The Goth/Alternative Thread

Options
Just thought I'd start a thread for all the outcasts to gather while we try and lose weight in our batcaves...

Sadly I don't seem to fit into most of threads on the message boards...

Is there any interest? Because I seem to be the only one who works out to Sisters of Mercy.

Because I'd love to get/give support to those as weird as me.

:-)

Replies

• amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    You are not alone. I don't fit well into much of the boards on here ... although they do have some interesting topics brought up.... would be nice to get in a board for the alt./ goth ppl. on here...
  • Huxalyn
    Huxalyn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hehehe. You've actually stumbled across one of my favorite topics to meditate over:

To what extent does everyone feel separate? Truly, to completely think of yourself in terms of the individual, by definition you are "separate" or an "outsider."

As most human beings are self-aware, most everyone, at some time or another, must go through the alienation that is paired with the knowledge that you are separate from those around you. That you are "alone."

And THEN, hit the other side of that realization--that if everyone is their own, separate individual, that we are therefore sharing the same kind of alienation. Hence, none of us is ever completely "alone"--we've all gone through some period of separation, of alienation. We can, if we chose, relate to anyone else on the planet through the common experience of being...human.

Not the answer you're looking for, I'm sure, but I couldn't resist. So from one weirdo to another, you have my support--I don't listen to Sisters of Mercy (or even know who they are, but I will look them up), but I salute you in your efforts and wish you luck.

:drinker:
  • tacey21
    tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to be goth... but was too lazy.

Does that count?

Lol.

I have a broad range of interests, so working out to Sisters of Mercy might be fun to try. (pirate time!)

But I'm here, fairly open minded, and have been described as weird/quirky... so... I think it counts a bit. Not a lot, I'll admit. But a little :)
  • MarshJulie1989
    Options
    Sorry to hate a bit, but it seems to me that being "gothic" pretty much excludes you from being a health-nut. to be gothic, by definition, you accept the inevitability of death and the futility of life. I would argue that listening to a certain genre of music doesn't make you "goth" at all.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    I've always thought labels were trendy. JMHO.

I support anyone, regardless. :wink:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I could listen to SOM and Ministry all day, but too keep my azz moving, I need techno too. "Bring Me To Life" plus benny bennassi, is how I improve the HR. Just my .02 cents frm a Goth/Dance nut.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    So funny cause I read Sisters of Mercy and immediately thought of the Roman Catholic Sisters of Mercy.

At any rate -- good luck on your endeavors. Sorry you don't feel you "fit" in with most here. I haven't really found a thread for their theology or identifying type but I can see how some topics may not appeal.
  • LadyAshe
    LadyAshe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I could listen to SOM and Ministry all day, but too keep my azz moving, I need techno too. "Bring Me To Life" plus benny bennassi, is how I improve the HR. Just my .02 cents frm a Goth/Dance nut.

Hahaha I thought I would NEVER EVER meet someone else with a taste of music as ecclectic as my own !! :flowerforyou:

I am usually a hard rocker but also really into dance music (among other things). Everyone always told me it was odd!!!
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If you've got nothing good to say, don't say anything at all. I'm not about to give you a lecture on the definition of goth, because there is none.

I had a feeling this would happen.
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    Options
    And I doubt I'd get this kinda hate if I was gay/bi and was wanting to start a fitness support group.

Wow, this just totally shat on my day.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    If you've got nothing good to say, don't say anything at all. I'm not about to give you a lecture on the definition of goth, because there is none.

I agree...way to come in and crap on someone's thread! That wasn't very nice of them.

Do you own thing, who cares what anyone else thinks? Don't let them get to you.
  • EllenJ
    Options
    Sorry Patty,

I guess you should have started your thread by saying "Only reply if you are goth/alt. No pscho babble/support needed from soccer moms."

I completely understand. I am not a joiner in life. I cruise on the periphery, watching and observing. I have read a million of these threads and never once responded because I don't fit in.

