is it possible to burn fat and gain muscle at the same time?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I hope so, otherwise I have no idea why I've been gaining and losing the same 2 pounds since I joined the gym in April. Considering cancelling my membership as I'm too tired to go after work anyway since I'm on my feet for 10 hour shifts. Then can't I just eat at a deficit and then build the muscle once I'm thin? This is so confusing. >.<

This is the approach most people take, get lean first, then worry about building some muscle.

Better to have one goal and do it rather than trying to do 2 things and failing at both.

Don't quit the gym though, heavy lifting + plus some cardio will ensure you at least retain the muscle mass you have now.

Also, resistance training is very beneficial for other reasons, including bone density - which is particularly important with women as we are more prone to osteopreosis.

My bones are already very dense. I fall down all the time and have never broken a bone. I drank a lot of milk as a kid and I still do now. :P

At 22, I would hope they are :tongue: - but the problems often arise when you get older.

Oh, and mine is excellent too (and I am exactly twice your age) - all the milk I also drink plus resistance training plus genetics (not sure how much of each of them helps percentage wise - but they all do their job) :drinker:
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I'll look scary after a while.

No you won't
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I hope so, otherwise I have no idea why I've been gaining and losing the same 2 pounds since I joined the gym in April. Considering cancelling my membership as I'm too tired to go after work anyway since I'm on my feet for 10 hour shifts. Then can't I just eat at a deficit and then build the muscle once I'm thin? This is so confusing. >.<

This is the approach most people take, get lean first, then worry about building some muscle.

Better to have one goal and do it rather than trying to do 2 things and failing at both.

Don't quit the gym though, heavy lifting + plus some cardio will ensure you at least retain the muscle mass you have now.

Also, resistance training is very beneficial for other reasons, including bone density - which is particularly important with women as we are more prone to osteopreosis.

My bones are already very dense. I fall down all the time and have never broken a bone. I drank a lot of milk as a kid and I still do now. :P

At 22, I would hope they are :tongue: - but the problems often arise when you get older.

Oh, and mine is excellent too (and I am exactl;y twice your age) - all the milk I also drink plus resistance training plus genetics (not sure how much of each of them helps percentage wise - but they all do their job) :drinker:

Yeah, I hope I can get an office job by the time that happens though. I didn't go to college to work in warehouses all my life. >.<
  • Erisad
    Options

No you won't

Says you. I have this image of me ending up like an ugly she-hulk and I want to avoid that at all costs. I'll work out to get thin and then maintain, if I can ever make it there...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Oh, and mine is excellent too (and I am exactl;y twice your age) - all the milk I also drink plus resistance training plus genetics (not sure how much of each of them helps percentage wise - but they all do their job) :drinker:

Yeah, I hope I can get an office job by the time that happens though. I didn't go to college to work in warehouses all my life. >.<

Sorry, but I do not quite understand your post. (Not being funny/b*tchy here - just trying to understand what you are saying.)

(Took off some of the quotes as it is getting long)
  • Erisad
    Options

Sorry, but I do not quite understand your post. (Not being funny/b*tchy here - just trying to understand what you are saying.)

I kinda meant that if I have issues moving because of bone health issues, I'd hope I wouldn't still be working manual labor as I wouldn't be able to keep up. I guess it does kind of look out of place. Sorry. >.<
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have lifted and carried 40-60lb bags and water jugs daily at work for the last year and a half, I can assure you that I do not look like an Olympian.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem to be working now anyway, so what's the point? I just want to be skinny so I don't look like a whale anymore. I don't need to look like an Olympian. >.<

have you re-adjusted your calorie intake and macros since the initial weight loss? This would the first step, and by that I mean doing it for yourself not following what MFP gives you.

This would be a good place to start

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

or at least use a more reliable calculator

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    . I don't want to end up a buff chick and scare my boyfriend away. :(

I don't need to look like an Olympian. >.<

Yea cause this accidentally happens to every woman that touches a weight.

exactly. I hate when women say this....it's not like you're going to be buff like that working out just 3 times a week....those women devote their lives to lifting. you will never look like them unless that is your intent and you're taking supplements, and in the gym for hours every single day

This drive my nuts too!! It's just not that easy!! Sometimes I wish it was but no dice!
  • McBully4
    Options
    :sigh:
  • mmapags
    Options
    Quote: "Excellent explanation.

In my opinion, the best way to approach this is to make the most of the muscle you have as mmapags explained and then reassess when you are down to a BF% you are happy with. If you wish to build new muscle, then you will have to eat at a surplus (which will mean some increase of BF%). However, many women want to be defined - which is basically what neuro-muscular adaption will do. I think of the muscle like a balloon - a little deflated without working it, but with strength training, even at a deficit, you can blow that balloon up more.

ETA: make sure you get enough protein - rule of thumb is at least 0.65g of protein per lb of body weight. :End Quote

MY RESPONSE: As always, thanks Sarauk2sf for all your great info and analogies! And thanks everyone else for all this great (not discouraging at all) information!!!

Sarauk2sf is pretty awesome isn't she!
  • McBully4
    Options
    I don't look like a whale anymore.

No you won't

Says you. I have this image of me ending up like an ugly she-hulk and I want to avoid that at all costs. I'll work out to get thin and then maintain, if I can ever make it there...

I bet you look scarier as a "whale" as you put it.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I kinda meant that if I have issues moving because of bone health issues, I'd hope I wouldn't still be working manual labor as I wouldn't be able to keep up. I guess it does kind of look out of place. Sorry. >.<

OK - I understand. However, wouldn't it be better to make sure you never had those issues in the first place?

That being said, you are in a manual job which does mean that you will be using your muscles so it is probably not as important than it would be to someone who is in a desk job in the first place who never gets to 'flex those mooscles' often outside of a gym.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Quote: "Excellent explanation.

In my opinion, the best way to approach this is to make the most of the muscle you have as mmapags explained and then reassess when you are down to a BF% you are happy with. If you wish to build new muscle, then you will have to eat at a surplus (which will mean some increase of BF%). However, many women want to be defined - which is basically what neuro-muscular adaption will do. I think of the muscle like a balloon - a little deflated without working it, but with strength training, even at a deficit, you can blow that balloon up more.

ETA: make sure you get enough protein - rule of thumb is at least 0.65g of protein per lb of body weight. :End Quote

MY RESPONSE: As always, thanks Sarauk2sf for all your great info and analogies! And thanks everyone else for all this great (not discouraging at all) information!!!

Sarauk2sf is pretty awesome isn't she!

Yes!!! You are both very helpful!! Thanks!!!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I was about to get involved in this thread but it looks like Sara has taken care of things. =)
  • Erisad
    Options

Gee thanks. :/
    It doesn't seem to be working now anyway, so what's the point? I just want to be skinny so I don't look like a whale anymore. I don't need to look like an Olympian. >.<

have you re-adjusted your calorie intake and macros since the initial weight loss? This would the first step, and by that I mean doing it for yourself not following what MFP gives you.

So if what MFP gives me is wrong, then why use the site? Why doesn't it do this automatically? :/
  • mmapags
    Options

Based n physiology and biology, this it is highly unlikely that you could end up like the she hulk. Eat in deficit, strength train. simple as that. Your obstacle is between your ears with your beliefs. Conquer that and, as my friend Bobby_Clerici says, "all is possible". You can be assured of one thing. If you continue to do what you've done, you'll continue to get what you've got. All the best!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

So if what MFP gives me is wrong, then why use the site? Why doesn't it do this automatically? :/

Not saying it's wrong necessarily (although if you have stopped losing weight then SOMETHING is wrong)....im just saying it's better to work out these things for yourself and in the process gain a little more knowledge into calorie and macro requirements. For me personally the protein requirements given by MFP are a little low, especially for those on a calorie deficit.

Give the links i gave you a try, and see what happens.
  • McBully4
    Options

you said it.

If you want it bad enough you will make it happen.