ARE YOU TREATED DIFFERENTLY AFTER YOUR WEIGHT LOSS?

Options
I am seeing all these amazing transformations and just curious if anyone feels like people have treated them differently after their loss? Maybe people that may have been rude before or family and now that you are thinner they treat you better?

or if there are people that have lost the weight, if you are treating over weight people differently, now that you are thinner? Do you look or treat people differently after you have lost the weight?

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I am treated more like a human being. An attractive one, at that.
  • nlassite
    nlassite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get more free stuff and people actually waiting to hold the door for me for an extended amount of time.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    people held the door for me when I was heavy,they are less likely too now,
    I was actually treated better before I lost 60 pounds.
    lucky for me I dont care if people are rude to me
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Yes.

#1. My mum is jealous. She told me this to my face. She has been trying to lose weight for years, but doesn't want to believe it's all hard work, she wants to take a pill and be done.
    She keeps trying to make me eat all sorts of junk food and keeps telling me that I look fat.

#2. Guys that used to bully me for being fat are now asking me out, and me laughing in their face haha.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Even though I'm only half way to my goal (52 out of 100 pounds) I still get treated differently. People don't snicker when I walk by anymore and people are more willing to help me at work and when I'm out in general. *shrug*
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I get more double looks... Just a lot more guys checking me out in general but I think it has to do more with the fact that my confidence level is wayyy higher that it was before. Not that I had the worst self esteem or anything but exercising and taking time to do healthy things for me has made me fall in love with myself and I think people respond well to that.
  • JenS826
    JenS826 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and went from a tight size 20 to a size 4 and YES, you do get treated differently. Most of the time, it's better; sometimes it's not. But not only is it that I believe I'm seen differently, but I know for a fact that I project myself as more confident and attractive. Before I lost the weight, I was taught a lesson that people see you as you project yourself. I began experimenting then and it's very true.

But then I gained some weight back and I am currently in size 6/8. That's still not too bad but I feel icky and unattractive. I've noticed I don't project myself the same way -- I don't hold my head up high; I don't wear flattering clothes; I avoid eye contact because I'm afraid of just getting looked over.

If you have a lot of overweight people in your circle, there will probably be some resentment on their parts toward you. But all in all, your health is the most important part of the weight loss; looking great is a wonderful bonus! I now have other people in my life who are more conscious of their health and their eating habits so I value that rather than hanging out with the friends who excuse every piece of garbage we put into our mouths.

BTW, I recently began losing some of the weight I gained back and my goal is to at least be a comfortable 6! Good luck to you!
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    People are more rude to me, but whatever.
    I've always thought the same about overweight people... some can't help it, but I disagree with the lazy ones who sit around and stuff there faces with fast food while complaining about being overweight... makes me sick.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and I can't say I love it. I think I was fat because I have issues with being seen as a sexual object (I had a bad thing happen to me when I was a teenager). I realize that I've been struggling with my weight for my entire life because of that after reading some accounts here on this forum. I see my awareness of this as very much healing, and I have every confidence that I will be a healthy weight for the rest of my life.

So yeah, I get looks and whistles now which is unwanted, but I don't get hit on, thankfully.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I've always thought the same about overweight people... some can't help it, but I disagree with the lazy ones who sit around and stuff there faces with fast food while complaining about being overweight... makes me sick.
    Judgmental. You need to walk a mile in someone else's shoes before making such an ugly statement.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I get more double looks... Just a lot more guys checking me out in general but I think it has to do more with the fact that my confidence level is wayyy higher that it was before. Not that I had the worst self esteem or anything but exercising and taking time to do healthy things for me has made me fall in love with myself and I think people respond well to that.
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    People with confidence radiate it and shine just a little brighter than less confident ppl...
  • lrivera85
    lrivera85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Big difference, but it may also be the way I interact with people as well now too. I'm more out going, I'm not a hermit crab anymore. I am being noticed more however people seem to be more polite with me as well.
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    I was treated very differently in high school after my weight loss. Most ppl in general are nicer to me, respond well to me, hold the door open, etc. But I've also noticed as I've gotten older and stayed in shape and a lot of my friends/coworkers who are my age and have gained weight and continue with unhealthy habits (and a lot of heavy drinkers in my town) that I'm treated with animosity by a lot of females my age and at work. And I get teased a lot behind my back b/c I'm so enthusiastic about fitness...like they'll say "enjoy that workout! I'm enjoying my fourth glass of wine"..alrighty chick! Better you than me! lol
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My husband can't keep his hands off me. And it makes me crazy! OK, I know I wasn't as attractive when I was fatter--- and he stood by me, regardless--- but, a little impulse control, please? LOL how do you tell your husband to back off when he's not really "doing" anything, just touching my leg or my hair or holding my hand all the time.
  • bandenna
    bandenna Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Judgmental. You need to walk a mile in someone else's shoes before making such an ugly statement.

I agree. That was rude
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My family used to feel sorry for me. They would go out of their way to be extra nice to me because they knew I got picked on a lot. My dad would bring home flowers every Valentine's day when I was young because he knew it was a hard day for me to be in school. I'd always get insincere 'have you lost weight?'s even though I was strictly gaining.

Now they're proud of me or better. Instead of 'have you lost weight?' I get amazed looks from family members I haven't seen in a while. My dad smiles at me like he never did when I was overweight and tells me he loves to see me happy. My sister comes to me for nutrition advice and invites me to come party with her. My mom is jealous because I can fit into her old clothes and she can't. My sister-in-law who struggles with her own weight told me I was an inspiration, and shares recipes with me regularly. She even took up Zumba!

As for how I treat people, idk. I've always been very reserved and happier when left to my own devices. That hasn't changed and I didn't expect it to. I think it was less of a self-esteem thing and more of a not-very-interested-in-socializing thing.
  • bigboytriathlon
    bigboytriathlon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Aboslutely. I am still a big boy, but down a lot of weight from where I began. My boss even mentioned, without crossing the line to go to HR, that he has supported my weight loss as a career tool (it is true, and unwritten, that more actively fit people make and are more productive and viewed as "better" employees).
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

How do you know this about anyone you just see out at stores and in the street? How are you sure they just sit around and stuff their faces all day?
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am treated less like a door mat. My bosses take me more seriously at work and listen to what I have to say more. I think a lot of that had to do with changes within myself. I no longer accept being treated like a doormat and I think I have a much more commanding presence. I actually heard my husband tell a friend who is trying to lose weight that I have changed so much in the last year. His exact words were, "She used to take and put up with every one's ****. Now she gives it. I'm so proud of her." I can't even begin to explain how proud that made me feel of myself.