Eating healthier is making me sad

Options
Before I started my weight loss journey I was a baking fool. I was in the kitchen baking up something almost every day. I love to bake. It relaxes me and makes me feel like I accomplished something.

However I find I pretty much never bake anymore. Cakes, muffins, cookies, etc aren't exactly healthy.

:(

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You baked everyday? Wow.

You can still bake, just don't eat. Give it to your neighbors, family, friends.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Then make them healthy. Just because they are cookies/cakes/muffins doesn't mean you can't eat them anymore. A whole wheat muffin made with applesauce is going to be a whole lot healthier then a big white chocolate filled muffin made with oil.

Or make smaller portions, make little bite size cookies and mini muffins, then you can make the same recipe and just eat a little bit of it.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    You baked everyday? Wow.

That's a waste of money! Lol. We have a set amount of funds we allow ourselves for food each month so I don't want to use it all and give it away.

And yes I baked everday. Breads, muffins, cookies, cake, etc. Some of them were healthier versions. Like sweet potato cookies or zuchinni muffins. But they are still not the healthiest or carb friendly, haha.
  • loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    Options
    There are some lower calorie things that I bake every now and then, like banana muffins and brownies that are butter free so much healthier that traditional brownies.
    Also I bake and then freeze or take the goodies into work so I don't eat them all to myself!! Having a healthier lifestyle doesn't mean having to give up a much loved hobby, maybe just bake once a week or something.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You baked everyday? Wow.

Exactly! I do the same thing. Co-workers are a good group too, especially if you work with a large number of people! Who doesn't like a little chocolate chip cookie with their coffee in the office? :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to give it away, how about baking things that freeze well? I know you'd still have to cut down since you're not eating that stuff as much, but it seems a shame to stop doing it altogether if it's something you really enjoy.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Now's the time to look for recipes to adapt! Almond milk can often substitute for regular milk. try using a mix of white and whole wheat flour to make your goodies just a little better for you. Or, better yet, grind some old fashioned oats in a food mill to make oat flour. Make meringue cookies (around 35 - 55 calories each depending on size). Make homemade granola bars. Use apple sauce instead of oil. Or, mashed banana. Create some recipes and share with us.
  • coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    how about you make a business out of it. Bake them and sell them at farmers markets or flea markets or something.
  • mrsgokev
    mrsgokev Posts: 20
    Options
    Maybe use this as a time to figure out new recipes and ways to make things lower in calories. Bake muffins and freeze the excess so you aren't tempted to dig in to them all the time. I know for me it is hard to have them around because it is just so easy to grab and go. I recently came across a site where the lady blogged about her recipes and used different greek yogurt flavors in her breads/muffins. I made some of the muffins and they were so good and low in calories!
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    You could always bake them and and sell them :)
  • Alexstrasza
    Options
    how about you make a business out of it. Bake them and sell them at farmers markets or flea markets or something.

I actually thought about doing that. I'm a stay at home mom so I have the time to do it. My son loves helping me bake to. He likes to mix the stuff, lol.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of healthy recipes!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/486848-73-calorie-chocolate-cupcakes

Here's one right here!

And you know, even the full-calorie recipes aren't off limits if you watch your portions. I eat 1 or 2 storebought peanut-butter-chocolate-chip cookies every day and they don't throw off my counts.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com
    400caloriesorless.com
    skinnytaste.com

Not always for baking, but great ideas all the time!
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Then make them healthy. Just because they are cookies/cakes/muffins doesn't mean you can't eat them anymore. A whole wheat muffin made with applesauce is going to be a whole lot healthier then a big white chocolate filled muffin made with oil.

Or make smaller portions, make little bite size cookies and mini muffins, then you can make the same recipe and just eat a little bit of it.

^^ I agree with her.It'd be a lot of fun if you looked up new, healthier, recipes that give you a substitute of an ingredient that you are not used to using. And you can still eat those things. Just not all the time, or limit yourself to 1-2 cookies etc. Life isnt over hunny :) Its just about becoming more healthy and portion control.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I worked two full time jobs for the longest time - one of which as a Chef.

Let me tell you something - I didnt give up on it, not one bit. I still bake like a madwoman for private orders/requests, great side money - especially with the cost of gas still being rediculous.

I have many food allergies and sensitivities but I dont let that stop me from baking, cooking and prepping anything - period!!!!!!!

Last night we had an unexpected guest come over - a friend of my husband's... I got so damn excited because it meant I was cooking more food (yeah, Im crazy).. and I was so excited about it that I did some baking to have a dessert to offer if they wanted it.

Honestly speaking, I dont miss the baked goods.. I do though bask in the aroma of smelling them as they bake. But I have no desire to ever have them again simply because of how sick I get...

They had "Grasshopper" blonde-brownies: Godiva chocolate and white chocolate, little bit of kahlua in the mix, and a mousse frosting on top that had DeKuyper's dark creme de minthe... You wanna see two grown up men turn into little giggling boys??? LOL!!!!!!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I bake when I am trying to avoid doing something else, usually school work or housework. It isn't an accomplishment, it is something we hide behind to feel worthwhile. Find something else that really is worthwhile and it will give you much more of a sense of accomplishment.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I didn't bake every day but I really did enjoy baking! It relaxed me, gave me a sense of accomplishment by making something beautiful and enjoyable from using my own two hands.

I missed it for a while, but I decided to get creative with other foods. I sort of channeled that energy or thought or whatever you want to call it, into making healthier foods for meals. It took some getting used to, but it worked. I still bake as a special treat for us on a holiday or birthday, and I do still miss it sometimes, but it is so much better for us NOT to consume that many baked goods. We still have some as a rare treat but not all the time.
  • Alexstrasza
    Options
    I bake when I am trying to avoid doing something else, usually school work or housework. It isn't an accomplishment, it is something we hide behind to feel worthwhile. Find something else that really is worthwhile and it will give you much more of a sense of accomplishment.

That's a bit of a judgement. Maybe you did it to hide behind, but that's not why I did it.

I truely enjoyed it. I loved creating my own recipes and trying out new things and then having my hubby and family try them and tell me what they thought.
    It was just the process of it. Putting all those ingredients together and adjusting them just so to create that perfect level of fluff, or moistness, or sweetness.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I loved creating my own recipes and trying out new things and then having my hubby and family try them and tell me what they thought.
    It was just the process of it. Putting all those ingredients together and adjusting them just so to create that perfect level of fluff, or moistness, or sweetness.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ValkyrieFD
    ValkyrieFD Posts: 83
    Options
    Bake and donate to the homeless, the boys & girls clubs, the schools etc! And you should always allow your self a sample every now and then, just don't do it all the time <3.

And if it makes you feel better, it could be worse. I am on an optimist70 liquid diet I haven't ate solid food in two weeks hehe <3