body will start to hold on to every calorie you eat and store it as fat because it thinks you are starving and there is no food. However, if you eat small meals frequently and do not starve yourself, then your body has no reason to hold on to calories, thus increasing your metabolism which promotes weight loss. Of course, exercise promotes health and increases metabolism too.

Well put! :tongue:

Meal timing has no impact on metabolism (everything else being equal re calories and macros)
  • mcarter99
    Options
    Dan- I am not going to STFU about it. I think it's terrific you're helping people. I think losing slowly is a fabulous idea. I have never once advocated any specific calorie level, much less Medifast level.

What I will not STFU about is the misinformation here. I care about the people, too. Theories are fine but not presented as facts.

Yes, you will lose more LBM at lower calorie levels and yes, your odds of regaining are higher. But you absolutely will not lose more by eating more. It's impossible. If metabolism was that elastic, someone besides you would've noticed by now.

There are people on here daily that are confused as hell by the contradictory information. MFP and everywhere else gives them a floor of 1200. Then people here say, "NO! You can't eat below your BMR!" Then the confused people say, "I'm stalled!" or "I have a headache!" and people here automatically jump to "Eat more! You're hurting yourself! Join this group! I eat 2000 calories a day and the weight is falling off me!"

It seems like a lot of people have wasted a lot of time trying to 'eat more and lose more' and have gained, and some have succeeded. I wonder how many gave up and left the site and are not here to post that it didn't work for them? They probably feel like they failed or they 'broke' their metabolism permanently by taking the original MFP rec of 1200 for 2 weeks.
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    To the OP - It may be a good idea to have a read of these threads

Plenty of people who have upped calories and lost better.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518533-major-sucess-with-higher-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395881-people-who-lost-weight-eating-more?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531086-before-and-after-pics-no-starvation?

These threads are a few months old now, so it would be interesting to see how many of them are still around, and how many of them are still eating at that level.