How many calories are you eating?

Options
Hey y'all!!!!

So, quick question, when I was setting up my goals here, I set my calorie daily goal at around 1500. This was aiming to lose 1lb a week. I just had a baby 12 weeks ago, and while I'd like to lose more a week, my weight has been up and down over the last few years, I wanted my weight-loss to be slow, steady, and healthy--more of a lifestyle change. I have been trying to burn 400-600 calories AT LEAST five days a week. I usually try not to eat many or any of my exercise calories. Just curious as to how many calories you all have your program set to--how much weight a week you've been losing--and any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!
~*Kristi*~

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I eat around 3000 calories daily.
    MFP sets our goals based on a deficit which is a function of how many pounds per week we seek to lose.
    1 pound for me.
    I exercise a bunch as I play hard: tennis, biking, swimming...ect...
    Just be patient; it's not a race.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to lose up to 2 lbs a week, and it has been pretty consistent. I work out 5-6 days a week, and usually have about 200 or so calories left over at the end of each day as I do eat back some of my workout calories if I am still feeling super hungry. As for advice...if you ever have a difficult day with staying within the calories start each day as a new day and just keep going.
  • TasTam
    TasTam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to lose about 1 1/2 lbs a week and I have averaged about that since the first of the year. I do eat my exercise calories back and I usually am not hungry. I do eat 6 times a day, so I really don't have a chance to feel hungry. I'm eating about 1500 to 1800 calories a day.
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have mine set at 1200 (to lose 2lbs a week) and I've been consistently losing 2lbs a week for the last month since starting MFP. Although, you say you try not to eat back your calories from the gym, but the program is set up so that you DO eat them back. If you eat 1500 calories a day, but you are burning 400-600 calories at the gym, this puts your total for the day under 1200. In that case, your body does not function the way it should and it's going to start holding onto anything you intake because it goes into "survival mode." In this case, you'll probably have a hard time seeing results. Make sure you're eating 1500 calories and if you work out, eat those extra calories as well! Food is good, not the enemy!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Set to lose 1/2 lb. a week and am eating 3200 calories a day currently.... I eat back my exercise calories daily..... Best of Luck to You....
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I try to lose between 1-2 lbs a week, usually averaging around 1.5. I have my base intake at 1650, and I sometimes eat my exercise calories, sometimes I don't. I always try to NET at least 1200 calories a day, period.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You need to eat back your cals if you are already set up with a deficit on MFP otherwise you'll have the same problem as before.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've set my base goal to 1,400 calories but try to eat around 1,600-1,700 on exercise days (to get a net of around 1,200 calories). I'm not losing that fast coz I don't have much left to go, but the scale's still slowly moving.
  • HauteHauteMami
    HauteHauteMami Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1300 to 1400 gross calories before deducting exercise . . . I don't eat back but 25% of the calories I burn . . .
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week at 1200 calories. I have been here for about 3 weeks and I have only lost 1 pound.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Mine are set at 1200, and I try to exercise 5-6 days a week. I don't eat my calories back because I'm just not hungry... Sometimes it's hard for me to even eat those 1200 calories :/ But I just started last week and lost 5 pounds. I think it was kinda from "cleansing". I didn't eat meat and ate really really healthy foods (all fruits, veggies, and a little bit of cottage cheese or greek yogurt, or some eggs) I was eating bad before so I think that's why I dropped it so quick this first week.
  • amyonkman
    amyonkman Posts: 25
    Options
    mine are set at 1240...I think thats for a 1 1/2 a week. Some days I have a hard time meeting it, some days I don't. But its about a 750 deficit for me. I also am not going to eat back my calories burned! That may be a little much, and also if you are nursing thats going to be burning a lot of calories too, so you might want to make sure you figure some of that in too :)
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    1250 for my 1 lb a week loss (I am 23 weeks in, and 1 lb from goal!!). I try to get at least 500 cals a week of exercise cals in to eat back as well, but otherwise I am very particular about eating only healthy foods to get all my nutrients in.

BTW, if you lifestyle is set to sedentary like most people MFP is set up for you to eatback your cal burns.
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm eating around 1500-1700, but I am exercising about an hour a day. I just bought a new scale and it shows more than my old one, so I am not sure how much I will end up losing a week.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I eat between 2000 and 3000 calories a day, with my exercise, and am set to maintain, which I am currently doing.
    I have always eaten my exercise calories back and lost weight fine doing that.
  • heartofdorkness
    Options
    Mine is set at 1680 for a 2lb/week loss. I usually eat back some (rarely all) of my exercise calories, and end up netting 1500/day on average. I've lost roughly 2lbs/week since I started here 6 weeks ago.
  • jwhite1301
    Options
    1800 a day... losing 2-3 lbs a week.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm losing about 1.5 - 2lbs per week. I eat from 1200 to about 1800 calories per day based on the amount of exercise I'm doing. I don't eat back all my exercise calories but if I'm working out I will eat back some of them.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I set mine to lose 1 lb per week and I eat roughly 1500 calories every day.
    I exercise 3X a week, so I've been losing a little more than 1 lb per week, because I don't eat back my exercise calories.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me a number of ~2000 calories a day (thats factoring in the deficit) at losing 1 lb a day. Loggin my daily exercise raises it to anywhere from 2500 to 3000. I normally go over the number that it gives me by 50-100 calories. I'm losing pretty much at the rate it says.