Victoria's Secret and clothes shopping...uuuugh.

Options
Okay, I was looking at Victoria's Secret and ended up a little discouraged because they never have my size! I'm a 40C/40D (depending on the brand) and an XL in panties. I hate looking at things and realizing that I'll probably have to order it off their website if I want it in my size, like my body's too ugly to be able to pick something off the rack. My boyfriend's kinda pissed about it too because he loves me as I am and worries about how obsessed I am about losing weight (especially since I've been gaining and losing the same 2 pounds over and over again since the end of April). Then I notice that I can't shop at half of the stores in my mall as they only cater to the beautiful small people. I have to shop at places that carry size 16 in petites and most of them have ugly clothes. I can't wait until I can wear cute clothes that are suitable for girls my age. *sigh* I just want to be able to go shopping without hating my body. >.<

Replies

• marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    old navy and gap usually have clothes in stock all the way up to XXL. .... and while it sucks to shop at plus sized stores at times, i have noticed many stores now carry very cute and age appropriate things. when i was at my heaviest, i had a really hard time finding age appropriate things. in high school, i looked like a slob because all i wore was jeans, tshirts, and flip flops since everything i could ever find looked like it was made for a 90yr old. yeah it sucks to buy online. i hate buying clothes online, but honestly even wearing a medium top and a size 10/12 in pants, i sometimes prefer the things i find online to things i find in the store. i keep getting emails from torrid.com... and OMG i LOVE their clothes and i really wish i had known about this store when i was heavier!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    old navy and gap usually have clothes in stock all the way up to XXL. .... and while it sucks to shop at plus sized stores at times, i have noticed many stores now carry very cute and age appropriate things. when i was at my heaviest, i had a really hard time finding age appropriate things. in high school, i looked like a slob because all i wore was jeans, tshirts, and flip flops since everything i could ever find looked like it was made for a 90yr old. yeah it sucks to buy online. i hate buying clothes online, but honestly even wearing a medium top and a size 10/12 in pants, i sometimes prefer the things i find online to things i find in the store. i keep getting emails from torrid.com... and OMG i LOVE their clothes and i really wish i had known about this store when i was heavier!

I'm not a fan of Old Navy, the store smells like a warehouse and since I work in a warehouse...I'd rather avoid it if I can. There aren't any GAP stores in the area either.

I looked through some of the stuff on Torrid.com. It's cute. I prefer not to order clothes online as I like to try them on first but sometimes I have no choice if I want something that looks good and I just have to hope it fits when it gets here.

I'm inbetween departments. I wear a large on top but sometimes that's plus size and other times it isn't. Sometimes their large is roomy and others it's a medium with an extra inch of fabric. The irregularity in sizing drives me up the wall, which is why I need to try stuff on first. *sigh*
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    .I can't wait until I can wear cute clothes that are suitable for girls my age. *sigh* I just want to be able to go shopping without hating my body. >.<

I hear ya! But it WILL happen. I just took my very last trip to Lane Bryant and bought a couple 14/16 tops and thats it. After the bill is paid, the card is being shredded.

The b/f promised me a shopping trip to VS when I reach my goal. Just another motivator for me....I cant WAIT, either!! Onward and DOWNWARD!!
  • marie_cressman
    Options
    it drives me crazy too. believe me. i usually look up sizing and double check measurements on the site. and i try to go by my body shape... i have a pear shape so certain styles don't look good on me. i'm trying to think of other stores that keep a decent selection of clothes for us curvier girls. if i can think of any, i'll be back! :happy:
  • Erisad
    Options
    .I can't wait until I can wear cute clothes that are suitable for girls my age. *sigh* I just want to be able to go shopping without hating my body. >.<

I hear ya! But it WILL happen. I just took my very last trip to Lane Bryant and bought a couple 14/16 tops and thats it. After the bill is paid, the card is being shredded.

