For how long can you safely reduce/cut out carbs?

Options
Hi everyone

I recently reduced carbs for 5 days (didn't completely cut them out - still ate them in the form of fruit and pulses) and, although I didn't lose any lbs on the scales, I seemed to lose a lot of flab and am now much firmer where I used to be wobbly. Clothes are much looser, and the jeans that didn't fit me last year now fit! And this was despite exercising only moderately (2 cycle rides and 1 short run in those 5 days). I truly feel that I actually lost FAT, as opposed to just losing water, or food being expelled from the other end (sorry to be graphic), or whatever.

I was wondering for how long you could/should safely eat in this way (and by this I mean both "How long is safe according to experts?" and "How long have YOU personally managed before collapsing in a gibbering heap?"). I am very tempted to try it again but don't want to do myself any long-term damage. Also, is it possible to maintain a proper exercise regime (running 4 times per week) whilst eating in this way, or are grainy carbs essential for sports?

Many thanks for your help

Vacherin xxx

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There are no molecules in the group "carbohydrates" that we have to eat, unlike protein and essential fatty acids / minerals / vitamins.

So the answer is in general "a very long time". Over 2 years in my personal experience, with less than 30g per day of what Americans would call "net carbs" (ie carbohydrates on food labels minus fiber on the label).

I recently read a book about low carb performance sports which said carbohydrates are not essential to sports and made the point that endurance sports need more calories than the body can store as carbs. I'm aware that there's a whole sports nutrition industry and followers that will say otherwise."low carb athletic performance" in a search engine will feed your curiosity.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have gone several months severely restricting carbohydrates (except for one day a week where I would indulge) and lost nearly 50 lbs while dramatically improving physical fitness and sports performance. I'd say if it works for you and you're feeling good and seeing results, go for it.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    as a sidenote, though, I did eventually ditch that plan and settle on more of a straight calorie counting strategy because I found I was just feeling too (psychologically) deprived
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I ate on the South Beach diet phase 1 plan for about six months and lost 80 lbs. Would have kept going if I hadn't got pregnant. lol I had no ill side effects from it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    There is no dietary requirement for carbohydrate. It's the only one of the three macronutrients that is not essential for survival. In the absence of glucose the body can use ketones for energy.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by "reduced carbs". I cut back on carbs, I consume between 100 - 150g/day. I eat some whole grains & complex carbs (whole grain bread, rice, sweet potato, etc.), but stay clear of simple carbs (white bread, white rice, potatos). I've been doing this for about 10 months now. I also walk on the treadmill (moderate pace) a mile a day for 6 days a week. I haven't fallen over yet.

Low Carbers get around 50g/ day or even less. That seems dicey to me, I couldn't sustain a daily carb level that low for a long period of time.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    if you think about it, humans never ate refined carbs, only fruit and vegetable based ones, for thousands of years. not me personally, but my mother lost 60lbs in under 6 months following the dukan diet which severely restricts all carbs, only allowing veg every other day and no other form. i followed it for 3 months and had no ill effects and good weight loss. i just missed summer fruits too much.
    if you feel healthy reducing carbs, then go for it. i've just started cutting out refined sugars as well as wheat gluten but allowing the natural carbs from fruit etc. only 1 day in and i'm expecting a bit of a crash tomorrow, but i'm hopeful that long term it will be beneficial.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Some people do this as a lifestyle, and as with any lifestyle you should research it and live it mindfully if you choose to do so.

Depending on how severely you want to restrict your carbs, you may be entering the realm of ketosis, and you'll want to read up on the nutritional requirements (expectations, balance between fat and proteins, nutrients required, water needs, etc) of that lifestyle. Just like you're doing today on MFP since you are already tracking carbs and protein and fats, but in different proportions.

I'd recommend visiting any one of thousands of Atkins sites (there are tons of similar plans, Atkins is just a name that pretty much everyone knows) and doing a little research about one of the possible ways of approaching it properly.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    You should be asking your own personal doctor about this. Every BODY is different...by the way i lost 70lbs eating carbs and normally 1,600 cal a day 30min work outs
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have been doing low to no carbs for a very long time (20+ years). Started with Protein Power, then Atkins then you name the diet as long as it says no carbs it seemed to work for me. However with age comes a bit of wisdom (at least on how my own body reacts).

With regards to cutting out bread, baked goods, white rice, sugar, cookies, pizza, french fries, etc... that all makes a ton of sense and I know I can remove those from my diet forever and I'll feel better and have much more energy. When I've gone off the diet and added back those "comfort" foods I gained weight no matter how much I excercised.

However I've also overdone it where I ate nothing but meat and cheese and definitely did not feel as good. Working with a nutritionist I've greatly increased my vegetable intake (as an example added Spinach to my egg white and chicken apple sausage) and do allot more chicken and fish and less red meat (but red meat is good especialy if you can find grass fed).

