how do i do only 1200 calories? freaking out!

Options

Replies

• lala40217
    lala40217 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It is extreamly hard at first, so give yourself a break. The first few days of eating 1200 calories are the toughest. Exercise lots and eat back at least half of your exercise calories. If you go back up to 1300ish one day.... even 1400, don't beat yourself up. Your body is adjusting to the smaller amount of food. You will still be losing even if you go a little over while trying to adjust! Good luck!
  • Mrs16
    Mrs16 Posts: 86
    Options
    Eat lots of the green veggies..... And drink more water
  • lala40217
    Options
    thank you!
  • lala40217
    Options
    thank you so much!
  • LJSlocum
    LJSlocum Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The easies way for me would be to Exercise. The more exercise you do the more calories you burn. It isn't always easy to get started, but it is easy. I know this to be true, because last week I wasn't exercising at all. Now I find myself loooking forward to going on a walk. It doesn't have to be big.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Your probably not going to do well on 1200. Your better off eatting above your BMR but less than you TDEE.. If you don't know what that means do some research.

For me, I didn't get out of a 3 month stall until I upped my calories from 1200 to 1700. I've lost almost 25 pounds since April by eating more, not less!

& I don't eat my exercise caloires back
  • frankenbury
    frankenbury Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add lots of vegetable snacks- bulk up your food so that you feel full. Look for foods that are not calorie-dense, and snack on them so that you don't get so hungry that you eat whatever sounds good. Good luck to you- you are in the thick of it!!!! (I am too).
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    OP.
    What are your stats?
    What if I told you you could eat way more and lose weight?
    What if 1200 calories actually sets you back by up to a year on your journey?
    What if in 2 weeks you could lose all water weight possibly dropping inches of your belt by eating closer to 2k a day.
    Or
    Hit search in the forum and type "been on 1200 and not losing" and see what I mean.

If interested I will do custom numbers.
    Weight
    Body Fat%
    How often you work out
  • lala40217
    Options
    you're right. i think my 1 lb. loss last week just disappointed me a bit. i ate lean and clean. walked, did chalean 3 nights after work. the logical side of my brain knows that a pound is fantastic. the other psycho side says... really? only a pound. just give up. you've been overweight your whole life. just learn to live with it. so, i've got the whining out of my system. onward and upward. thanks for listening!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i just refigured my calories from 1370 to 1200. i'd like to speed up my weight loss a bit. i was figuring 1 lb. a week now i'd like to try to lose 1.5 lbs. per week. the prospect of trying to stay at 1200 calories sounds so difficult. anyone have any advice? thanks

Hi there
    I currently have around 1300 calories a day and sometimes have around 1200 calories.
    I tend to keep my breakfast and lunches low calorie as i like to have a nice big dinner in the evening.

Breakfast for me is usually a bowl of porridge or lots of chopped fresh fruit or a cereal bar and a cuppa.

Lunch i tend to stick to homemade soups, or low calorie fresh soups or a salad with either tuna, ham or cheese.

Then dinner will vary from a meat & veg dinner with gravy, spaghetti bolognese, pasta bake, or a stew etc.

Snacks in between meals for me are cherry tomatoes, mini cucumbers, or fresh fruit.

Hope this helps

Stacey x
  • llgeisz
    llgeisz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For me it is 2 things 1). consistency of what I am eating 2). finding the right balance of meals and exercise (if you do any) or life. For what I am eating I am on the boring side I have the same breakfast and dibber everyday and vary mu lunch. I have found eating 6 times a day 3 meals 3 snacks, helps me not be hungry (but a trap id boredom eating so be careful) its about consistency. The balance issue is another story because folk process food differently so finding the right balance between intake (calories) and output (exercise and general living) was key for me. I wanted to do a strict 1200 calorie diet but had trouble loosing any weight so I had to learn to adjust my intake to balance out my work outs and achieve a healthy weight loss. I am loosing between 1 and 2 pounds a week with my activity level and I an feeling great.