The b/f promised me a shopping trip to VS when I reach my goal. Just another motivator for me....I cant WAIT, either!! Onward and DOWNWARD!!

I have to travel a bit to get to a Lane Bryant (I live in the middle of nowhere) and even then, my size is usually sold out and I don't like what's left. You'd think with more fat people in our area, they wouldn't have so many "skinny minnie" stores. I guess it's a way to shame us into losing weight but still. >.<

That is if my boobs ever get smaller. I could try squeezing into a 38D but I'd be uncomfortable, until I put an extender on it and I vowed to never wear a bra extender again. They just make me feel like a whale. D:
  • Erisad
    Options
    it drives me crazy too. believe me. i usually look up sizing and double check measurements on the site. and i try to go by my body shape... i have a pear shape so certain styles don't look good on me. i'm trying to think of other stores that keep a decent selection of clothes for us curvier girls. if i can think of any, i'll be back! :happy:

Lol, I'm an hourglass with extra minutes. :P

My bf is convinced that VS encourages girls to starve themselves with the models they use in their advertisements and their refusal to carry larger sizes in the stores. He has very strong opinions, lol. It wouldn't hurt so much if I wasn't just ONE size too big for them and I've been plateauing for a while. :(
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I could try squeezing into a 38D but I'd be uncomfortable, until I put an extender on it and I vowed to never wear a bra extender again. They just make me feel like a whale. D:

One of my bras has an extender on it....because its my favorite casual bra and I want to keep wearing it. What the heck? It wont be forever.

How about Torrid? I used to shop there but my tastes have changed. They sell online, too.

Alloy is another site...my DD used to buy from them online.
  • marie_cressman
    Options
    just keep working hard. try not to focus so much on what you can't fit and focus on what does fit. i was at a plateau for months usually bobbing up and down between 185-188. i finally hit 183 this past friday so hopefully that's the end of that. i hardly ever shop in store. in fact, i hardly ever shop... hm... that should change. LOL i need some clothes. anywho, keep working toward your goals and before you know it, you'll be finding your size in pretty VS undies in no time. :wink: and btw, i kind of feel the same way your BF does. LOL i do not look like that model. those boyshorts on her size 00 frame do not look the same in a size large, they look better. :wink: haha!
  • marie_cressman
    Options
    oh wait! what about Cato and Fashion Bug. i used to find cute things there.
  • marie_cressman
    Options
    and Avenue! cute stuff there too!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Try dealing with being a size 26.
  • ladystrange1
    ladystrange1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try Fredrick's of Hollywood they do carry some large size bras also. The thing is both these stores cater to small busted women even if they had your size these padded push up bras may give you the overbearing cleavage.

I guess what I am saying is, you could look at it a different way, and be thankful you do not have to shop there.

Lily of France & Olga brands have some sexy yet functional bras for full figure gals and could be found at JcPenney and Sears
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Victoria's Secret makes everyone feel like s hit. You gotta be 6' and 115 to wear their stuff. I'm 107lbs and 5'3" and I find panties and bras ok, but I feel like a prepubescent transvestite in them.
  • Erisad
    Options
    just keep working hard. try not to focus so much on what you can't fit and focus on what does fit. i was at a plateau for months usually bobbing up and down between 185-188. i finally hit 183 this past friday so hopefully that's the end of that. i hardly ever shop in store. in fact, i hardly ever shop... hm... that should change. LOL i need some clothes. anywho, keep working toward your goals and before you know it, you'll be finding your size in pretty VS undies in no time. :wink: and btw, i kind of feel the same way your BF does. LOL i do not look like that model. those boyshorts on her size 00 frame do not look the same in a size large, they look better. :wink: haha!

How did you break your plateau? I'm so stuck it's driving me insane. I"m not sure if Fashion Bug is still open in my area. I used to shop there all the time. :( Cato? Avenue? Never heard of them. To Google!