So the challenge for me is to get enough fiber and in a low carb diet the best way that I've found for myself to do that is to add green steamed vegetables to every meal if possible.

Best of luck!
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - and sorry, I should have been clearer in terms of what I meant by "reducing carbs". I didn't measure the actual amount of carbohydrate I was eating or anything, but my daily diet would consist of something like:

Breakfast - blueberries, full fat live yogurt and nuts
    Lunch - large avocado with hummus and/or falafel
    Dinner - salmon with asparagus and spinach, or some sort of home-made bean stew in tomato sauce
    Snacks - fruit, nuts, seeds
    Drinks - water (still and sparkling), fruit juice (but only once a day and EXTREMELY diluted), green tea, oolong tea
    No pasta, bread, rice, oats, potatoes, refined sugar or honey, or junky carbs such as biscuits or cakes. And no booze!

My previous diet would have been: The same breakfast but with oatmeal sprinkled on, something rice-based for lunch such as risotto or kedgeree, and a similar dinner but with a potato or pasta accompaniment.

Had I lost weight on the scales and muscle tone, I would have stopped the diet. But I actually look leaner and more toned - I have the arms and shoulders of a javelin thrower despite not even doing any weights!
  • chickenFlame
    Options
    I've been on a moderately low carb diet for quite some time (150g per day) and I've felt way better than I used to when I thought I needed carbs (especially the bad ones) for fuel. All I do now is have some fruit if I need that extra burst of energy before sports or a workout. You should be fine as long as you're getting enough nutrition from your meals. Both in terms of calories and vitamins/minerals.
  • loischapman
    Options
    That sounds sensible and great to me. Good luck. The key is to find that healthy balance and make it a life style chang. thanks for your input . enjoyed reading.
  • meh42
    meh42 Posts: 2
    Options
    This isn't truly low carb; you're getting a moderate amount of carbs in the fruits and vegetables you're eating. Looks like a very sensible diet. Are you doing paleo? It looks pretty similar.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Forever....your body does not need breads, pastas, ect. I have been low carb for quite awhile now. I eat berries, nuts, eggs, meats and veggies...I'm still alive and kickin and I feel WONDERFUL!
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You should be asking your own personal doctor about this. Every BODY is different...by the way i lost 70lbs eating carbs and normally 1,600 cal a day 30min work outs

I disagree with this. Doctors are not necessarily nutritionists.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    GREAT new menu!!!! Add me if you'd like :)

Thanks for the replies - and sorry, I should have been clearer in terms of what I meant by "reducing carbs". I didn't measure the actual amount of carbohydrate I was eating or anything, but my daily diet would consist of something like:

Breakfast - blueberries, full fat live yogurt and nuts
    Lunch - large avocado with hummus and/or falafel
    Dinner - salmon with asparagus and spinach, or some sort of home-made bean stew in tomato sauce
    Snacks - fruit, nuts, seeds
    Drinks - water (still and sparkling), fruit juice (but only once a day and EXTREMELY diluted), green tea, oolong tea
    No pasta, bread, rice, oats, potatoes, refined sugar or honey, or junky carbs such as biscuits or cakes. And no booze!

My previous diet would have been: The same breakfast but with oatmeal sprinkled on, something rice-based for lunch such as risotto or kedgeree, and a similar dinner but with a potato or pasta accompaniment.

Had I lost weight on the scales and muscle tone, I would have stopped the diet. But I actually look leaner and more toned - I have the arms and shoulders of a javelin thrower despite not even doing any weights!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I disagree with this. Doctors are not necessarily nutritionists.

Neither are MFP users. Of the two, you are better off asking you doctor.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've just reduced my carb intake the last 3 days, upped my fat intake as well as (trying) protein, and I feel great! Haven't felt hungry in between meals really - will eat some sunflower or pumpkin seeds, maybe - but I feel even better than I did before.

Like others have said - people never used to have breads etc to eat - and they survived and prospered. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here today. lol
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    You can certainly reduce the amount of carbs forever and still manage not to die (contrary to some views on this site). That being said you should be getting some carbs through the form of vegtables as a cornerstone of a low carb diet, with some fruits and generally avoiding anything processed, refined and packaged as a general rule.

Oh, and most grains are pretty much garbage, as is soy. Avoid those things as part of a carb reduction to get rid of the bloat and internal inflammation that most people actually get from gluten. Soy is stright up garbage IMO, messes with hormones, inhibits thyroid function in some people and is overconsumed by Americans especailly since they put it in just about everything processed these days (good luck finding even breakfast sausage in the grocery store these days without soy in it :mad: )