Cutsie poo people with nothing else to do, please stay out of this thread!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hate a bit, but it seems to me that being "gothic" pretty much excludes you from being a health-nut. to be gothic, by definition, you accept the inevitability of death and the futility of life. I would argue that listening to a certain genre of music doesn't make you "goth" at all.

Just because death is inevitable doesn't mean that we should all TRY to get there faster (by not taking care of our bodies and minds).

I support you 100%, and don't let the pessimistic attitudes of a few ruin your good intentions.

-from a former "goth girl"
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I support this thread. :) I still have some of my old gothy clothes from 10 years ago I can't fit into right now. I love the velvet and the lace and personally think it's timeless so it'd be nice to be able to fit into them again.
    Too old for the PVC and fishnet dresses/shirts though, so I'll do society a favour and skip those. :)
  • tacey21
    tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Cutsie poo people with nothing else to do, please stay out of this thread!

So. The only negative thing i have to say: Boo on you.

Once upon a time we're all lonely, we're all outcasts, we're all different, and all freaks. We wear different things, we listen to different music, we sleep most of the daylight hours away and thrive at night by the glow of street lamps or our computer screens.

But sometimes we grow, we change, and we decide who we want to be.
    So any of those people who are just trying to say "Hey, I get where you're coming from" should be allowed.

I know growing up I sure could have used a lot more of that.

So maybe another thread should be started that says: "Goth/Alternative Thread: Non-goths, and recovering alt scenesters need not apply."
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    Options
    I've never fit in growing up. I was always teased about my appearance, my poofy wavy hair, acne, and my overall awkwardness. Then came highschool, and I found a 'culture' that I guess fit me which was the goth scene and I've been part of it ever since.

Anywho, I'm facing a plateau at the moment, and it makes me want to pull my hair our and run around sceaming. And maybe even throw the scale out the window.

Any ideas?

AND there's a new episode Big Bang Theory on tonight... woot!

Wow, I'm so random.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    I freaking love Big Bang theory. Haha. My sister and I call those "random thoughts", btw.

Hey, I can relate to how you feel about the "not fitting in thing". I didn't even go to class half of the time (I bet most of them wouldn't even remember my name). I hated school. I hated the different labels and all that jazz. I thought it was unnecessary. Besides, the popular people ruined the goth thing. Along came Hot Topic. I remember a day when we used to shop at the Army Surplus for our punked out clothes.

About your plateau... maybe try a new workout routine or something? I've been primarily sticking with running but, I'm trying really hard to incorporate some strength training (I hate it with a passion). I've kind of noticed a difference. Try not to get frustrated too much... you and I both know that only makes the cycle go round and round.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    (Waves) Hi from one of the original UK Goths from the 80's. Man does that make me feel old!:laugh:
    You're not the only one working out to the SOM, they're a permanent fixture on my iPod, along with The Mission (UK), the Cult and even All About Eve. And yes I am stuck in the 80's.:laugh: And before anyone asks, yup my workout clothes are black.:blushing:

Ignore the haters, they are not worth the time it takes to read their verbal diarrhea. And embrace your difference, all the best people are 'odd'. Who wants to be a Barbie clone anyway!:wink:

If you're stuck on a plateau, can you have a one to one session with a trainer? They can help tweak your routine to start getting results.
    If that's not possible, try something different, get hold of some workout DVD's and have a go at them. Or try switching round your routine.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Agree, Goth doesn't have a true discription. It's not about death and never has been. Everyone has their own definition...mine is more Victorian/steampunk oriented. Not saying that someone has to be that to be Goth...lots are more into the metal style, or just wearing black eyeliner 'mall goth' types. There is no right or wrong discription.
    I listen to classical, darkwave, and Christian metal, wear dark clothing (not always black-and some light colors as well), I don't usually wear pancake make-up unless it's to DragonCon, I don't have a bazillion tats or piercings, I'm happy go lucky in personality, I don't fear death and yes it's enevitable...but I can be healthy. My house is very traditional with bits and pieces of 19th century flair. I'm GOTH and very happy. :bigsmile:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Bump...come out come out where ever you are (a little Lestat to brighten your day) :happy: