My mom think MFP is annoying...

Options

Replies

• Antonia2501
    Antonia2501 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people are not on board and oh we'll if she finds it annoying. It's your life! Do it for yourself didn't care what she says it's ridiculous. Good job for doing it so far :)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Let her be annoyed. This is your life and you have every right to live it as a healthy, happy individual. Always remember, you are doing this for you!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Families are funny. You might be playing the role of the "heavy girl" in your family. So your mom might just find the focus on MFP annoying, AND it might be that she doesn't want things to change.

So, I would say, do what you need to do, don't hide it, but don't call attention to it either. You probably want her to share your enthusiasm, but for some odd reason (guilt, embarrassment), your mom isn't ready to do that.

Good luck, and the great thing about MFP is that you can find people who DO share your enthusiasm. Go for it! You're doing great so far, and you'll keep going : )

^^ I agree with this person. I have the same issue with my best friend, but opposite. She wants me to stay fat with her. She is heavier than me, we started trying to lose weight together, then she started getting upset I was loosing and she wasn't. I ended up just not talking about weight loss and MFP around her, she ended up stopping completely, so now I have no exercise/diet partner. I'm still friends with her, but not as close, just made her mad this week, cause she asked me to have dinner. I told her I had Zumba class and can have dinner with her afterwards. She just got pissy and said No offense but I don't want to eat that late.

So yea I feel ya
  • charl_hcafc
    Options
    I would just do what you feel is right. She should encourage you to eat healthily and look after yourself. When I cook a meal I will scan the barcode on my bag of potatoes, or weigh an onion.. it can be annoying at times but that is the lifestyle that some of us adopt to get to where we would like to be!
    I say go for it, regardless of what anyone thinks. If you are happy then that is all that counts!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Oh also, see if talking to your mom and sharing your weight loss goals would help her understand why you are using this site as a tool. Sometimes they just want to feel a part of it.

Hope things work out for you :)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Ignore your mother and never mention anything about MFP, weight loss, calorie counting or anything health and fitness related.
    People are NOT INTERESTED.
    Just let them notice the results.
    And then when they ask, just say "Eat Less -- Move More"
    That's it.
    Sometimes our closest friends and family will drag us down just to have somebody to kick.
    Keep your health and fitness program to yourself.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    My first guess is "Momma Guilt". She's taking on part of the blame. She did what she thought was right...but she sees what you're doing as a way of telling her what she was doing wasn't right.

So...I think it would be a good idea to not put it in her face. Trod gently, when you're healthy, you'll both be happy. So maybe you don't need to know every specific thing in her recipe, but I bet you have a pretty good idea anyway, no?

Maybe on a good day, ask your Mom to start writing some of her recipes down, so you can cook them for your family someday. Then you'll know exactly what's there!

Good Luck!

I think this sounds like an excellent idea :)
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I could think of a couple of more reasons. Maybe you are not doing something she wants you to be doing, so she finds the logging annoying? For example, you don't have time to take out the trash but you have time to stand there and log? Another thing might be that she worries that it's too obsessive. I'm pretty obsessive when I'm logging, which I'm not doing currently, but I'm sure I will again. If it is working for you, which it sounds like it is, then I'd say keep it up. If you figure out what' bugging her and can help her out with it well and good, but don't let her derail you and maybe it's just something she needs to work out for herself.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My mom thought MFP was stupid too. Now she's on here too and she's lost almost 40 lbs...
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Respectfully kindly ask a few questions to see what she means. That way you will have clear understanding....it is too vague so far. Have a peaceful communication...plan to be at peace about how she answers you. Then next time the two of you converse about it there won't likely be heatedness in the conversation. After she has thought about things, she may find herself curious, and won't come across as critical sounding.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    there will always be critics, keep going, simple enough.
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I hope your mum changes her mind. I can't really relate but my mum finds it ridiculous that me (and now my sister) weigh everything, even water (that's to make sure we get our 2l^^)
  • Mommahatch
    Options
    I think obsessive tracking and losing weight is better than obsessive eating and gaining weight...........so focus on the positive, and ask her to please do the same. Good luck, and keep it up!
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments, but one question. Is your mom overweight? I know my sisters are having a really hard time with my weight loss. I'm about the same weight as them now. We went camping this weekend and whenever I took a smaller portion or not finish what I took, they would give me a hard time about it.

I say, do what you're doing. If she doesn't like it, To BAD!!! Keep up the good work.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    wow that's tough. sorry that you have to deal with lack of support from her. if I had that I would probably call her out on it privately. maybe she feels MFP is taking your time you would be spending with her. I know I am obsessed with this site, but I would rather be obsessed with MFP than mindless eating. my mom is supportive and is on here too. if you need support I would be happy to help if I can. feel free to friend request me if you like.
  • hutchy90
    hutchy90 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    159948224235379625_2v8tJrXb_c.jpg
    I am sorry this is happening to you. It must be hard with the lack of support from your mom. <33
  • apetrusha
    apetrusha Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I posted incorrectly...now can't delete....ignore this one :happy:
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    I don't know, my mom's the same way. She will make fun of me for obsessing about calories, then tell me that I'm a whale and that I need to do more laps in the pool. Just drone her out, that's what I do.
  • apetrusha
    apetrusha Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My mom thought MFP was stupid too. Now she's on here too and she's lost almost 40 lbs...

Yes! I like this post because I think the main reason people find it annoying or boring is they simply don't understand it. I suppose if I knew nothing about MFP and saw my daughter logging in as much as I DO (like - obsessively), I might think it was all a bit strange/silly. But when someone takes an interest on their own, like your mom did, it is no longer annoying - because they get it! Anyway, good for you and your mom!
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Be respectful but firm that you want to be healthy for your life. Usually you can make good choices in any meal. I was around 50 when getting serious about weight loss and my mom always thought I was losing too much. I still had 30 ls to go to get to a good medical weight.

The others are right, you'll need to stop talking about it around her. We're your support here. We KNOW it works.

I loved my mom (RIP) but as an adult there were just things about me she didn't "get".