How do you prepare or use canned chicken breast?

Options

Replies

• BosLady1
    BosLady1 Posts: 83
    Options
    I use it to make chicken noodle soup. I am not a cook.. by far lol.. and one day I was super hungry and had some left over plain elbow macaroni in the fridge. So I thought, well why not?

2 c low sodium chicken broth
    1 cup (left over) pasta
    1 serving great value FROZEN peas and carrots
    2 servings canned chicken drained

Throw it all in a pot and cook it til it boils. I then add a tiny sprinkle of celery salt and some pepper.
    May not be the best thing ever, but to me it was a cooking VICTORY lol. I like it and let me just say... I HATE HATE HATE canned soup.. so this was def a win for me ^_^ (((oh and and added bonus? My 3 yr old LOVES it!!!)))

EDIT to add Nutritional info
    Items in this meal Calories (430) Carbs (53) Fat (4) Protein (37) Fiber (5) Sodium (1765)
    Swanson - 33% Less Sodium Chicken Broth, 2 cup 30 2 0 4 0 1,140
    Creamette Brand - Elbow Macaroni, 2 oz. uncooked 210 42 1 7 2 0
    Member's Mark (Sam's Club) - Premium Chunk Chicken Breast In Water (Canned), 0.7 Cup (71g) 140 0 3 24 0 500
    Great Value - Frozen Peas & Carrots, 0.7 cup 50 9 0 2 3 125
    Total: 430 53 4 37 5 1765

Side note... why is soup so high in salt lol. This does make a BIG bowl, so sometimes I have half one day and half the next.
  • DieselGrrl
    DieselGrrl Posts: 55
    Options
    Two ideas for the price of one :)

4-6 oz. (drained) Canned chicken
    1 cup of whole grain or brown rice
    1 tsp of chopped jalepeno's
    1 TBSP reduced fat cream cheese
    1 laughing cow chipotle cheese wedge

Prepare rice as indicated on package (or to make it really easy, I buy the Uncle Ben's prepared rice cup for 170 cal each)
    Mix all ingredients in bowl and microwave for 2-4 minutes until cream cheese is melted. Stir and enjoy!

4-6 oz (drained) canned chicken
    1 cup whole grain pasta
    1 to 2 tbsp light/ reduced fat mayo

Cook pasta as indicated on package. Drain and rinse. Stir in chicken and mayo to taste. Season to taste (I prefer the Creole seasoning)
    This recipe is quick and easy and can be varied by adding different veggies. I like to add cucumber, tomato, and onion to make a summer pasta salad.

ENJOY!
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    drain & mix with....
    mayo
    or
    plain Greek yogurt & some spices
    or
    cheddar cheese, bacon & Ranch dressing
    or
    100 calorie wholly guacamole
    or
    Cesar dressing & Parmesan
    or
    salsa
    or
    your favorite salad dressing& veggies

....on bread or in a salad :smile:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    just like tuna in sandwhiches, or in soups. Also makes a great pasta sauce protein.
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I make sure i buy the white chicken. I drain it, saute in a pan with a little olive oil, add some black beans and onion, cumin, chili powder and make quesadillas out of it. Also good as a salad topping or burrito/taco filling.

(The juice that I drain out of it drives my cats crazy, so they (and the dogs) get it as a treat!)
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Chicken salad (same as tuna) or I add taco seasoning and make chicken tacos.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i think that is why i don't eat it that much either as it's high in sodium like anything else canned.... i have been trying real hard to watch my sodium levels.... i do like the quesadilla recipe and even the tortilla soup. i love tortilla soup and will try it with the canned version next time and see... rotel is the best! we don't get them here but we do go th=o the staes a few times a year and i stock up on them! :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    It's a staple in my cupboard. I make buffalo chicken dip and enchiladas with it a lot -- I also like to cook down Rotel tomatoes, add a 12.5 ounce can of flaked up canned chicken, and 1/2 cup of half/half for a quick sauce.
  • Lay821
    Lay821 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just throw it in a saute pan quick to brown it a little and use it in salads. Also like to mix it with just some craisins and nuts for a snack

THIS ^^ but Ill add peppers,onions fresh garlic.
    sometimes I add Fage Greek yogurt and a little hot sauce throw it in a 110 calorie whole wheat roll-up
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on mixing mine with some plain greek yogurt, spices, onions and cucumbers.. prob. serve it with some couscous or something.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I make a "fiesta" chicken salad

can of chicken
    1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 small can of corn (or 1/2 of a large can)
    1/2 can chopped tomatoes or 1/2 cup chunky salsa
    about 1/2 cup light mayo (maybe less, I really just eye-ball it.)

Stir it all up. I like it with tortilla chips, or you could even roll it in a tortilla. I like mine cold but hubby heats his up.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tortilla Soup
    1 can of chicken
    1 can fiesta nacho soup
    1 can cream of chicken
    1 can of enchilada sauce
    1 can of milk

Heat until warm and serve with tortilla chips. The cream of chicken you can get low fat and low sodium but not the nacho soup. So it isn't super healthy but it is really good so worth it.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    we also make a salad

drain and rinse

yogurt
    grapes
    celery
    carrots
    jicama

I do this too! Red grapes are better than green for this and I always rinse the chicken first because canned is usually loaded with sodium and preservatives.

I do something similar with grapes, celery, chopped apples and chopped almonds - can use greek yogurt or a little light mayo. YUM
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    chicken soup
    Sautee with mushrooms and onions and serve over wild rice with steamed brocolli
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    chicken pot pie.. the easy way

canned chicken, frozen veggies of choice, and frozen pie crust or pastry. quickly sautee in chicken broth, add cornstarch slurry and assemble like a pie.. mmmm :)
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    check the date. . .but it makes an okay chicken salad

chopped celery or a little bit of pickle relish
    an egg
    mayo or salad dressing
    pepper

I prefer cooked chic breast to the canned

I've also used the canned for homemade chicken soup:
    chopping celery
    chopped carrots
    italian seasoning
    pepper
    bouillon cubes or lite chicken broth (canned)
    a few noodles
    delicious!!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    toss it in a pasta salad with lots of veggies
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Personally I would never eat chicken breast out of a can. Are you sure its chicken? I tried it once, never again. Gimme fresh chicken any day.
  • marylovehellokitty
    marylovehellokitty Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use light mayo/onion powder pepper and mix with lettuce or toast bread.
  • MrzBlessedLady
    MrzBlessedLady Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    BUMP