Umeboshi - *hugs*
    Try Fredrick's of Hollywood they do carry some large size bras also. The thing is both these stores cater to small busted women even if they had your size these padded push up bras may give you the overbearing cleavage.

I guess what I am saying is, you could look at it a different way, and be thankful you do not have to shop there.

Lily of France & Olga brands have some sexy yet functional bras for full figure gals and could be found at JcPenney and Sears

Closest Fredrick's is like 2 hours from my house. Seriously, I wish I lived in the city where they have better clothes. I hate living in the middle of nowhere without a car of my own. I need as much push up as possible as I have a wide ribcage so I never have cleavage unless I lean over or smoosh them together with my arms. I'd rather have them pushed up high than not being able to fit cute bras at all.

I have some Bali, Ambrielle and Maidenform (although I outgrew my Maidenforms I think...) from Sears and JCPenny's. They aren't super cute though. *sigh* >.<
  • Erisad
    Options
    Victoria's Secret makes everyone feel like s hit. You gotta be 6' and 115 to wear their stuff. I'm 107lbs and 5'3" and I find panties and bras ok, but I feel like a prepubescent transvestite in them.

And as a 5'3" woman who's 195 pounds, I'll most likely never be able to shop there unless I lose at least 50 pounds, which will take a while. *sigh*
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I just started being able to buy bras at VS, but I used to buy them at Lane Bryant - which was better quality and REALLY pretty. If you are having trouble because you are at a plateau, all I can say is exercising daily has helped soooo much. I started walking and Zumba, which I love - and it was weird for the first 5 classes, but then I got used to it, then I really liked it. The elliptical machine is great too. Now I take all different classes at my gym. You WILL get there. Good luck!
  • Erisad
    Options
    I just started being able to buy bras at VS, but I used to buy them at Lane Bryant - which was better quality and REALLY pretty. If you are having trouble because you are at a plateau, all I can say is exercising daily has helped soooo much. I started walking and Zumba, which I love - and it was weird for the first 5 classes, but then I got used to it, then I really liked it. The elliptical machine is great too. Now I take all different classes at my gym. You WILL get there. Good luck!

I was going to the gym 5-6 days a week, alternating cardio and strength training and even that didn't do anything. Maybe I shouldn't eat my exercise calories back like I was before? Now I'm working 4 days a week 10 hours a day at a warehouse when I'm on my feet all day and it's painful to move. So my time at the gym has gone down, not like it's made a difference at all. *sigh*
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

And as a 5'3" woman who's 195 pounds, I'll most likely never be able to shop there unless I lose at least 50 pounds, which will take a while. *sigh*

Well I may fit into them, but doesn't mean I look good in them. I feel like a man in drag. With no a ss.
  • Erisad
    Options

Well I may fit into them, but doesn't mean I look good in them. I feel like a man in drag. With no a ss.

I would like to at least be able to fit in them. It's like if you can't fit into VS stuff or normal clothes than you're not attractive and it makes me sad. My bf tells me that's not true but I'm sure he wouldn't exactly complain either if I lost weight too. :/

(I thought I posted this before but apparently it didn't take?)
  • nsalerno90
    nsalerno90 Posts: 68
    Options
    First of all -- Victoria's Secret does not make clothes for real women. I will be happy to never shop there again. There are other stores. It seems like options are limited where you are which is certainly a challenge but not insurmountable. Try Eddie Bauer -- they size well, shipping is often free and returns are very easy. I am 200+ and typically wear a 16W - Eddie Bauer stuff is stylish and fits well. I also like Ann Taylor Loft (they have awesome sales very frequently and their tops are cut well for fuller figures). Kohls sometimes has good stuff but you have to pick and choose. Avoid the older lady section and stick to the more stylish pieces. They also have a great selection of bras. You may have to work a bit to find cute clothes but you are very attractive and it will be worth it. I have also found good things on Amazon of all places - especially if I find a brand I like which I can't find close to me. Hope this helps a bit.