Raw veggies, What's safe?

Options

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've heard of that has to be cooked is eggplant, but I can't remember why. Everything else is fine. Things like potatoes won't taste very good raw though....

As for spinach, I eat raw spinach every day. Tons of people add it to smoothies, its fine raw.

I actually like raw potato, although I don't eat more than a bite or two raw. Also, other than the taste, I'm not sure what would be wrong with eating raw eggplant (it does contain some nicotine, but in relatively low levels). Kale can be a little hard on the stomach raw, but you can "cook" it with some form of acid (e.g. lemon or lime juice) and it starts to break down a little. So...pretty much everything is good to go raw assuming you're healthy.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything can be eaten raw. Just rinse well in water before eating.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies are the best ones to eat raw. I have never done too well trying to eat cooked veggies raw
  • zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Like many others, I prefer my vegies raw. Wash well and buy organic if you can afford it or if it makes you feel better. I enjoy a slice of raw potatoe with salt occasionaly but if it is green under the skin, it needs to be cooked.

Let's face it...birth is ultimately fatal. If you worry about every little thing you read you will never enjoy the life you have been blessed with. Everyone thinks that their ideas/view points are the only correct ones out there. All you have to do is watch political advertisements (anywhere in the world) to see that. Use your own common sense.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    WTF THERE IS NICOTINE IN EGGPLANT?? BRB
  • lika50
    lika50 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think this might be what you're talking about...

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/Green-Smoothies-Why-You-Should-Rotate-Your-Raw-Leafy-Greens.htm

I rotate my greens (dandelion, kale, bok choy and spinach) every other week or so and have never had a problem. I use 'em (raw) in green smoothies and they're absolutely delicious. :drinker:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Could anyone tell me what veggies are safe to eat raw?
    I've read so many different things now, and it's getting confusing. One minute i'm reading raw spinach is ok to eat...then i'm reading it's full of harmful toxins and shouldn't be eaten raw! And it's like that with every vegetable!
    I'd really appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks

Where are you hearing such things?

Every once in a while there's an issue with contamination, but the vegetables alone are usually safe to eat raw or cooked.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    (I think most of these warnings are actually regarding the LEAVES of most of these plants, notsomuch the fruit/vegetable parts) and eggplant i think is usually because it goes bad so quickly and you cant tell right away or some such. Mostly cause its nasty probably.

But hey, everyone has their own tongue to play with however they like.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    ALL VEGETABLES ARE SAFE TO EAT RAW! Corn and potatoes are starches. I prefer raw veggies, they are yummy! Just rinse them off and enjoy!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of any health risk in eating raw veggies, quite the opposite in fact. I can't stress how important proper cleaning is however. Even the skinned items, cross contamination and all that stuff. Go ahead and eat them veggies!
  • TheGreenfaerie
    Options
    Everything but corn?

I love raw sweet corn. :)
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Some vegetables are fine raw, unless you eat way more than a reasonable person would.

Eggplant? It's a nightshade. It has trace amounts of an alkaloid (iirc) in the fruit itself. So massive amounts might make you sick. But we're talking a ton of it. Same with potato.

Spinach can cause iron issues and other things like kidney stones...*if* you eat a crapload of it.

But with anything, just don't eat a heap of it and you're fine. Too much water can even kill you.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    *coughcorn is a graincough*
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Everything but corn?

Ummm, no I like raw corn.
  • monicalord
    monicalord Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I believe potatoes and eggplant :)
  • rml_16
    Options
    don't eat broccoli raw... it has a primitive nervous system and can feel pain.

But ... it's already dead once you pick it!
  • rml_16
    Options
    don't eat broccoli raw... it has a primitive nervous system and can feel pain.

But ... it's already dead once you pick it!

nope, you've just cut off its legs

I already don't eat animals. If I have to give up vegetables, too, I will die. And it will be your fault!