Just my thoughts and observations from my experience...
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It's doable. It seems very limited at first, but you simply need to find the items that you can enjoy, that fill you up, that are low cal and enjoy those.

100 calorie english muffin, toasted with a shmear of cream cheese and sliced strawberries
    100 calorie english muffin toasted with diced tomatoes, basil, a spray of "I can't believe it's not butter" and garlic salt, sprinkle of grated parm cheese.

Both of those are like NO calories, and they're amazing. They were my go to's when I first started. All you need are some staples to get you through the first couple weeks and your mind and belly will be retrained to your new habits. :)
  • lala40217
    Options
    thank you!
  • nancyki
    nancyki Posts: 46
    Options
    No one is mentioning protein in their posts. Focus on protein - make sure you exceed the recommended amount. I am on 1400 cals per day and probably average 60g of protein per day. You will not feel hungry
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    Also, make water your best friend if 1200 is really your daily goal. I notice on days when I don't carry my water jug with me (about 64 oz) that I have the MUNCHIES and will eat anything in sight... whereas when I do have it, I can eat normal portions (I eat about 6 times a day) without even noticing hunger... You just pee ever 20 mins. haha

How long have you been dieting?

What is it any of your business how long she's been dieting. Everyone is different and their bodies react differently. She might have just started however she is correct In the drinking water. It is proven to carve hunger and according to national guidelines you should have 64oz a day so it really should not be your concern over how long she had been dieting as long as what she said is accurate. Plus I hate to tell you 1700 calories is maintenance/ over for me so you need to quit trying to convince everyone that they are just like you. In fact eating 1700 calories a day is what made me 220 lbs. so becareful of your advise to others as everyone is different.
  • Lisaherbalmomma
    Options
    Great answer, Bobby!
  • jryan83
    jryan83 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat 1200 calories when I'm not working, cause on days I don't work I'm really lazy and inactive.

One thing that has made eating under/at my calorie goal easier has been to reduce my carbohydrates.

I just did it to experiment and see if that would make any kind of difference. It sure did! I actually had trouble eating all my needed cals. Anyways, thats just something that worked for me.
  • lala40217
    Options
    its all good you guys! i am reading and re-reading all the responses to my post. i'm taking something from each of them and i cant tell everyone how much i appreciate their help. just means a lot to have people to discuss things with and to get good advice.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Also, make water your best friend if 1200 is really your daily goal. I notice on days when I don't carry my water jug with me (about 64 oz) that I have the MUNCHIES and will eat anything in sight... whereas when I do have it, I can eat normal portions (I eat about 6 times a day) without even noticing hunger... You just pee ever 20 mins. haha

How long have you been dieting?

What is it any of your business how long she's been dieting. Everyone is different and their bodies react differently. She might have just started however she is correct In the drinking water. It is proven to carve hunger and according to national guidelines you should have 64oz a day so it really should not be your concern over how long she had been dieting as long as what she said is accurate. Plus I hate to tell you 1700 calories is maintenance/ over for me so you need to quit trying to convince everyone that they are just like you. In fact eating 1700 calories a day is what made me 220 lbs. so becareful of your advise to others as everyone is different.

I have yet to see any good advice on this thread yet.
    The reason im asking is because it seems that none of you have read any of the stickies and have delusions that the 1200 calorie way works.
    It doesnt.
    I've offered you free help to get into a fat burning state of being but it seems that none but 1 is interested.
    I have 100s of PMs and most are in the tune of "I wish I listened to you sooner!"
    So if you post on a forum thread anything, it opens you up to questioning.
    If you cannot handle it, head over to www.hellokitty.com/forums where you can puss around with all the other kids.
    In here its life or death.
    1200 cals doesnt work and ive helped 100s of ppl get set up for their goals.
    So you can take the advice or ignore it.
    I'm still losing fat along with many many others.
    We all eat healthy.
    1200 isnt healthy.
    Get a clue.
    You are doing it wrong if its 1200 cals and not eating back the calories burned.
    You are doing it wrong if you are working out every day without taking any rest.
    Period.

PS: Everyone isnt different.
    Evolution shows that.